Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
That chip is already in the HTC One X and the Optimus G. So no, its nothing new and there is no reason the benchmarks should be thrown off by it.

The HTC One X uses a dual core S4. BTW its 1800 mah battery sucked during first reviews, but later greatly improved with a software update.

The LG Optimus does indeed have the same innards as the Nexus 4, including battery. That suggests battery performance ought to be similar between the two. Here's what The Verge posted on the Optimus G battery:

TheVerge said:
Using the AT&T model for a full day as I normally do brought the 2,100 mAh battery down to around 20 percent after 10 or so hours. That's about on par with what I experience on both the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S III. I have not experimented heavily with the Eco mode, which theoretically could extend the phone's longevity by quite a bit.

Note that they rated the Optimus battery a 8, while the Nexus 4 got a 9 (from different reviewers though). Given the identical hardware, if there is a discrepancy between battery duration, it's likely due to the software -something that can be patched.

Also, those benchmarks from the OP were posted on forums ~a week ago. Must have been a review unit and could not have been the final build.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Nexus 4 has nothing new? Snapdragon Quadcore S4 Pro CPU? True world phone, usable on any gsm network? Android 4.2? Higher pixel density than the iphone 5? Dual-band wifi?

As for performance, it is the first phone to break the 2000 point mark on the Geekbench 2 test. It is also slightly faster than the ip5 in graphics getting nearly 40fps in GLBenchmark.

And the Nexus 4 has sold out in minutes in every country it came out in, including the US. This phone is already a success. I wonder if you called the ip5 a flop with the graphical pixelization issues, the iOS6 app failures, the dent and scratching issues, the audio stream bug that downloads audio streams over and over again, the excessive noise generated when the phones vibration hardware is activated, failure to detect quick scroll inputs, and so on?

I don't own a Nexus 4, nor will i ever, but it isn't like the iphone is the greatest thing since sliced bread. A little perspective shows it to be far from perfect.

----------

Please post links. Every one i have pulled up is not showing this.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review

Review went up 2 days ago.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Something to do with the GPU I assume. The Nexus 4 had to be put in a freezer to marginally increase performance because it was overheating.
Lol, so you dont know what it means but your starting a thread on it anyways? Benchmarks only matter to geeks because they really dot mean much else. Besides, thise same scores that keep getting posted from that site were done before the final version os. I only care how quickly things load and if it is a second behind or ahead of another phone... Who cares as long as it isnt slow and the battery is good. I love my GS3 but dont like the screen in the sunlight. Otherwise it is fast, screen is big and works and looks great in doors and has a good battrry regardless of a benchmark.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review

Review went up 2 days ago.

And as I stated, thermal throttling on a pre-released unit. He posted the update yesterday, but the phone and testing was done pre-release. The results are still off because the testing is heavily javascript based. This pretty much sums everything up, direct from your link:

I've re-run everything and can confirm obviously that there was thermal throttling going on affecting some of the results, and have included the new results wherever there was a deviation from previous. For those wondering why the LG Optimus G wasn't affected in spite of it having the same platform, the reason is because the results from the Optimus G were run in parts due to some instability affecting its ability to run a complete set of tests without crashing. The Nexus 4 has newer drivers that don't crash during a full GLBenchmark 2.5 run but as a result run the device long enough for thermal throttling to kick in.
The last sentence being key.

And finally,
Our CPU performance side is unfortunately still dominated by JavaScript performance tests. The story there is that the Nexus 4 ships with Chrome (and originally shipped with a newer build of Chrome than what was on the market - we were running that updated version all along) and thus the mainline version of the V8 JavaScript engine. OEMs perform their own optimizations to the V8 library, and try to upstream whatever they can into the main project, but in the case of Chrome for Android that means V8 sans secret OEM sauce.

Benchmarks are great, for tech geeks, but the consumer word of mouth is what makes or breaks a phone. Ever wonder why the iphone 4S had declining sales figures the 9 months before the release of the iphone 5 or why we have seen Apple stock tank $200 a share since the iphone 5's release or why the Nexus 7, S3 and Note II (and now it seems the Nexus 4) have been selling like crazy? Word of mouth is powerful.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have no doubt that a 5 is faster then an N4. But who cares at this point? Things that use true processing power like emulators are a JB option on iOS. Gran Turismo is a little laggy on my Xoom but its too much work for my iPad to even bother with to compare, which is impossible on iOS 6 anyway.

I don't need more power with my iPhone I need a more powerful OS to utilize that superior power!!

I'm on a 4S and its disappointing nothing can slow it down. I may have a reason to upgrade if there was.

So YAY an idevice that can't utilize its potential is faster in a benchmark!!

Btw here's a benchmark for you to show how useful they are.

Linpack on my 4S
6ydupygy.jpg

Linpack after an APP update on my 4S
2a2y2ese.jpg

Same phone same test but different versions of the app....

EDIT: Been forever since I ran it so here's linpak in 6.0.1

aga7y3am.jpg

Last edited:

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Ever wonder why the iphone 4S had declining sales figures the 9 months before the release of the iphone 5 or why we have seen Apple stock tank $200 a share since the iphone 5's release or why the Nexus 7, S3 and Note II (and now it seems the Nexus 4) have been selling like crazy? Word of mouth is powerful.

The 4S Stopped selling 3 months, not 9 months. It actually increased in sales.

As a semi-professional investor, AAPL's drop has next to nothing to do with the iPhone. It's the hedge fund managers taking their profits, and running back to a safer stock - like CVS or Walmart - if we go off the "fiscal cliff" come January, the tech sector will DIE.
The n7 has sold less than the iPad Mini, and it's been on sale since the summer, the S3 is being outsold by the iPhone FAMILY 2 to 1 (yes, yes, it sold more than the 4S -.-) And the N4 sold about 600K units. Superb. :cool:iPhone 5 sold that in 30 seconds (I kid you not) at 3AM. That's all google was willing to make available, because they make less than 4 dollars in profit for each unit, not taking into account returns, warranty, shipping, etc.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I have no doubt that a 5 is faster then an N4. But who cares at this point?

I remember when all that mattered was this:
gb.png

Cheers of:
Nothing infuriates me more than Fandroids looking at spec sheets to determine what is better. OBVIOUSLY Android phones need more under the hood to compete with an iPhone with lower raw specs. That is clear.

Wow.

Two cores running @1.02 GHz each outperforming S3. Engineering people, engineering.

This is all less about specs and more about engineering.

Then we had this turn up and the chest thumping was premature:
samsung-galaxy-s3-geekbench-benchmarks.jpg

Now we have this:
gbn4.png

I'm guessing Geekbench doesn't matter now? :p

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

As a semi-professional investor, AAPL's drop has next to nothing to do with the iPhone. It's the hedge fund managers taking their profits, and running back to a safer stock - like CVS or Walmart - if we go off the "fiscal cliff" come January, the tech sector will DIE.
The n7 has sold less than the iPad Mini, and it's been on sale since the summer, the S3 is being outsold by the iPhone FAMILY 2 to 1 (yes, yes, it sold more than the 4S -.-) And the N4 sold about 600K units. Superb. :cool:iPhone 5 sold that in 30 seconds (I kid you not) at 3AM. That's all google was willing to make available, because they make less than 4 dollars in profit for each unit, not taking into account returns, warranty, shipping, etc.

You really think Google makes less then 4 dollars per unit by putting an Android device in the hands of a consumer? Day trading is fun but stick to your day job. :)

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

Sources for the N4 sales?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Really? I'm curious. Why?

This "Fiscal Cliff" is whats going to happen once the 2 party system freezes our budgets again. If they don't have a budget by Jan 1, taxes will go up over 20% for everyone (Upper, middle and lower), 450 BILLION dollars will be cut from the spending budget, with about 3 MILLION government jobs cut or reduced - it's going to be a mess.

And no one cares. We had to have Obama... and now we have this mess.

Obama is REFUSING to sign any budget that doesn't give more money to unions taken from hardworking Middle and Upper class entrepreneurs in the form of higher payroll taxes. Not the "1%" tax - payroll taxes. So let's see - want to have more jobs in america, makes it 20% more expensive to hire someone. ****ing BRILLIANT!!

PS - I voted and supported Obama - and I feel duped.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
This "Fiscal Cliff" is whats going to happen once the 2 party system freezes our budgets again. If they don't have a budget by Jan 1, taxes will go up over 20% for everyone (Upper, middle and lower), 450 BILLION dollars will be cut from the spending budget, with about 3 MILLION government jobs cut or reduced - it's going to be a mess.

And no one cares. We had to have Obama... and now we have this mess.

Obama is REFUSING to sign any budget that doesn't give more money to unions taken from hardworking Middle and Upper class entrepreneurs in the form of higher payroll taxes. Not the "1%" tax - payroll taxes. So let's see - want to have more jobs in america, makes it 20% more expensive to hire someone. ****ing BRILLIANT!!

PS - I voted and supported Obama - and I feel duped.

You think this is the first time this govt has passed a budget on time? I have worked in govt through the last 5 Presidents. Every single time I have heard the sky is falling, we won't get paid, it is all the democrats / republicans stalling, taxes are gonna skyrocket, yada yada.

Every time, a miracle happens and a budget has passed. You know why? No senator or sitting President wants to explain why our military forces haven't been paid, especially when we have troops in combat. It will mean the end of their career. So, we see a lot of posturing and chest thumping, the occasional budget extension, but in the end everything is passed.

I have been in this game for too long.

And you might want to look at iphone sales over the last 3 quarters. What you stated is completely wrong.

----------

Sorry, wanted to quote this for posterity.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
If Apple makes a better device, then more power to them. At this point, I don't think you can say that. The Android phones seem to have more features, and the size and quality of the displays can't be ignored.

I applaud Apple for helping to push the envelope along. I definitely prefer android, but I can appreciate Cupertino's efforts

Vitrum

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
If Apple makes a better device, then more power to them. At this point, I don't think you can say that. The Android phones seem to have more features, and the size and quality of the displays can't be ignored.

I applaud Apple for helping to push the envelope along. I definitely prefer android, but I can appreciate Cupertino's efforts

I agree, big thanks to apple to make the push but now they can go back to thr trailer park :cool:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Was actually thinking about jumping ship from the iPhone 5 to get this, but anandtech's in-depth review shows that iPhone is still king.

Oh, is this part of those set of reviews that people have already been talking about for weeks in which the review units were not the final hardware OR software? Where it has already been shown that these benchmarks are way under what they should be and that the shipped units drastically out perform the phone on which these tests were based?

This has been covered in depth pretty much all over the tech sites for the last week and this sub forum.
:rolleyes:

----------

New data for production units are showing results like this everywhere:

Yay! Someone who knows what they are talking about!!!
:D

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
They were! But what makes you think iOS fanboys are going to let facts and reality get in the way of their argument?
:D

Wait, what?

The initial benchmarks for the GPU seem to have stood but improved when put in a freezer. Not exactly earth shattering improvements, regardless. The other browser benchmarks didn't change as far as I know. I don't think any reviewers ran Geekbench so we can't compare.

Also, where are you getting the idea that the hardware wasn't final? I only saw this "fact" pop up here today when the benchmarks weren't great. Did anybody confirm this as it doesn't really make sense when the phone was released shortly after the reviews.

EDIT: Just want to point out that benchmarks aren't all that important. Experience is more important. It sounds like the Nexus 4 user experience is very nice. :)

Last edited:

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
You think this is the first time this govt has passed a budget on time? I have worked in govt through the last 5 Presidents. Every single time I have heard the sky is falling, we won't get paid, it is all the democrats / republicans stalling, taxes are gonna skyrocket, yada yada.
That right there is what's wrong with our government - last minute patches because insiders like you guys (no offense) keep stalling, knowing that the other side will cave at the alst second.
Every time, a miracle happens and a budget has passed. You know why? No senator or sitting President wants to explain why our military forces haven't been paid, especially when we have troops in combat. It will mean the end of their career. So, we see a lot of posturing and chest thumping, the occasional budget extension, but in the end everything is passed.

I have been in this game for too long.
I don't know what you could do then... leave? I hear you guys have good pensions.
And you might want to look at iphone sales over the last 3 quarters. What you stated is completely wrong.
I'll just leave this here, buddy.
chart-apple-earnings.top.gif

:)

----------

You really think Google makes less then 4 dollars per unit by putting an Android device in the hands of a consumer? Day trading is fun but stick to your day job. :)

On device sales - 4 dollars is optimistic. They make money from knowing where you are at every second of every day, reading your email, reading your texts, etc to target you better for ads.

It's not a bad thing, of course, as the phone costs only 300... Sell your soul much? lol

----------

I remember when all that mattered was this:

Cheers of:

Then we had this turn up and the chest thumping was premature:

Now we have this:

I'm guessing Geekbench doesn't matter now? :p

Check Geekbench's update history. Has only been updated for taller screens, not the new A6 Chip. The n4 isn't A15 AFAIK - so any updates would just be chip drivers. The a6 is really an A15-hybrid of sorts - it's an A9 with more instructions specifically set up for iOS (so in fact better than A15 for most purposes), built on a smaller process -

If GB ever updates for the A6 support - it's over buddy. Also, the N4 cheats, horribly. It overclocks itself for burst periods to look good in benchmarks. If you look at the longer benchmarks like sunspider10x (10x the length of sunspider) it gets KILLED.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
:)

----------

On device sales - 4 dollars is optimistic. They make money from knowing where you are at every second of every day, reading your email, reading your texts, etc to target you better for ads.

It's not a bad thing, of course, as the phone costs only 300... Sell your soul much? lol

----------

Check Geekbench's update history. Has only been updated for taller screens, not the new A6 Chip. The n4 isn't A15 AFAIK - so any updates would just be chip drivers. The a6 is really an A15-hybrid of sorts - it's an A9 with more instructions specifically set up for iOS (so in fact better than A15 for most purposes), built on a smaller process -

If GB ever updates for the A6 support - it's over buddy. Also, the N4 cheats, horribly. It overclocks itself for burst periods to look good in benchmarks. If you look at the longer benchmarks like sunspider10x (10x the length of sunspider) it gets KILLED.

As a self proclaimed "day trader" you don't seem to understand the definition of a "Quarter", when Q1 begins or how many "3 quarters" are? Why would you put a chart up that only goes to Q1 2012, when I specifically said the iphone has been sinking the past 3? Would it be because it refutes your belief that the iphone is the only phone people want or should be allowed to buy? As if variety and choice is a bad thing? Here is the chart showing Q1 through Q4 of 2012. Interestingly enough, sales of Samsung smartphones have been double what Apple has sold over the last 2 quarters. Additionally, the S3 had been out just a quarter and a half and had more sales than all iphones combined in Q4. Add to that a stock dump of nearly $200 a share in just a couple of weeks and analysts are scrambling making bold predictions of 50million+ sales of iphones this quarter. And when Apple only sells 30 million and misses those predictions, watch another huge stock nose dive. Analysts screw Apple all the time. I guess they are able to short the stock at the perfect times and making a killing through manipulation. Doesn't seem fair or legal.
Anyway, the full chart. See how big of a dive Apple had in Q2-Q4?
26-10-2012-09-43-55.jpg

vcoleiro1

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
I doubt those initial Anandtech benchmarks were even close to correct. The benchmarks I have seen on other devices with the same Snapdragon S4 Pro SOC are way better.

It's not the first time Ive seen that site give great marks to an iPhone and poor marks for an Android device only latter to see completley different benchmarks for the same device on other tech sites. It makes me very suspicious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.