Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I don't think the shirt would have helped JC.Levante did not come to play football, they kept 9 men behind the ball, and Twente were not strong enought to break them down. Result a very boring 90 minutes of what we call "Flipper Kast" football.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Happybunny,

Football used to be a man's game, then Continental Europeans got their hands on it. ;) :)

My memory of Leeds United is a mix of hard men and skill - Paul Madeley often got a mention in our house. Brian Clough was unlikely to be complimentary to them in 1975, he wasn't in 1974.;)

Cheers,
OW

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It's hard to score goals without strikers

It would be more annoying if I cared...since we aren't going to go anywhere in the short term, Rogers might as well get youngsters some playing time. I'd rather lose this match than see Suarez pick up an injury.

The lack of strikers is so dire I'd even be happy to have Voronin back at this point. :D

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Happybunny,

Football used to be a man's game, then Continental Europeans got their hands on it. ;) :)

My memory of Leeds United is a mix of hard men and skill - Paul Madeley often got a mention in our house. Brian Clough was unlikely to be complimentary to them in 1975, he wasn't in 1974.;)

Cheers,
OW

That may well be true but the EPL is now dominated by exactly that type of player, and is in my humble opinion far better for it.

That hard man kick and rush football has gone the way of the dinosaurs, the hard leather ball with laces, and dubbing on your boots. Footballers paid a few pounds, and no mention of WAGs.

Here on mainland Europe, teams from the UK were appreciated for their hard playing style and skill, also their grit and determination, Liverpool , Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa, Tottenham Hotspurs of the 70s and early 80s. All these teams were praised here because of their fantastic team spirit and their never say die attitude. There was of course major problems with the travelling supporters during these years, but that never took away for what these teams produced on the field of play.

That being said Leeds was never seen here in the same light, or held in the same regard, as the other teams from the UK. Sorry but that is a fact of life.
Of course I did not see them play week after week in the competition.

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Due to the European Cup matches played mid week the main games take place on Sunday.

Eredivisie

PEC Zwolle Vs Ajax This is sixteenth against fifth, Ajax are desperate to close the gap with the leaders. Sorry JC but I expect an Ajax win.

Vitesse Vs Twente This third against first, and without a doubt the cream of the day. Both teams have great attacking players but both teams have very suspect defence. I think a high scoring draw.

PSV Vs sc Heerenveen This is second against eleventh, but can be far more, by victory here PSV can go to the top of the Eredivisie. I think that PSV will win in a very tight game.

I unfortunately will only be able to watch the high lights of these games this weekend, as my granddaughters are coming to stay. "Go Sponge Bob"

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
PEC Zwolle Vs Ajax This is sixteenth against fifth, Ajax are desperate to close the gap with the leaders. Sorry JC but I expect an Ajax win.
I'd expect a comfortable win for the home side as well.

I had a look over the Eredivisie fixtures earlier, and from a betting point of view the odds on a Utrecht win away at RKC look generous so I've a couple of quid on them this evening. :)

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Everton able to come back and grab 3 points from Sunderland after a very bad performance the whole game.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
So, who's going to be the first to mention Leeds' result today?

Oh, it looks like it's me.

Screen Shot 2012-11-10 at 5.39.40 pm.png

Heh. :D

dommeister

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
I heard that a Middle Eastern consortium was planning a takeover of Leeds - but it looks like Watford beat them to it. ;)

:D

Hernandez is doing well for Utd especially scoring the winner in Fergie time today.

Hopefully they don't become too reliant on their late comebacks or it will come back and bite them.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
:D

Hernandez is doing well for Utd especially scoring the winner in Fergie time today.

Hopefully they don't become too reliant on their late comebacks or it will come back and bite them.

The headline in the Guardian dubbed the game a "remarkable comeback". Really? United coming back against lesser opposition and winning in Fergie time is remarkable? Typical or predictable would be more appropriate descriptors...

dommeister

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
The headline in the Guardian dubbed the game a "remarkable comeback". Really? United coming back against lesser opposition and winning in Fergie time is remarkable? Typical or predictable would be more appropriate descriptors...

I 100% agree with you, even as a lukewarm Utd fan. The Guardian's headline is definitely an exaggeration. My second remark was more of a critcism of having to "comeback" in the first place, not just today but this season so far. It was, as you said, typical which is increasingly a concern. However, I didn't want to take anything away from Hernandez's recent performances.

The comeback wasn't remarkable but Hernandez's performance was definitely above par as was Weimann's and Benteke's.

Aston Villa had a great game and hopefully won't be as close to the relegation zone in May compared to last season. They should be proud of their performance despite losing.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I 100% agree with you, even as a lukewarm Utd fan. The Guardian's headline is definitely an exaggeration. My second remark was more of a critcism of having to "comeback" in the first place, not just today but this season so far. It was, as you said, typical which is increasingly a concern. However, I didn't want to take anything away from Hernandez's recent performances.

Hernandez looked poor last season and at the beginning of this season. But he's looking somewhat better now.

I'm obviously biased against Man Utd, but I don't see these come-from-behind wins as being worrying for United fans - after all, they are winning games and are top of the league. They will definitely be pushing for another league title and at worst finish somewhere in the Champions League places.

The midfield is still obviously an issue, and the defense has had to be patched together at times...but in terms of results its the same old United we all know and despise. ;)

dommeister

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
Aye, United will do well as usual.

Hopefully Liverpool will improve this season. Another striker or two in January wouldn't go amiss. I also think Brendan just needs more time. It will probably take around three years for the team to gel and get back to consistently getting Champion League spots.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Granddaughters safety back home:)

I do love my two granddaughters so very very much, but there is just so much "Sponge Bob Square Pants" that an older adult should have to watch and hear.:eek:

RKC Waalwijk 4 Vs FC Utrecht 0
First off JC it did look like a good wager, but RKC surprised FC Utrecht and probably themselves. After five straight losses, but they started really well and had scored via Teddy Chevalier with in five minutes. The match then went to sleep, Utrecht had most of the ball but did nothing with it. By counters had RKC two good chances, one from Nourdrin Boukhari against the goalpost.
Utrecht started the second half well but again just fell away, RKC scored twice through counters in a two minute spell, fifteen minutes from the end of the game. First Nourdrin Boukhari and then Teddy Chevalier scored his second. Sander Duits scored in the last few minutes.

Vitesse 0 Vs FC Twente 0
Well forget what I predicted, this was a match that deserved no winner and didn't get one. The whole first half there was no real scoring chance for either team. The first real chance of the match was in the fifthyfifth minute when Van Ginkel from Vitesse got a great through ball, but the goalman from TwenteMihaylov was quickly off his line. Two minutes later nearly the same situation only this time the player was Jonathan Reis, after these actions the game fell into a very deep sleep.

PEC Zwolle 2 Vs Ajax 4
Ajax beat PEC Zwolle, it was an easy afternoon for Ajax. Niklas Moisander didn't even make it on to the pitch he was substuted in the warming up. Ryan Babel fell out injured on his shoulder in the first two minutes of the game. Ajax scored in the ninth minute through Toby Aldeirwereld, although he would also go off injured in the twentyfourth minute. Still PEC did not really put any pressure on the depleated Ajax defence. Viktor Fisher scored in the thirtysecond minute with a break away goal. The second half Viktor Fisher caught Joey van de Berg sleeping and scored his second. In the fortyfourth minute it was again Viktor Fisher who headed in from close range. Still PEC posed no threat, only after Siem de Jong had scored Azax's fourth goal, and then took their foot of the gas, did PEC play any sort of football. With ten minutes to go PEC scored through Denni Avdic and Jesper Drost.

Did you know JC the PEC Zwolle plays on a plastic pitch, most of the other teams hate it with a vengance.
:mad:

PSV 5 Vs sc Heerenveen 1
PSV thanks to this win are top of the Eredivisie tonight.
PSV were shocked in the sixth minute when De Ridder took advantage of a sleeping PSV defense to head in a goal. Luciano Narnsingh set things straight for PSV with a lobbed goal.
In the second half it was totally one way PSV dominated and scored on the fifthysecond minute by Dries Mertens with a long shot. Georginio Wijnaldum scored PSV third goal via a great pass from Strootman. By now Heerenveen was completly broken, Tim Matavz scored twice in the last ten minutes, the defense from Heerenveen was no were to be seen.

In this part of the Netherlands everything is 100% OK. PSV back to the top of the Eredivisie, beautiful weather for the 11-11-12, which is the start of the Carnaval season for 2012-2013.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
RKC Waalwijk 4 Vs FC Utrecht 0
First off JC it did look like a good wager, but RKC surprised FC Utrecht and probably themselves.
<mutters to self darkly>

Did you know JC the PEC Zwolle plays on a plastic pitch, most of the other teams hate it with a vengance.
:mad:
Indeed! I think Heracles do as well don't they, much to the consternation of visiting teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.