Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Talk about hyperbole, do you actually know what the word means?

You "saw it in person"? Was it from 30 feet away and with some cling film wrapped around your head?

You know, you have the right to dislike it, but try and actually be rational and mature about it (and perhaps proof read and consider what you have written in your posts before you hit that "submit reply" button).

Wait, what? I can't read your post on my ipad mini. It's like reading through 2" of Vaseline mixed with pounds of builders sand.

Wait, wait. It's fine. The screen looks great.

Without hyperbole means that the screen literally looks like it has an entire jar of Vaseline and pounds of sand on it. I think you need to research what "hyperbole" means.

No hyperbole, huh? :rolleyes: It's not the best screen out there, but it's far from unusable. I can use hubby's iPad 3 and move to my Mini with no problems at all. Everyone is different, but there's a lot of folks out there that have no problem with the screen. I really hope people do try it themselves and don't just trust other people's opinions. The "low quality" of the screen has been way over-hyped.

Remember the classic Simpsons episode "Kamp Krusty"?

Kent Brockman covering a summer camp mutiny: " Ladies and gentlemen, I've been to Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and I can say without hyperbole that this is a million times worse than all of them put together. "

Lighten up people.

Though the screen's still poop.

Good thing I didn't say I was going to marry a carrot.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
While the analogy is a tad harsh, it's very, VERY difficult to go from a retina display to the mini - for SOME people. I happen to be one of those people. The mini's display is very, very dated, which is a shame.

Apple is clearly using the mini as a test for what's to come. A retina-display mini will be an insta-buy for me, at any "reasonable" price.

I bet many of these people look at the screen literally up close. Normal viewing distance, the screen is pretty good but not as awesome as retina.

Addicted Dana

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Virginia
IPad Mini Ordered

I am so upset with Apple and their shipping process! I ordered the IPad Mini 4G at 6:00 am on Oct. 26th. I received a message last Thursday, Nov. 8th saying the my order was being prepared for shipping within 5 days and then one that said I would receive it within 2 days from ship date. But then it said that I would receive on Niv. 20th. After calling every other day, it seems that the 4g is being shipped all at the same time. It does not matter who ordered first. I am sick of waiting. Is Apple had not put a hold on my money I would look at buying the Kindle Fire Hd or the Nexis. Unfortunately, I like Apple and ITunes!

Dana.

Last edited:
S

syd430

http://m.gizmodo.com/5959770/is-the-ipad-mini-the-beginning-of-apples-decline

Ouch

Almost as if he read my posts here and then copy and pasted it into his piece. He's spot with most of it, especially the part about them being so willing to directly compete with competitors. Just look at how eager Tim was to compare the mini with the Nexus.

S

syd430

Imagine that, an anti-Apple awrsewhole, on a site that isn't happy with Apple, who happens to own a few iPads (and a Kindle Fire which he admits he doesn't pick up anymore) condemns the new iPad mini (his 4th, not that he even admits he has a need for). Just read the comments that totally disagree with his article - he's nothing more than page-hit-controversy.

Further, he challenges other top writers to admit they still love the mini after 1 week. Well, I'm not a top writer, but hey, Dave, I've had mine for over a week and I love it more than the day I bought it, but then again I had a reason to buy it other than mere curiosity at a new device. Shove that up your Winer, Dave.

He's not an authority, he's merely offensive. And he's someone you should ignore.

A lot of people share the sentiments the author has expressed in the article in regards to a shift in business strategy. The stock has tanked. It's a fair criticism.

On the other hand, just look at the crude and personal nature of your attack on the author, without actually addressing anything he said (as usual). Not sure why the mod's here don't delete personal posts like this.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
I believe Apple has discovered something with the iPad mini. There's more to products than their specs.

Today I visited my local Apple Store and saw the iPad mini in person for the first time. Totally convinced me that I want one. Size is perfect. Screen looks great. Camera looks great. I forgot to try to keyboard, but with voice to text and Siri it might not matter.

Before I was relying solely on the "disappointing specs."

It was impressive. Apple will sell millions, no doubt.

Go see one yourself. You won't be disappointed.
I took your advise and picked one up at Best Buy. I used it for a total of 15 minutes before I packed it up and returned it.
I do love the size and the look but in no way could I use this devise for lengthy reading or browsing.
To each his own if you've never owned a Retina you'd probably be perfectly happy. For the rest of us this is a big step backwards.

Last edited:
S

syd430

I took your advise and picked one up at Best Buy. I used it for a total of 15 minutes before I packed it up and returned it. I recommend that anybody who wants one of these, just buy an ipad 2 on eBay which has a better screen and spend half as much.

Why'd you delete the line about the OP owing you gas money for the trip you made to the store? I'm taking back my upvote now :D

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I absolutely concur, OP.

Before seeing the iPad mini in person I'd say my interest was at about 40%, but when I went to go see it at my local Apple shop that changed. My interest skyrocketed and I was set on buying this gadget ASAP. The bigger iPads never appealed to me personally. But this 7.9" tab is a godsend! It was worth every bit of the $429 I payed. I love it and I'm thoroughly satisfied.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I very nearly avoided the Mini because of everyone complaining about the screen, it's not even half as bad as some people are making out!

I was in the same shoes. Everyone complained and I was wary. Went and had a look and had no idea what the fuss was. I think the screen looks really nice for what it is.

I think it's a ploy, make lots of noise so that when customers finally look at it, they think it looks good because they were expecting the worse.

Tokes Green

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Here, there, and everywhere.
I took your advise and picked one up at Best Buy. I used it for a total of 15 minutes before I packed it up and returned it.
I do love the size and the look but in no way could I use this devise for lengthy reading or browsing.
To each his own if you've never owned a Retina you'd probably be perfectly happy. For the rest of us this is a big step backwards.

I've had every Retina device since the iPhone 4, apart from a Retina Macbook, which my brother owns.
It is by no means a big step backwards. Yes you can tell the difference, but the difference is not anywhere even close to how bad some people make it out to be! Sure, I would of loved a Retina screen in the mini - but the size, weight and battery life of the mini is the reason I purchased it, as I'm sure is the same for others.

I read at least 3 hours a day on the mini (books, pdf, this forum) and my eyes have yet to fall out, nor has my brain exploded.

----------

I was in the same shoes. Everyone complained and I was wary. Went and had a look and had no idea what the fuss was. I think the screen looks really nice for what it is.

I think it's a ploy, make lots of noise so that when customers finally look at it, they think it looks good because they were expecting the worse.

That, and some people on this forum just don't have anything better to do than moan.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Saw it in person last week. Size and weight are fantastic.

But that screen. I can say, without any hyperbole whatsoever, reading on that screen is like trying to read through a 2-inch layer of Vaseline mixed with several pounds of builder's sand.

Sorry, spoiled by my iPad 3.

Will wait for retina model next year.

Oh yeah, no hyperbole there. Right.

I find posts like these hilarious. So now any screen that isn't retina is like reading through Vaseline mixed with sand? Given that no apple product had a retina display until 2010, and no product but the iPhone until this year, it's a miracle any text has been read on an apple device in the company's 30+ year history up until now.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Saw it in person last week. Size and weight are fantastic.

But that screen. I can say, without any hyperbole whatsoever, reading on that screen is like trying to read through a 2-inch layer of Vaseline mixed with several pounds of builder's sand.

Sorry, spoiled by my iPad 3.

Will wait for retina model next year.

two things:

1) how do you know what a screen looks like with Vaseline on it (no answer required lol)

2) i agree - i looked at the iPad mini in person and i just can't go back from a Retina screen

in all fairness to Apple, the iPad Mini was clearly targeted not to current owners of the iPad Retina model. rather, it was targeted to people who don't yet own an iPad or someone with a 1st gen Kindle Fire and they're looking to get another tablet but they're not sure yet

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Newsflash: new low end low cost device outperformed by current generation high end device

if you have a retina, you're not the target market.

Its too bad because I think a lot of people prefer the size of the mini to the regular iPad.

ChipperVW

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005

Oooo!! An open box iPad mini already?! Which Best Buy?! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.