Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMOP

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I'm looking through the listing here on amazon for used imacs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004YLCE2S/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
The pricing is varied. I imagine that the ~$800 ones have something wrong or aren't worth buying. But maybe I'm missing something?

Has anyone had experience buying an iMac this way? How did it go?

The $800 ones are scams. You cannot check out with those items as it gives an error. Most of the time if an Amazon username is an email address it is a scam. The scam seller is hoping you contact them directly, so that they can bypass Amazon.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
The $800 ones are scams. You cannot check out with those items as it gives an error. Most of the time if an Amazon username is an email address it is a scam. The scam seller is hoping you contact them directly, so that they can bypass Amazon.

even if it is a scam, AMAZON will always back their customers if something is fishy about an order.

SMOP

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
even if it is a scam, AMAZON will always back their customers if something is fishy about an order.

If you complete the order outside amazon, I am not sure if they will back you. Notice how all the ridiculously low priced iMacs all have email addresses as usernames.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
If you complete the order outside amazon, I am not sure if they will back you. Notice how all the ridiculously low priced iMacs all have email addresses as usernames.

oh yes, definitely order through Amazon's marketplace, not an outside transaction

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I got my iMac (21.5" 2.7ghz 2012 model) a few months ago through the Amazon marketplace - and the whole thing went really smoothly - and the iMac still has over two years of AppleCare which the seller transferred to me.

scooter2525

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
So I email the name to ask questions. They really wanted me to buy directly from them and not through amazon. Based on it being shady, I wouldn't want to buy through them. But not wanting to pass up on potentially a good deal, I tried through amazon, which gave me an error. So I called amazon to ask why it wouldn't ship to my US home address. They investigated. And now I can't find that deal online any more... Hmmmmmmm :rolleyes: Anyways, so this is the correspondence with the "seller".

I see you have 2 27inch imacs for sale on amazon. Why are they so cheap? Do they come with a warranty?

3:17 AM (16 hours ago)

to me
Hello,
the Apple iMac MC814LL/A 27-Inch Desktop (NEWEST VERSION) is in new condition ( it just had to be listed as 'Used - Like New' as the box has been opened), comes with all manufacturer supplied accessories, US model,1 year full warranty. It has not been used. The price is $804.99 including delivery.If you are wondering why the price is lower than the usual,it is because we have some promotional prices before holidays.Return policy is full money back in 30 days. If you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address to have your order placed with Amazon.
Many thanks

1:42 PM (6 hours ago)

Who is the 1 year warrenty through? Does it have the original box?

Sent from my iPhone

5:57 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
yes,
I am not listed on the amazon website anymore because my stock is about to end , if you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address to have your order placed with Amazon.
Many thanks

and when asking questions through amazon, here is the response I got.

Hello,
Sorry but I've been getting dozens of messages regarding the imac, so for the sake of my schedule I'll only discuss via email.
Let me know what you need in my e-mail:
I assure you communication will never be an obstacle between us.
Please let me know asap.
Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.