Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevegm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I have read that the supply of AT&T iPad Minis may be a little constrained. That leaves me with a dilemma. If all that is available tomorrow is Verizon, do I go ahead and buy it? Or wait until I can get an AT&T unit?

I have AT&T phone service. But, I have an unlimited data plan on the iPhone 5, so I do not use a shared data plan. Rather, I will just be paying for a data plan for the iPad Mini separately. I will use it for various uses, including Talkatone (for Google Voice - as a primary phone). I live in a major city so coverage is unlikely to be a major issue.

Anyone else have experience with choosing between AT&T and Verizon in this context? Opinions?

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I have read that the supply of AT&T iPad Minis may be a little constrained. That leaves me with a dilemma. If all that is available tomorrow is Verizon, do I go ahead and buy it? Or wait until I can get an AT&T unit?

I have AT&T phone service. But, I have an unlimited data plan on the iPhone 5, so I do not use a shared data plan. Rather, I will just be paying for a data plan for the iPad Mini separately. I will use it for various uses, including Talkatone (for Google Voice - as a primary phone). I live in a major city so coverage is unlikely to be a major issue.

Anyone else have experience with choosing between AT&T and Verizon in this context? Opinions?

Yeah, same boat. Although made worse for me because I also have an unlimited data plan from my original AT&T iPad.

I ended up going with Verizon, almost pains me to say it. I've never been a Verizon fan and have been with AT&T for a long, long time. But the one thing that really ticked me off what that Verizon offers tethering with their iPad data plan and AT&T doesn't (unless you go to their $50/month plan) which is ridiculous. I don't need to tether much, but when I do I really do. So going with Verizon and getting their $20/month 1GB which includes tethering is a pretty good deal for me. I also learned that I can use my AT&T Sim card in the Verizon iPad and still get 3G service.

So as much as I would normally just get AT&T iPad again, after some detailed review, it looks like Verizon is a better overall solution for me.

stevegm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010

Yeah, same boat. Although made worse for me because I also have an unlimited data plan from my original AT&T iPad.

I ended up going with Verizon, almost pains me to say it. I've never been a Verizon fan and have been with AT&T for a long, long time. But the one thing that really ticked me off what that Verizon offers tethering with their iPad data plan and AT&T doesn't (unless you go to their $50/month plan) which is ridiculous. I don't need to tether much, but when I do I really do. So going with Verizon and getting their $20/month 1GB which includes tethering is a pretty good deal for me. I also learned that I can use my AT&T Sim card in the Verizon iPad and still get 3G service.

So as much as I would normally just get AT&T iPad again, after some detailed review, it looks like Verizon is a better overall solution for me.

Thanks. It sounds like we are in a similar situation. I know that with the iPhone a large downside to Verizon (for me anyway) is that you can't talk and use data at the same time. Are there any limitations from a usability standpoint to the stand alone data plans at Verizon vs. AT&T?

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
I've been told to go with verizon because you can also use ATT sim card in it

Yep. Plus global LTE frequencies + facetime over LTE + free hotspot.

Verizon's CS is consistently ranked #1, while AT&T is ranked dead last. After wasting 4 days and having to speak with 7 people, to try to get an iphone 5 activated, I now understand why. AT&T is great until you have an issue. Then it's like dealing with a cable company.

Last edited:

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
The fact that they pretend their HSPA+ is 4G , while it's slow compared to Tmobile's HSPA, is so typical of AT&T.

They're right up there with cable companies.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Verizon. they will have rolled out their entire LTE network by June 2013. that's only 7 months away.
when i say total network, i mean everywhere they had 3G coverage it will be LTE. impressive

AT&T just only switched on LTE in Philadelphia in September. they aren't even beyond a 30mins drive outside of the city yet

macleod644

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
So let me get this straight - you can use an AT&T SIM card in a Verizon iPad , AND u get LTE? How is that? I would think you only get 3G, I'm pretty sure u only get 3G. But can u still do FaceTime over Cellular if its not LTE Cellular?

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Yup, Verizon baby...

Yup, same story for me. I got the 32 Gig iPad mini on Verizon. I tried out the tethering with my daughter's ipod and it worked fine.

Also, when I go to certain areas my AT&T iPhone doesn't work. So now I'll have Verizon to get reception in more areas.

Preds

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010

Ditto.

I have AT&T unlimited on my iPhone, so no hotspot. When I learned AT&T's iPad data plan didn't include the hotspot free that was a deal breaker, even though AT&T gave 1gb more for data for $30.

As another poster stated, I also like that between the 2 devices and different networks I have a decent chance of having decent speed for data, not to mention WIFI access from hotspots for both networks.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
So let me get this straight - you can use an AT&T SIM card in a Verizon iPad , AND u get LTE? How is that? I would think you only get 3G, I'm pretty sure u only get 3G. But can u still do FaceTime over Cellular if its not LTE Cellular?

An AT&T sim will not be able to get LTE on the Verizon model. However, the full HSPA+ 3.5G will work, as will Tmobile and their 42MB/s HSPA, once they fire up 1.9Ghz in your area. The Verizon is an international model, so it will also work on foreign LT networks.

The facetime and hotspot feature are carrier related, something AT&T is restricting to certain plans.

----------

As another poster stated, I also like that between the 2 devices and different networks I have a decent chance of having decent speed for data, not to mention WIFI access from hotspots for both networks.

100% agree. You get the best of two separate networks.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
As some here, I also have ATT's iPhone, and have the unlimited data, but I ended up getting the Verizon version, only because that is all that was available, I figure I can always change it later on.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
AT&T iPhone with simultaneous voice and data plus Verizon iPad with hotpsot is the best combo. Plus, then if one network is on the the fritz, you can get online with the other...

arom

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Now I thought I read somewhere that the Verizon SIM becomes deactivated if you don't use it for more then 5 months? Meaning you have to get a new SIM card after it becomes deactivated? Is that still the case?

DarkAether

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
From what I've read, it's no longer an issue with IOS 6. Those supposedly "wiped" SIMs magically started working for folks again after the update.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
not to rain on the parade

But has anyone here actually tried using an AT&T sim in a Verizon iPad Mini ?

I'm well aware that it works with the iPhone 5, but I'm trying it right now with a known good AT&T sim and it's not working in my iPad mini.

I get the bars and the AT&T logo in the upper left, but the iPad tells me I don't have an internet connection when I do anything like use Safari

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

I also have a grandfathered iPhone Unlimited plan with AT&T that I don't plan on giving up. Ever. lol.

But I did go with Verizon service for my iPad Mini for the following reasons:

1) I travel internationally often and would like to be able to get LTE service in some areas (though I know it will likely be 3G in most due to mess that is LTE).

2) Hotspot is available on the VZW pre-paid plans. I don't think it's available on AT&T, but don't quote me. I went with the $30/2GB plan.

3) I have noticed enough times where my AT&T service is low, friends with VZW service are fine. And vice-versa. I figure, I will hopefully always have 1 or the other.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I have an unlimited AT&T iPhone 5 and decided to get a Verizon Mini. I have an iPad 2 with AT&T but have had problems on the go certain places with iPad and iPhone not working due to AT&T coverage in some places. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, it stinks.

So I figured this time around I'd get a Verizon iPad mini so I have the best of both. Hopefully. Verizon LTE is slower that AT&T LTE in my area. Trade off.

Also, I live in Yardley and AT&T LTE has been here since iPhone 5 launch. All up and all around here. I was in Willow Grove. King of Prussia. Newtown. Etc. LTE is all around here since iPhone 5 launch to the persons point.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I have the ATT unlimited plan and I'm staying with ATT. It works fine in my area so why try something that may or may not work as well. Also I have a 3 and a mini and I'm not sure which will end up getting the unlimited plan. The concept now is to move the unlimited to the mini which I expect will be more mobile than the 3. I've tended to keep the iPad at home but with the size of the mini I anticipate that it should get the unlimited plan.

So purely for the ability to bounce the plan back and forth between the devices I'm staying ATT. Would like a hotspot but have lived without it. When I'm ready to let the unlimited plan lapse (which I really should), maybe then I go to Verizon. My guess is when the iPad mini Retina comes out I'll know my patterns better.

Also, I am reluctant to give up HSPA+. It works well where there is no LTE. I think I would not enjoy Verizon 3G.

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
I just tried my att nano simcard with unlimited data on my mini verizon but it doesnt work. The signal bars is showing no coverage then att 4g signal but when i try to surf the web,safari says no connection. Anyone tried this also?

awb

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I became impatient and got the Verizon mini today. My order for the AT&T mini delivery date is Dec 10. I hope I don't regret getting Verizon. My phone is At&T. I live in AR. Anyone else from AR?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.