Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beetlemanptm

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Schnecksville, PA
I saw a new iPad mini TV ad during the Oakland Raiders-New York Giants game on CBS today. It showed the full-sized iPad and iPad mini running iBooks. I caught a screen shot of this ad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

beetlemanptm

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Schnecksville, PA
I saw another new iPad mini commercial during the same game on CBS. It showed the full-sized iPad and iPad mini showing pictures in the iPhoto app while a song called "Two of a Kind" is playing in the background. I also have a screen shot of this ad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
The TV ad link on apple.com is broken, so looks as if they'll appear soon. The UK one works as it's only showing the piano ad.

/works now!

Last edited:

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Just watched both on the Apple US site. I particularly like the photos ad, very clever.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Just watched both on the Apple US site. I particularly like the photos ad, very clever.

Yeah I liked the photos one as well. The books one just showed off the gawd awful iBooks app. Last thing I want to see on my iPad is that fake wood grain bookshelf and page turn animations. Hopefully this is on Jony's to-do list to fix.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I actually loved the books one because of the clever juxtaposition of book choices. Very cute. And for the record, I'd much rather read in the iBooks app than the god-awful Kindle app any day. Maybe that's just me :)

xandable

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
California
It seems like their goal is to simply point out there is now a smaller iPad, and it does exactly the same things as the big iPad. If you "love your iPad", to use Tim Cook's phrase, then you'll love the iPad mini too.

But, I think they're missing an opportunity here to highlight how the more "wieldable" size of the iPad mini totally changes how you use it. A lot of people, including myself, have been saying this.

Their ads should instead feature the mini being handled by people. It should show it being held, being rotated, picked up, put down, tossed on a bed, shoved in a bag...etc.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
How many people do you think got the point of the relative choices for the books in that ad? I'm guessing 2%.

I'd like to believe it's higher than 2%, but it's true, it's a clever detail that might be lost on many. Still not a detractor, since those that do recognize it will make note of it in some way.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Yeah I liked the photos one as well. The books one just showed off the gawd awful iBooks app. Last thing I want to see on my iPad is that fake wood grain bookshelf and page turn animations. Hopefully this is on Jony's to-do list to fix.

I think the book shelf is the best way to display a collection of ebooks. And I would be extremely upset if they did away with the page turn animation.

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
I think it scores mostly on the point that the screens look incredibly similar in the ads. Tough to make a case that the screen is so much worse after seeing those ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.