Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I can only imagine the buying frenzy if the mini was retina! Bottom line is if you go out and try out the ipad mini, it will really change your mind. I can see why it is sold out and let me say that I am 100% content with the ipad mini. The siri is great, the cameras are fantastic, and best of all I can carry it everywhere and use it with ease. The ipad 3/4 is just great but it's not as ideal as an ipad mini when you need to use it everywhere and because of the weight, you can hold it further away from your eyes and that will convince you the display is good enough!

I agree that once the iPad mini gets a Retina Display it will a truly spectacular device. My first iPad was the 3rd generation, and my first iPhone was the 4S so I'm definitely spoiled by the Retina Display. I notice the blurriness on the current mini, but the size and weight are definite plusses.

I think for now I'll keep my 3rd gen and the mini, but when the mini gets Retina, I'll probably unload both and replace it with that version of the mini. I just can't get over how light and easy to hold it is.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
That is exactly what happened to me. It was ok the first couple days but I started getting headaches from what I think was eyes train. Of course once I posted about it I immediately became a liar, whiner, troll, etc. :rolleyes:

I feel you... the weight is a huge advantage, and in all fairness iPad 3 feels extra heavy.

I was okay for a while on the mini, but the going back and forth between the mini (majority of the time), and occasional iPad 3 (for a few games that are stuck with the iPad 3), made the matter worse. I think my eyes were trying to adjust between resolutions and got tired really fast.

Having iPhone 5 and Retina MacBook Pro aren't helping either :)

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Owned the mini, took it back for a 4. In my opinion, the mini is junk and, considering it's $329 tag, one of the biggest ripoffs I've seen on the market. It's an inferior device to competitive tablets that sell for $100+ less. I just don't get it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Owned the mini, took it back for a 4. In my opinion, the mini is junk and, considering it's $329 tag, one of the biggest ripoffs I've seen on the market. It's an inferior device to competitive tablets that sell for $100+ less. I just don't get it.

It's junk? :rolleyes:

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
It's junk? :rolleyes:

The iPad mini form factor is very attractive and desirable for me, but the internals does not represent good value for the money Apple is asking. The mini is charging the highest base price the market is willing to accept, while offering the least amount of technology the market is willing to make due with. A strategy to secure their premium status in the market and help pay for R&D?

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
At the rate they are selling I hope you anticipate the depreciation and stick with the lowest loss version - base model.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012

You are pretty ironic. You complain it's an inferior device to competitive tablets selling for $100+ less and yet you took the mini back for an iPad 4?? So what's so competitive about the ipad 4 vs the competitors for $600+ less???

All iOS devices run iOS 6.0 - If one is inferior, then all of them are as well.

----------

thanks, I'll happily use my mini for the next 6 months, then sell it to upgrade to the mini retina when it comes out :)

That is EXACTLY what I plan to do. I am not spending for the 64GB LTE iPad 4 when the new one is right around the corner. I got raped on the ipad 3 64GB LTE not again apple. It's basically iphone 4 -> iphone 4S. I'm not going to do that.

I'm willing to go mini because it does replace my ipad 2 I sold and I am 100% satisified with the entire package - including the screen!

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Good story! The photos you posted also make the iPad mini look really awesome. Perfect angle and lighting, I guess.

I've been sold on the mini since day one. Perfect size for my uses.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Does it seem to anyone else that in any "I love my mini" threads, the 2nd post is always, "I disagree" or "You're an idiot"? Is it just me, or have others noticed this too?

Since when did it become so acceptable and fashionable to disagree (even attack), especially in the face of such unbridled joy, happiness and enthusiasm?

I love that people love their mini. And if this were an Android forum and you'd just posted that you love your new N7, I'd be thrilled with that too (despite the fact I would never buy one for myself and wouldn't necessarily agree with the *criteria*, but the *decision* I would never disagree with, and I would never rain on anyone's parade, I'd be happy for you). I just don't get it.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Does it seem to anyone else that in any "I love my mini" threads, the 2nd post is always, "I disagree" or "You're an idiot"? Is it just me, or have others noticed this too?

Since when did it become so acceptable and fashionable to disagree (even attack), especially in the face of such unbridled joy, happiness and enthusiasm?

I love that people love their mini. And if this were an Android forum and you'd just posted that you love your new N7, I'd be thrilled with that too (despite the fact I would never buy one for myself and wouldn't necessarily agree with the *criteria*, but the *decision* I would never disagree with, and I would never rain on anyone's parade, I'd be happy for you). I just don't get it.

You know, it's all about upbringing. From the moment I was born, my parents both chose to raise me to be positive about everything. They told me the world would be a better place if one person was nice to the next. I held this philosophy living my life this way. Now I get to enjoy my gadgets and I know there is alot of hate in this world, especially when it comes to techno gadgets. Some people get their panties all bunched up because of what they own is outdated or replaced by something they don't think is superior to what they paid for.

All I want to do is share my love for these gadgets and how great they are. But I also can understand how some people feel because imagine paying $900+ tax included for an ipad 3 64GB LTE and 6 months later, an iPad 4 comes out that is 2x the performance! I am one of those fools but I'm not going to pounce on people who own an iPad 4!

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
That is EXACTLY what I plan to do. I am not spending for the 64GB LTE iPad 4 when the new one is right around the corner. I got raped on the ipad 3 64GB LTE not again apple. It's basically iphone 4 -> iphone 4S. I'm not going to do that.
good point. I imagine the demand for a used 64gb/LTE would be much less than than that for a 16/wifi, since people resorting to CL n such are looking for bargains.

64gb/LTE vs 16gb/wifi is a difference of $329+tax, of the same device generation. in other words: you could choose between a single 64gb/LTE ipad 4, or both 16gb/wifi ipad 4 + ipad mini for the same price! that's just wow!

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
good point. I imagine the demand for a used 64gb/LTE would be much less than than that for a 16/wifi, since people resorting to CL n such are looking for bargains.

64gb/LTE vs 16gb/wifi is a difference of $329+tax, of the same device generation. in other words: you could choose between a single 64gb/LTE ipad 4, or both 16gb/wifi ipad 4 + ipad mini for the same price! that's just wow!

The ipad 4 is a great device - but due to the release of this new mini, the attractiveness of it has gone down the toilet for me. Size, weight, and heat issues is the biggest gripe. For some odd reason, the layout of the iPad looks much more fitting on the ipad mini than it does on the big ipad. It looks too spaced out for some reason on the 9.7" screen.

I'm very sure the next gen (real next generation) iPad 5 will be enhanced both in weight and size/gripping areas. That was the main reason I did not buy the ipad 4. It's too much like iPhone 4->iphone 4S. I skipped out on the 4S and got my i5 and man, I'm so happy I held out!

And you are right, the pricing was the biggest gripe - I wanted LTE but not again was I going to buy the top line model (because I personally require 64GBof storage and LTE). Now I have just a WIFI and it's clear I was just buying the LTE for nothing; well not for nothing exactly except I thought I needed the GPS. Funny how even with the GPS, I ended up using another smaller device because the ipad 3 was just too heavy to mount anywhere in my car!

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
My wife returned our 4 for screen issues and bought a 32GB mini instead for her Xmas pressie, however till then she's allowing me to use it.

So far, after a bit of on and off use I have to say its a great device. It's cool (to touch), so light, pleasant to hold and so portable. Yes the screen isn't retina but its pretty good (slightly less contrast would be nice,or a warmer toned screen) and sites like these forums are perfectly fine in landscape and double tapping the text to zoom in on the comments.

I love retina screens, my eyes aren't bad at all (I do wear glasses for distance) and really the screen is generally fine. Honestly I can see a place for both a big iPad and a mini (well x2 on the mini as the missus will get this one back) in our house.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
I saw 2 people with iPad mini on the train today with the ugliest thick folio leather cases. Defeated the entire purpose of getting an iPad mini might as well gotten a 4. If you can show me a slim light case I'll get one. If the mini was able to type out notes for class, open huge PDFs I would get one if it could run high end games like asphalt 7 or real racing I would get one. If the resolution wasn't as low as the '09 devices I would get one . Til then ..

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I saw 2 people with iPad mini on the train today with the ugliest thick folio leather cases. Defeated the entire purpose of getting an iPad mini might as well gotten a 4. If you can show me a slim light case I'll get one. If the mini was able to type out notes for class, open huge PDFs I would get one if it could run high end games like asphalt 7 or real racing I would get one. If the resolution wasn't as low as the '09 devices I would get one . Til then ..

You are the perfect netbook user! Too bad for you those are extinct....

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
The form factor, size, and weight is just perfect on the Mini. The display, however, is not up to par for what I'm expected to pay compared to the rest of the market. I don't feel the iPad 3 is heavy at all, and the retina display makes reading text on it a pleasure.

For readability on the Mini using it in landscape mode does make it better I find. If I didn't have any iPad at the moment and I had to pick one I'd pick the iPad 3/4 for it's display and pick the Mini for it's size and weight, whichever is a more heavily weighted priority. If both have came out at the same time I'd still would have picked the iPad 3.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
goddam, I'm the fickle one now.

You guys gonna rip me one. I walked back in and returned the mini!!!! :( :(

Sat up with the wife and talked about how great the ipad mini is - having given away the ipad 3 and selling my ipad 2 to buy the mini, now i am back with guess what?

The iPad 4! I'll be back to update the news about why....gotta restore right now!!

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
goddam, I'm the fickle one now.

You guys gonna rip me one. I walked back in and returned the mini!!!! :( :(

Sat up with the wife and talked about how great the ipad mini is - having given away the ipad 3 and selling my ipad 2 to buy the mini, now i am back with guess what?

The iPad 4! I'll be back to update the news about why....gotta restore right now!!

You gotta be kidding.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.