Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I'm having thoughts of getting the iPad 4 and exchanging the mini for it. My main needs are note taking by both text and writing on screen (no BT keyboard), reading textbooks, and the occasional game. The mini is great for what it is now but I'm concerned over the textbooks and note taking. Recently I've started doing those a lot more since its a lot easier doing this on an iPad than a notebook.

Help me out a bit please.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you are going to be reading text books, I would definitley go with the 4. You will not have to pinch and zoom and the clarity will be very important.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Thumb typing on the iPad Mini in portrait mode is MUCH easier than with the full sized iPad.

I can fly. It's like using an iPhone in landscape.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I'm having thoughts of getting the iPad 4 and exchanging the mini for it. My main needs are note taking by both text and writing on screen (no BT keyboard), reading textbooks, and the occasional game. The mini is great for what it is now but I'm concerned over the textbooks and note taking. Recently I've started doing those a lot more since its a lot easier doing this on an iPad than a notebook.

If it's e-books released through the ebook store, either the mini or the 3/4 should be fine. I think the retina screen makes a big difference for scanned pdf's. My 3 handles my materials perfectly, but if you're using big honkin' multi -hundred page scans, the 4 may handle them better.

Logitech ultrathin keyboard for typing. Cannot say enough about it's size, usability and battery life.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I got myself a Kindle Paperwhite for reading books. For that purpose, it wipes the floor with all iPads.

More and more of the texts I use at work contain pictures, color illustrations, charts etc.
How does the kindle handle these graphics?

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I got myself a Kindle Paperwhite for reading books. For that purpose, it wipes the floor with all iPads.

There's only so much reading you can do on a black white screen when dealing with chemistry and medical textbooks. Colors help.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
More and more of the texts I use at work contain pictures, color illustrations, charts etc.
How does the kindle handle these graphics?

It shows them fine, but in black and white.

----------

There's only so much reading you can do on a black white screen when dealing with chemistry and medical textbooks. Colors help.

I would agree with this. And comics too. I find the brightness of the LCD screens (retina or not) very tiring on my eyes after a while of reading at night.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
It shows them fine, but in black and white.

----------

I would agree with this. And comics too. I find the brightness of the LCD screens (retina or not) very tiring on my eyes after a while of reading at night.

Tiring, my issue also Mac or tablet. If kindle could covert into multiple shades of gray that could be a solution.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
ipad4 or mini

I did just that, I sold my ipad3 and pre-ordered the mini. After useing it for a week I decided to return it and get the ipad4. I will get the next mini because it was great but it needs a little better screen (for my likes), and when I read that they are already working on a ret. screen for it I decided to return it. A (stand alone) GPS would be a game changer also.

S

syd430

Returning your ipad 3/4 to get an ipad mini is the equivilant of returning your spec'd out 2011 VW Golf to get a 2012 base model Polo and then being super excited about it.

The mini was designed to be a cheaper way to gain ownership of an ipad, watching all the people on these boards flipping out in excitement to sell their ipad 3's to "upgrade" to an ipad mini (VW polo) when they arleady own an iphone 5 (1/3 the weight of the Mini) is hilarious.

So yes, swapping it for an ipad 4 is a good choice.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Returning your ipad 3/4 to get an ipad mini is the equivilant of returning your spec'd out 2011 VW Golf to get a 2012 base model Polo and then being super excited about it.

The mini was designed to be a cheaper way to gain ownership of an ipad, watching all the people on these boards flipping out in excitement to sell their ipad 3's to "upgrade" to an ipad mini (VW polo) when they arleady own an iphone 5 (1/3 the weight of the Mini) is hilarious.

Ummmmmm no.

The screen might be better, but being half as heavy and smaller is not like getting the same car with less options. Your analogy is flawed.

It is like trading a Crown Vic for a Smart fortwo.

S

syd430

Ummmmmm no.

The screen might be better, but being half as heavy and smaller is not like getting the same car with less options. Your analogy is flawed.

It is like trading a Crown Vic for a Smart fortwo.

The critical part of my post was that the said person already owns an iphone 5. In a world where super capable smartphones that weigh 100 grams didn't exist, then yes the Mini would make a lot more sense.

It was designed to be a budget tablet, not an ipad 3 replacement for people that already own bleeding edge smart phones.

Edit: also I didn't say the same car with less options. The VW polo is designed to be a smaller, cheaper Golf. They are not built on the same platform.

Last edited by a moderator:

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I agree with everyone in favor of switching so far.

I bought the Mini with minimal expectations - I received an amazing product.

However, I already owned a 3 - and decided that I'd rather upgrade to the 4 and have the best tech out and rely on ONE tablet rather than worry about juggling two (4 and Mini).

Don't get me wrong, the Mini is fine, like most have said, as a budget, smaller experience. I just decided it wasn't worth it right now as is.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I agree with everyone in favor of switching so far.

I bought the Mini with minimal expectations - I received an amazing product.

However, I already owned a 3 - and decided that I'd rather upgrade to the 4 and have the best tech out and rely on ONE tablet rather than worry about juggling two (4 and Mini).

Don't get me wrong, the Mini is fine, like most have said, as a budget, smaller experience. I just decided it wasn't worth it right now as is.

Would NOT suggest juggling two or more tablets unless you have applecare plus on both.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

to each his own. i have owned the iPhone 3G, 4 and now the 5. i have owned the iPad 1, 2 and 3.

the best thing i have ever done is sell my iPad 3 and get the iPad mini, the device is amazing and almost as transformative to my life as the iPhone itself. i couldn't be happier.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The bottom line is that you need to choose whether you want a smaller tablet that's more portable or a larger tablet with a superior screen (and a better cpu).

For some of us, the smaller size trumps the screen, but for others its the other way around.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010

This is exactly what I did last week, and I'm really glad I did it. I stayed up late and pre-ordered a White Mini (32gb), and received it on launch date.

As far as ergonomics go (weight, size, etc.), Apple nailed it and hit a home run in my opinion. I was coming from an iPad 2, so the thought of not having a Retina display didn't bother me as I hadn't yet been spoiled.

After spending about a week with the mini, I came to the conclusion that although the mini was cheaper ($170) than the full size iPad, the gap in price wasn't significant enough for me to not jump up to the iPad 4 to get the beautiful Retina display, and to also get the power of the A6X processor.

I can tell you that although the iPad 4 does indeed feel snappy, it certainly isn't anything significant over the mini, as it was no slouch. However, I tend to keep my devices for awhile, so I feel much better about spending the extra money and getting Apple's top processor, which in theory should run longer and better than the A5, and certainly be supported longer.

I'm not bashing the mini by any means, it really is a fantastic device that I'm sure millions of people will purchase and love this Christmas season. For me though, the better "value" by far was to spend the extra $170 to get the Retina display and faster (future proof) processor.

If and when Apple decided to put out an iPad mini that is on par with it's full size counterpart, I will probably look at moving back to the mini.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
This is exactly what I did last week, and I'm really glad I did it. I stayed up late and pre-ordered a White Mini (32gb), and received it on launch date.

As far as ergonomics go (weight, size, etc.), Apple nailed it and hit a home run in my opinion. I was coming from an iPad 2, so the thought of not having a Retina display didn't bother me as I hadn't yet been spoiled.

After spending about a week with the mini, I came to the conclusion that although the mini was cheaper ($170) than the full size iPad, the gap in price wasn't significant enough for me to not jump up to the iPad 4 to get the beautiful Retina display, and to also get the power of the A6X processor.

I can tell you that although the iPad 4 does indeed feel snappy, it certainly isn't anything significant over the mini, as it was no slouch. However, I tend to keep my devices for awhile, so I feel much better about spending the extra money and getting Apple's top processor, which in theory should run longer and better than the A5, and certainly be supported longer.

I'm not bashing the mini by any means, it really is a fantastic device that I'm sure millions of people will purchase and love this Christmas season. For me though, the better "value" by far was to spend the extra $170 to get the Retina display and faster (future proof) processor.

If and when Apple decided to put out an iPad mini that is on par with it's full size counterpart, I will probably look at moving back to the mini.

This is true. I'm just doing lots of text reading now and note taking. The bigger screen may be more fun to write and read on.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I have got an ipad original, ipad 3 and 2 minis and now today an ipad 4. I love the mini but my 5 and 2 year old play with these the most. I just missed the retina display to much. I's a great device but I just prefer my bigger ipad.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Thumb typing on the iPad Mini in portrait mode is MUCH easier than with the full sized iPad.

I can fly. It's like using an iPhone in landscape.

I'm fast on landscape on the Mini too. It's so thin that I have greater reach with my thumb.

----------

If it's not for your needs and the iPad 4 is what you're looking for, definitely return it for the 4.

It's great for my needs and I'm coming from an iPad 3. It's great and I loved it but the form factor and size of the Mini fits my needs better (light, cheaper, and for video watching)

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
For what you use it for I'd personally go with the iPad 4, or if you can get your hands on a refurbished iPad 3 on Apple store that would suffice as well.

I already have the iPad 3 and don't have the urge to upgrade to the 4. The iPad mini does have my attention, but I am willing to wait til they incorporate retina technology in second or third generation before I grab one.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I just don't get the appeal of buying the mini for its weight. Do you carry it around in place of an iPhone? What freedom is this opening someone to, over a 10" tablet in usability?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.