Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h0mi

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
I never got this email. I got a mobileme account for the "find my iphone" functionality which I can now use on my primary itunes accout using gmail. Now let me merge my accounts please.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Who cares? Here is the list of things I want [...]

:confused:

I don't even use my .me/.cloud email addresses.. Anyway to totally disable them in the mail app?

Yes. Go to Settings > iCloud and set Mail to OFF.

I had <myname>@me.com. I was under the assumption that it would automatically transition to <myname>@icloud.com at some point.

I went to try to check on icloud.com, and it told me I had to set up an icloud.com email address. I followed the procedure (turned on email in iCloud settings), entered what I thought was my address, and it says it is taken.

I sign into iCloud with the gmail address my iTunes account it on.

iCloud told you it was taken because it is...by you. You don't have to set up a new iCloud account in order to use the @icloud.com equivalent to your @me.com account; it's been added to the @me.com account settings automatically.

If you go to Settings > iCloud > Account > Mail (under the Advanced heading at the bottom), you should see your @icloud.com email address under the Allow Sending From heading.

Apple said:
You will receive an @icloud.com equivalent for every @me.com or @mac.com email address or alias that you have as part of your account. For example, if you currently have trudymartin@me.com, you will now also have trudymartin@icloud.com.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5441

I have as many aliases as they allow. And now I have three different version of each alias, giving me 18 different emails I can now use. Thanks Apple.

Flexibility and choice: the worst thing that's ever happened. To anything. Ever. :rolleyes:

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
I can't wait to switch from @me.com to @icloud.com. I've always hated the cutesy and narcissistic overtones of @me.com, and I'm not the only one. Every single one of my friends and family made fun of me when I switched from Gmail to an @me.com address. I always slightly cringe when giving it out to people.

I know the nature of this board is to complain about every little change, but I look forward to escaping the stigma of @me.com. iCloud at least has an obvious connection to Apple and doesn't have that embarrassing "look at me" ring of @me.com. And for those of you who still think @mac.com is cool, your email might as well be @middleagedcurmudgeon.com.

Agreed, which is why I stuck with @mac.com. (And I'm not a middle-aged curmudgeon--at least not the latter ;-) ) @icloud.com sounds kinda cool to me, though, so I might adopt that as well, but I plan continue to use @mac.com as long as I can.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Like many here, I also have multiple "options" thanks to @mac and @me (and now @icloud) aliases.

I've also been frustrated by not being able to merge Apple IDs.
That gripe specifically goes back to the MobileMe launch. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention back then, but I remember having the impression that MobileMe would become my new Apple ID and I could merge them. Shortly after, I realized that wasn't the case.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I'm curious about this:

If I change my email address to the new @icloud.com does this change my Apple ID to the @icloud.com since my Apple ID is my @me.com address.

No, for some reason that I can't make sense of, Apple is neither changing the domain automatically nor allowing you to do it manually:

Can I change the name of my Apple ID?

Yes. For example, if you get a new email address, you can change your Apple ID from your old address to your new address. For more information, follow the steps in this article.

Note: @mac.com and @me.com Apple IDs cannot be renamed.
Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

gturban

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
me.com should still be an option for new users, easy to type and easy to remember. I think iCloud is not as competitive in branding.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
Screw the @mac, @me.com, @icloud.com addresses

The ultimate email address to have would be a @Apple.com address.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
As long as my .Mac address continues to work, I'll be content.

I wish Apple would have picked 1 (.mac/MM/iCloud) and stick with it - stop changing the service domain.

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
No, for some reason that I can't make sense of, Apple is neither changing the domain automatically nor allowing you to do it manually:

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

I checked the article, but it didn't seem to allow this:

I would like to change the first part of my Apple ID, from "stupidword.me" to "myname.me" or "myname.icloud. Myname is already one of my .me mail aliases.

Can I do this now that I can grab a "myname@icloud" email address?

Thanks

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I checked the article, but it didn't seem to allow this:

I would like to change the first part of my Apple ID, from "stupidword.me" to "myname.me" or "myname.icloud. Myname is already one of my .me mail aliases.

Can I do this now that I can grab a "myname@icloud" email address?

Thanks

From what I understand, no, you cannot change any part of your Apple ID if that ID is a @me.com one.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
:confused:

Yes. Go to Settings > iCloud and set Mail to OFF.

iCloud told you it was taken because it is...by you. You don't have to set up a new iCloud account in order to use the @icloud.com equivalent to your @me.com account; it's been added to the @me.com account settings automatically.

If you go to Settings > iCloud > Account > Mail (under the Advanced heading at the bottom), you should see your @icloud.com email address under the Allow Sending From heading.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5441

Flexibility and choice: the worst thing that's ever happened. To anything. Ever. :rolleyes:

Excellent post, thank you very much, that really helped me.:)

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
I really wonder why they got rid of @mac.com. I still use it, never used my @me.com and no plans to activate or use my @icloud.com address. Too much hassle, too many people and websites to inform. If I'm forced into fine, won't be happy, but whatever... Life's too short to complain about something so dull.

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
wish I could have (or have the option to buy) an @mac or @apple e-mail address....

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Nothing new. Me.com is easier to type. Not that it's hard to type iCloud.com.
Next... ;)

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
From what I understand, no, you cannot change any part of your Apple ID if that ID is a @me.com one.

Shucks, I was hoping if I changed (or added) an (d0t)iCloud, then I could change my (mac) Apple ID...

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I still use my .mac address, but was forced to use .me for some things. Now I get a lot of duplicate email, plus the cloud email duplicates. I will pass on the new addy.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
For those of you that want a @apple.com e-mail addy, go to work for Apple; that's the only way to get one of those.

I'm still using @mac.com, but enjoy having the @me.com and now @icloud.com

:)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This email fiasco made me actually dislike my Apple products. My Apple ID has always been a Gmail account. I also have been a subscriber to first .Mac and MobileMe. Now I am stuck with two new addresses, but I cannot move my Apple ID to a new address. Further more, my iDevices attempt to use the Apple addresses as default addresses during a new setup until I remember to change those settings...thus I have accidentally sent people emails from this address. I hate this email address fiasco. One more thing that I do not like about iCloud.

In general, iCloud is my least favorite cloud service.

Well said.

It seems that Apple just can't allow themselves to apply common sense to the problem of multiple Apple ID's. Merge them? Why allow users to clean up their accounts?

That's a stupid idea *says Apple*

They can create "magical" products, yet prevent their customers from cleaning up their accounts so they can have just one.

That's an awful lot of fear on Apples part.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
"No matter which address you use, you'll continue to receive all your mail, whether it's sent to your @me.com, @mac.com, or @icloud.com address."

My favorite thing about Apple is their tight ecosystem. No fracturing.

/sarcasm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.