Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It's hard to call the result anything but fair for the Liverpool - Chelsea match. Liverpool could have stolen it at the end, but that would just have been gravy.

Suarez is producing a fine strike rate this season, and with a partner up top we can hope for better things in the future.

Jaffa Cake said:
Indeed! I think Heracles do as well don't they, much to the consternation of visiting teams?

Columbus often go so far as to rest veteran players for matches on artificial turf. The stuff is better than it used to be but you definitely see funny bounces on long punts and other strange behavior from time to time. Seattle at least will probably be using it for the foreseeable future.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
The Netherlands plays a friendly against Germany this Wednesday in Amsterdam.

Louis van Gaal has picked these players. Normally these matches are not taken as that important, but there are still some first pick places to be had for the national team.

Picked Players
Goal: Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Kenneth Vermeer (Ajax)

Defense: John Heitinga (Everton), Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord), Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord), Joris Mathijsen (Feyenoord), Ricardo van Rhijn (Ajax), Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa), Jetro Willems (PSV)

Midfield: Ibrahim Afellay (Schalke 04), Urby Emanuelson (AC Milan), Nigel de Jong (AC Milan), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburger SV), Marco van Ginkel (Vitesse)

Attack: Eljero Elia (Werder Bremen), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Dirk Kuijt (Fenerbahçe), Robin van Persie (Manchester United), Arjen Robben (Bayern München)

Luciano Narsingh and Jeremin Lens plus Mark Stekelenberg are all unavilable for various reasons.

Yes you are right JC Heracles also plays on a plastic pitch, both teams get their pitch from their sponsors.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Wirelessly posted

SpongeBob would've been at home in the Real Madrid game, a tad waterlogged.

Apparently Sergio Ballesteros punched Pepe after the match. Ronaldo got clocked in the eye as well. Real and Barca can complain, but the more they dominate the league, the more lesser teams will try to kick the snot out of them. And with people like Pepe and Sergio Ramos, Real are hardly a bunch of choir boys...

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
pivo6,

I didn't see the Rome derby. It's interesting to see how the teams cope, and entertaining when the ball stops and players fly past it.

Lord Blackadder,

If you can't beat them, beat them; though add Barcelona to Real Madrid re putting the boot/elbow in to stop the opposition.

Thought for the day - In Stamford Bridge everyone can hear you scream.

Cheers,
OW

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
The Netherlands plays a friendly against Germany this Wednesday in Amsterdam.

Louis van Gaal has picked these players. Normally these matches are not taken as that important, but there are still some first pick places to be had for the national team.

Picked Players
Goal: Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Kenneth Vermeer (Ajax)

Defense: John Heitinga (Everton), Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord), Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord), Joris Mathijsen (Feyenoord), Ricardo van Rhijn (Ajax), Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa), Jetro Willems (PSV)

Midfield: Ibrahim Afellay (Schalke 04), Urby Emanuelson (AC Milan), Nigel de Jong (AC Milan), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburger SV), Marco van Ginkel (Vitesse)

Attack: Eljero Elia (Werder Bremen), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Dirk Kuijt (Fenerbahçe), Robin van Persie (Manchester United), Arjen Robben (Bayern München)

Luciano Narsingh and Jeremin Lens plus Mark Stekelenberg are all unavilable for various reasons.

Yes you are right JC Heracles also plays on a plastic pitch, both teams get their pitch from their sponsors.

I am looking forward to this. Today I heard, that Löw will have to get really inventive, because Klose, Özil and others (8 total) will not be able to play and they are taking players from the Bundesliga, that were not intended to be in the squad.
There's a certain unpredictability (don't find a better word, yet) added to it, what I find makes it interesting so much (though I know one should not be happy, if the top players are not available ;))

-------------
btw. the groups for the Women's Euro Cup have been announced. The Netherlands are in Group B with Germany, unfortunately I have to tell you, Happybunny, that your women's team is not one of the harder to beat (I think it was 7:0 the last time they met).

The groups are:
A:
Sweden, Denmark, Finnland, Italy (one of the harder groups. Denmark has a good reputation from years back, though they never got past the 4th final since 1995, despite 2001 were they were in the semi final. Italy lives from the image people have about the men's team and is investing more the last years, so it is somehow hard to judge how they will do. Finnland at least will not loose easily, though they will in the end.)

B:
Germany, Netherlands, Iceland, Norway (Norway is the one to keep an eye on here for Germany. The last three tournaments they got to the semis twice and got one 2nd place. Island is a knock-out team, short as that)

I do not know, if I should see it as unfair, like Germany will have it easy and will save energy or should I say it makes the other groups more interesting, because it is not everything's clear from the beginning.

C:
France, Spain, Russia, England. Best balanced group and then again not, because France has gotten really strong and England, has improved much, while they made the 2nd place last time, though before that always were out after the first round and now will be a bag of surprises. For Spain the same can be said as for Italy, Russia is on par with Spain. Maybe Spain has gotten better over the last year, too, but for my eyes the way the individuals play looks somehow un"educated", if you can say that (only saw two matches, though).

There is something I should add, Germany's women will have two friendlies against Japan and again(!) USA, before the Euro Cup starts 2013. I do not know, if I find that "fair", when the best use themselves as training-partners :) (if that word is even english?). (France will visit on 29th of Nov., soon)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I do not know, if I find that "fair", when the best use themselves as training-partners :) (if that word is even english?). (France will visit on 29th of Nov., soon)

You mean like sparring partner? :D

And to be honest, having young guns like Holtby in the squad makes me actually intersted in watching NED-GER. Otherwise it would have been the same ol' cash cow without any meaning. C'mon who wants to see that match? (Except all the Dutch who should have much better chances to win this thing. :D)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I am looking forward to this. Today I heard, that Löw will have to get really inventive, because Klose, Özil and others (8 total) will not be able to play and they are taking players from the Bundesliga, that were not intended to be in the squad.
There's a certain unpredictability (don't find a better word, yet) added to it, what I find makes it interesting so much (though I know one should not be happy, if the top players are not available ;))

-------------
btw. the groups for the Women's Euro Cup have been announced. The Netherlands are in Group B with Germany, unfortunately I have to tell you, Happybunny, that your women's team is not one of the harder to beat (I think it was 7:0 the last time they met).

The groups are:
A:
Sweden, Denmark, Finnland, Italy (one of the harder groups. Denmark has a good reputation from years back, though they never got past the 4th final since 1995, despite 2001 were they were in the semi final. Italy lives from the image people have about the men's team and is investing more the last years, so it is somehow hard to judge how they will do. Finnland at least will not loose easily, though they will in the end.)

B:
Germany, Netherlands, Iceland, Norway (Norway is the one to keep an eye on here for Germany. The last three tournaments they got to the semis twice and got one 2nd place. Island is a knock-out team, short as that)

I do not know, if I should see it as unfair, like Germany will have it easy and will save energy or should I say it makes the other groups more interesting, because it is not everything's clear from the beginning.

C:
France, Spain, Russia, England. Best balanced group and then again not, because France has gotten really strong and England, has improved much, while they made the 2nd place last time, though before that always were out after the first round and now will be a bag of surprises. For Spain the same can be said as for Italy, Russia is on par with Spain. Maybe Spain has gotten better over the last year, too, but for my eyes the way the individuals play looks somehow un"educated", if you can say that (only saw two matches, though).

There is something I should add, Germany's women will have two friendlies against Japan and again(!) USA, before the Euro Cup starts 2013. I do not know, if I find that "fair", when the best use themselves as training-partners :) (if that word is even english?). (France will visit on 29th of Nov., soon)

I have just seen the news and it seems that Robin van Persie will not be part of the Netherlands team for Wednesday night.

Louis van Gaal has called up replacements, Jeroen Zoet, Ruben Schaken, Bas Dost, Jordy Clasie and Stefen de Vrij. This selection of twenty three players represents a very new look team.

Well CO you are absolutely right about the Netherlands woman's football team, woman's football never really got off the ground here. I think there are only 12 first class teams in the whole of the Netherlands.
The main reason I think is that Womans Field Hockey is such a major part of life here. There are at the last count there were 46 major Women's hockey teams.
The Hockey team is so sucessful that's the sport that young girls here want to be a part of, plus the schools here push hockey for girls.

World champion Woman's Hockey.
Titles:6 (1974, 1978, 1983, 1986*, 1990, 2006)
Runners-up:4 (1981, 1998*, 2002, 2010)
Third-place:1 (1976)
Olympic Champion
Winners:3 ( 1984, 2008,2012)
Runners-up:1 (2004)

Do the teams in the American MSL have cheerleaders?
I have asked this before but never got an answer.:(

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
It looks like the big story of the season is about to break – word is that Phil Brown will be officially named Hartlepool United manager tomorrow.

images.jpg

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Do the teams in the American MSL have cheerleaders?
I have asked this before but never got an answer.:(

Do you mean in the MLS?

yes...?

but not really cheerleaders per se....

i don't know if this is still a going concern there though. the last time i went they were performing.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Do you mean in the MLS?

YouTube: video

yes...?

i don't know if this is still a going concern there though. the last time i went they were performing.

Thank you.
Yes of course I meant MLS, how very silly of me.:eek:
Of course that could be why I didn't get an answer before.:eek:

I kinda thought that they would, given that the Americans love a bit of razzmatazz. I once went to NFL game when in the US, and I was entertained the whole time even if I didn't understand much about the game.:D

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Thank you.
Yes of course I meant MLS, how very silly of me.:eek:
Of course that could be why I didn't get an answer before.:eek:

I kinda thought that they would, given that the Americans love a bit of razzmatazz. I once went to NFL game when in the US, and I was entertained the whole time even if I didn't understand much about the game.:D

yeah, if it doesn't explode or show some t*t you aren't going to keep our attenti...

cheerleader_1_.jpg

i'm sorry what were you saying...?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It looks like the big story of the season is about to break – word is that Phil Brown will be officially named Hartlepool United manager tomorrow.

View attachment 376876

The Hat has landed. :D

Do you mean in the MLS?

YouTube: video

yes...?

I'm afraid the Crewzers are no more...the Columbus front office killed our cheerleader squad after the 2011 season, their stated reason for the move being a desire for a "more authentic soccer atmosphere". I suppose that means the Crewzers will be replaced by crack squad of drunken racist hooligans. :rolleyes: ;)

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
The Hat has landed. :D

I'm afraid the Crewzers are no more...the Columbus front office killed our cheerleader squad after the 2011 season, their stated reason for the move being a desire for a "more authentic soccer atmosphere". I suppose that means the Crewzers will be replaced by crack squad of drunken racist hooligans. :rolleyes: ;)

Do you mean The Hudson Street Hooligans? :p

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Now that he's injured, Brave Old JT will be at a loose end for a few weeks – throw in a couple of former Crewzers for him to 'smash' and he'll be on the first plane over.

Look! He's landed at Port Columbus International Airport already!

You're not offloading him that easily. ;) He might consider a move to Serbia though, I think he'd be a fan favorite.

Do you mean The Hudson Street Hooligans? :p

Heh, they are definitely not hooligans in the European sense of the word. I think the worst fights I can remember happening at Crew Stadium were the result of West Ham's visit for a friendly there. A few West Ham fans (I wonder if any were actually English) went over to the Nordecke at halftime and scuffles ensued. It's up on youtube - pretty tame, and even that doesn't happen very often.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Well... the hat was thrown but has been retrieved. Talks between Phil Brown and Hartlepool broke down at the eleventh hour, and Livingstone's John Hughes is the man the Monkey Hangers have chosen to try and steer the club from relegation into League Two.

Meanwhile, MK Dons are 6-1 up in their FA Cup replay against Cambridge City. This is somewhat significant because the opponents awaiting the world's favourite football club in the Second Round are AFC Wimbledon, this would be the first time the two teams will have met...

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
yeah, if it doesn't explode or show some t*t you aren't going to keep our attenti...

i'm sorry what were you saying...?

Why thank you I can certainly see that she has both a Perky and Peppy personality.
animal-smiley-051.gif

That's why I love American sports, Bigs Girls and Small Uniforms.

Back to Football European style.

There could be a starting place for Marco van Ginkel in tonights match against Germany. Great things are expected of the Vitesse player, in the future. He is tipped to be the next big thing in Dutch football.
It is Wednesday morning and Louis van Gaal is still not giving out his final team. On the Netherlands side this game will be mainly to get new players used to playing international games.

Meanwhile, MK Dons are 6-1 up in their FA Cup replay against Cambridge City. This is somewhat significant because the opponents awaiting the world's favourite football club in the Second Round are AFC Wimbledon, this would be the first time the two teams will have met...

Have I got that good, MK Dons used to be Wimbledon a few years ago, the same Wimbledon of Vinnie Jones?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Have I got that good, MK Dons used to be Wimbledon a few years ago, the same Wimbledon of Vinnie Jones?
Yes, and no.

What basically happened is this – Wimbledon (they of Vinnie Jones fame) dropped down the divisions after their spell in the top flight and fell on hard times. The new town of Milton Keynes meanwhile lacked a league club or suitable stadium, but a consortium led by a chap called Peter Winkelman proposed building a ground and attracting an established club to relocate. A number of southern clubs – including Wimbledon – were sounded out but none agreed to the plan until Wimbledon gained a new chairman who was prepared to relocate the club, which at this point was in administration.

Winkelman bought the club and changed its name to the Milton Keynes Dons ('Dons' being a nickname of Wimbledon), as well as their colours and crest. The new club also claimed Wimbledon's history, including its FA Cup victory in the eighties.

Naturally this didn't go down well, either to Wimbledon's fans or the football community in general – teams relocating from their traditional areas is a very rare occurrence, and Winkelman's plan was compared unfavourably to the franchise system used in some other countries and sports, most notably the US of course. Effectively buying Wimbledon's place in the League made the new club something of a pariah, and it's still very unpopular a decade later despite renouncing the old club's history and returning trophies and memorabilia to the local borough.

In response to effectively losing their club, Wimbledon's supporters formed a new one – AFC Wimbledon – and started life in non-League football sharing a ground with Kingstonian. Over the years they've moved up the divisions and a few seasons back won promotion into the Football League, and currently play a tier below the MK Dons. This FA Cup tie will be the first time the two clubs have met on the pitch, and naturally there's a bit of a media buzz over it...

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Yes, and no.

What basically happened is this – Wimbledon (they of Vinnie Jones fame) dropped down the divisions after their spell in the top flight and fell on hard times. The new town of Milton Keynes meanwhile lacked a league club or suitable stadium, but a consortium led by a chap called Peter Winkelman proposed building a ground and attracting an established club to relocate. A number of southern clubs – including Wimbledon – were sounded out but none agreed to the plan until Wimbledon gained a new chairman who was prepared to relocate the club, which at this point was in administration.

Winkelman bought the club and changed its name to the Milton Keynes Dons ('Dons' being a nickname of Wimbledon), as well as their colours and crest. The new club also claimed Wimbledon's history, including its FA Cup victory in the eighties.

Naturally this didn't go down well, either to Wimbledon's fans or the football community in general – teams relocating from their traditional areas is a very rare occurrence, and Winkelman's plan was compared unfavourably to the franchise system used in some other countries and sports, most notably the US of course. Effectively buying Wimbledon's place in the League made the new club something of a pariah, and it's still very unpopular a decade later despite renouncing the old club's history and returning trophies and memorabilia to the local borough.

In response to effectively losing their club, Wimbledon's supporters formed a new one – AFC Wimbledon – and started life in non-League football sharing a ground with Kingstonian. Over the years they've moved up the divisions and a few seasons back won promotion into the Football League, and currently play a tier below the MK Dons. This FA Cup tie will be the first time the two clubs have met on the pitch, and naturally there's a bit of a media buzz over it...

and none of my english footy friends, albeit they are almost entirely WEDNESDAY fans, like mkdons at all.

so neither do i! :D

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
It's hard to score goals without strikers

Spain seem to do ok though :)

So not too much happening in my week away. Well, apart from the birth of Ms Fizzoid. Unfortunately she was a little smaller than predicted, so will have to wait before her stripy present from Dad fits ;)

England friendly tonight. I'm hoping Zaha gets a decent run out, although is expected to start on the bench

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Congrats to you and lil' Fizzy then!

I won't watch the friendly today - total boredom imho. And I'm glad that RVP does see it the same way, so he can concentrate on the more important Fantasy League.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.