Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Some people say camera of iPhone can get damaged by laser source.

I'd like to know if unluckily the camera gets damaged in this case, will it be damaged 'completely' (obviously the camera function cannot be used) or will it be damaged 'partially' such that the user might not know but the quality of photo deteriorate in some ways

Thank you for advice.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

I'd like to know if unluckily the camera gets damaged in this case, will it be damaged 'completely' (obviously the camera function cannot be used) or will it be damaged 'partially' such that the user might not know but the quality of photo deteriorate in some ways

Thank you for advice.

Yes it can as well as strong sunlight. It burns the sensor out!

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
But when or why would you shine a laser into the camera?

of course I won't do this stupid act intentionally. However, there might be some laser sources around the places I am going. Just wish to know if it would damage the lens 'partially' then I would avoid using the phone there.

----------

Plenty of lasers destroying camera sensors on YouTube.

I am not intentionally destroying the laser it is non sense. My phone is new and not refurbished one.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
of course I won't do this stupid act intentionally. However, there might be some laser sources around the places I am going. Just wish to know if it would damage the lens 'partially' then I would avoid using the phone there.

----------

I am not intentionally destroying the laser it is non sense. My phone is new and not refurbished one.

I'm assuming these may be some type of IR laser? In which case I have no idea. I believe they say to avoid exposure to the eye with those as well. Basically I have no idea and I'm still very confused where a laser hazard would be a problem for your camera, but I don't think I want to know.

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
I use targeting helium neon visible lasers in my radio frequency anechoic chamber. After a decade of use I was upgrading the Philips CCTV cameras and noticed that the screw-in glass lenses were heavily scarred and darkened by the occasional but cumulative hours of laser activity, this wasn't direct but reflected laser light!. I went and had my eyes checked! The iPhone 5 camera sapphire lens probably could get damaged/ occluded by interstitial darkening - you'd notice some fogging but probably the flip-chip sensor would go first.
Treat laser sources with respect.:cool: don't go near any visible laser over 30mW, and just avoid IR lasers period - with or without an iPhone 5.

finman22

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
yes

so can water, dynamite, drops from over 20ft, getting run over by a car.... seriously????

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
What kinds of places are you going where lasers are so prevalent as to be a concern?

He works for Dr. Evil on the "Laser".

5ase3age.jpg

----------

so can water, dynamite, drops from over 20ft, getting run over by a car.... seriously????

I work in an area where there is a chance that my phone could get smashed by a hammer. Could this damage the phone? Or could it be damaged in some undetectable way that doesn't negatively effect performance?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

Thank you for advice.

Shine a laser in your eye, and you get the same results.

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Hello

Let me be a little more specific for my case.

1. I usually go to bar and night places where there are lots of lights shining around, are they laser? And one thing is - I usually see some strong red light there, they seems like to be coming from the High-Fi equipment. I often go to these places so I wish to know if they are laser or if the laser there strong enough to kill the camera, then I will avoid taking photos in those places if that's the case.

2. Everyone please understand that I am not asking stupid questions. You might misunderstand me because I am not speaking English as my first language. Please forgive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.