Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silentbob007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Little Rock, AR
Last week I made two decently big changes to my new mini ... I installed a BootCamp partition and installed new RAM. Now, in the past week, I've had two kernel panics. Is it more likely this is from the RAM or the partition?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Post the kernel panic report you get to see upon restart.

About "You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) messages
Resolving Kernel Panics
Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic
106227_3.jpg

The cause is more likely to be the RAM. Maybe tell us what exact RAM you have.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
It is not your partition. It should be your new ram.

Test it with memtest86+ for atleast 10 passes. (10 hours)
If your ram is really bad it should give a error in the first passes.

That way you know for sure if your ram is defect. Use the bootcd version of memtest86+.

Last edited:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
it is ram - 100 percent - try original ram, or only new one - had similar with imac - old ram did not work with new - so i bought for new modules and problem was solved .. if you dont trust us, try apple hw test and run extensive one - it will give you error code

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
You can also try running memtest+. Errors will eventually show up. Then return those modules as they're clearly faulty!

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
You can also try running memtest+. Errors will eventually show up. Then return those modules as they're clearly faulty!

that does not need to be truth - I had imac original 4GB module, added another from iceberg and problem occured... tryed another iceberg, no change, then swapped apple original for another iceberg and since then, 18 months without any problem... my conclusion, some modules work together, some not

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
that does not need to be truth - I had imac original 4GB module, added another from iceberg and problem occured... tryed another iceberg, no change, then swapped apple original for another iceberg and since then, 18 months without any problem... my conclusion, some modules work together, some not

My point still makes sense. Those modules are faulty!

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
My point still makes sense. Those modules are faulty!

Nope, they may be OK - only does not work with apple ones... in my case, those from apple (original in imac) were problematic, when switched for iceberg, everything went ok...

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Nope, they may be OK - only does not work with apple ones... in my case, those from apple (original in imac) were problematic, when switched for iceberg, everything went ok...

You should've gone to Apple and have them replace them then.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Whenever you install new ram, the first thing you should do is test it. Single user utilities are preferable, as they tend to test a greater portion of ram. Whatever the test, run it at least 5 cycles. If any errors arise, RMA the memory. Test replacement ram too. RAM is extremely cheap these days, so I get the feeling that quality control may have slipped somewhat.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Whenever you install new ram, the first thing you should do is test it. Single user utilities are preferable, as they tend to test a greater portion of ram. Whatever the test, run it at least 5 cycles. If any errors arise, RMA the memory. Test replacement ram too. RAM is extremely cheap these days, so I get the feeling that quality control may have slipped somewhat.

Well, it is better to do atleast 10 cycles.

I have read that people had weird problems and and the errors showed up in the 9th cycle. After replacing the ram, no more weird problems and ram tested good.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Well, it is better to do atleast 10 cycles.

I have read that people had weird problems and and the errors showed up in the 9th cycle. After replacing the ram, no more weird problems and ram tested good.

We can argue over how many. There's no real magic number to it. You're slightly more likely to turn up an error if you run it 100 cycles. In most cases errors capable of causing kernel panics turn up early enough. I just suggest setting it for a number of cycles and letting it run overnight.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
We can argue over how many. There's no real magic number to it. You're slightly more likely to turn up an error if you run it 100 cycles. In most cases errors capable of causing kernel panics turn up early enough. I just suggest setting it for a number of cycles and letting it run overnight.

Just search the internet. Memtest86+ stays a synthetic test...

More than 15 has no use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.