Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rowbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
HailToTheChief.jpg

Another masterpeice. Its one of those rare pictures where you have a feeling of being there, looking through an open window. ( Its suddenly very chilly in my house :) )

You PP prowess are second to none, same for your picture taking technique.

Good job again.

And congratulations on being "featured thread" on Fred Miranda

http://www.fredmiranda.com

----------

Good timing on capturing his expression. Also, I like your B&W treatment. It has good tonalities.

Last edited:

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
[/COLOR]This was shot almost by accident... I was focusing on the tufas on the water when my wife called my attention to look behind and to my left to see the setting sun. I quickly set up my tripod and fired one single frame. Even with some technical issues on this photograph, it is one of my favorites from all of the Mono Lake images I made that day...

[url=http://pcdn.500px.net/18202499/ce581303b0acac47c7abb1df1453bab2c0495db0/4.jpg]Image[/url]

This is my part of the world, and one of the more popular photo destinations here in the Sierra. As such, I've seen many, many Mono Lake photos and this one stands out because you chose to accentuate the colors, rather than go for the standard "tufa grey" look. Well done.

I think that your post-processing might be hurting the photo somewhat - too much loss and banding in the clouds.

snyder7

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
This is my part of the world, and one of the more popular photo destinations here in the Sierra. As such, I've seen many, many Mono Lake photos and this one stands out because you chose to accentuate the colors, rather than go for the standard "tufa grey" look. Well done.

I think that your post-processing might be hurting the photo somewhat - too much loss and banding in the clouds.

Hey thanks for your comments. The pp may be hurting but my other alternative was a blown out area even larger that what it already is. If/when I can I'll revisit the location and this time be prepared... :D

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Most of us film guys would have died to have that multi-thousand dollar Carl Ziess lens in it's day. The 500c could be a pain to focus so I fully understand your difficulty. The later models had a brighter screen in them but, I believe, the 500c's screen could also be exchanged. I might be wrong.
Good job!
P.S. I see she's carrying the case for it. Do you always make your models schlep your gear?;-)

It's lucky I suppose, can't afford a DSLR at the moment but have access to the cream of the crop from 40 years ago!

I think I am tempted to invest in a split screen to aid my focusing but that will have to be on the wish list at the moment due to the price!

The girl in that particular photo is my girlfriend and she really likes the bag so enjoys carrying it around as a fashion statement!

Talking of the 350mm here is another:

As always, comments are appreciated!

Alex & Flo by acearchie, on Flickr

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Another great photo.

I really have to start learning how to shoot at night. There's something particularly magical for me in these night scenes.

Thank you Puckman1. I like the night shots as well and find that working with a predominance of deep shadows can be a rewarding challenge.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
There's been some really high calibre stuff being posted lately. Prepare for a drop in standard! A flower from the zoo the other week, it had the sun hitting just the top of it and caught my eye as soon as I entered!

IMG_5344.jpg

ISO 200, 1/2000, f/4.5, Canon 1100D, 55-250mm f/4-5.6

Last edited:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
The girl in that particular photo is my girlfriend and she really likes the bag so enjoys carrying it around as a fashion statement!

Hmmm...I think you're on to something good acearchie. If I put a designer label on my gear bag do you think my wife would schlep it around for me? Of course I'd have to get different colour bags to suit the occasion and match her outfit. :D

The Distillery District
by Cheese&Apple on Flickr
f/8 at 30mm, 6 sec. and ISO 200

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
It's lucky I suppose, can't afford a DSLR at the moment but have access to the cream of the crop from 40 years ago!

I think I am tempted to invest in a split screen to aid my focusing but that will have to be on the wish list at the moment due to the price!

Talking of the 350mm here is another:

As always, comments are appreciated!

[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8060/8190705881_931fd60d90_c.jpg]Image[/url]
Alex & Flo by acearchie, on Flickr
Out of curiousity, I checked some prices (used) for that lens that you have. All that I can say is: Handle it gently!:eek: It seems to have risen a great deal in value from what I remember! The two prices I saw were $8000 and $10,000. Maybe the case is a bit more than just a fashion statement??;)
Cute picture. Keep up the good work

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Hmmm...I think you're on to something good acearchie. If I put a designer label on my gear bag do you think my wife would schlep it around for me? Of course I'd have to get different colour bags to suit the occasion and match her outfit. :D

You could try it, what's the worst that could happen!

Out of curiousity, I checked some prices (used) for that lens that you have. All that I can say is: Handle it gently!:eek: It seems to have risen a great deal in value from what I remember! The two prices I saw were $8000 and $10,000. Maybe the case is a bit more than just a fashion statement??;)
Cute picture. Keep up the good work

Almost fell off my chair backwards. I think you might be looking at one of the newer versions of the lens as the one I have seems to have a going rate of about £700-£800
depending on condition. Whilst still pricey not quite the small fortune you might have thought!

Gone digital with my post today allowing for something a little more candid as I can be a bit more snap happy!

As always, comments are appreciated.

Georgia by acearchie, on Flickr

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Another attempt at shooting the lake. Critique very welcome. I'm still trying to learn my way around this stuff.

LakeMissionViejo-1-2.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Mt. Adams as seen from Takhlakh Lake in Gifford Pinchot National Forest

EXIF Summary: Canon 7D 1/400s f/11.0 ISO200 Tamron 28-75 f/2.8@28mm

One of a bunch of vacation photos I need to catch up on.

Dale

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Another attempt at shooting the lake. Critique very welcome. I'm still trying to learn my way around this stuff.

LakeMissionViejo-1-2.jpg

I prefer it to the other, similar view you posted. The closest houses are nicely lit. When the background is in shadow (or not lit so strongly) this naturally throws the foreground forwards, and creates different planes... which give give a pic (the illusion of) depth. I also prefer a part-cloudy sky to all blue, 'cos then the light is more directional; sunlight from an unclouded sky can give an 'over-lit' look... like a bare bulb in a room. And the patches of light and shadow will enable you to 'light up' a particular feature of the landscape... if you have the patience... ;)

Oh, and clone out the foliage on the right, or crop it...

Last edited:

yogeewan

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Fireworks Again

This one did a tree as well :) caught a rocket all the way till it exploded!

Attachments

• _DSC6181.jpg
    _DSC6181.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 102
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.