Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theactor19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
So I have the lasted Apple TV, and Macbook Air. Whenever I do airplay mirroring with anything, it plays extremely choppy. Its not smooth at all, the video skips a lot, and its pretty much unwatchable. I'm not even watching 1080p, just regular avi's, mp4s, youtube, etc. On my Iphone5, it plays youtube smoothly no problem it seems. Please help as I'm about ready to throw my appletv out the window.

thanks

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Airplay mirroring in OSx is not optimized for video streaming. With a very robust network setup, it may work acceptably, but for the vast majority of users, I'd suggest finding an alternate solution.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U have to manually optimize ur WIFI. This topic is discussed quite often, please look at past threads on the subject.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
what does that even mean?

Apparently there is a way to prioritize Video on your WiFi so that it takes precedence over all other traffic. This way you can ensure you don't get interruptions which would cause the Mirroring to be choppy.

I haven't done this so I don't know how it's done, but I believe that it what the user is referring to.

theactor19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Apparently there is a way to prioritize Video on your WiFi so that it takes precedence over all other traffic. This way you can ensure you don't get interruptions which would cause the Mirroring to be choppy.

I haven't done this so I don't know how it's done, but I believe that it what the user is referring to.

Oh awesome. Can you link me to some instructions on how to do this?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.