Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rishi27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Got my Replacement phone today in a slim white box. But just checked for its imei number with unlock_fusion and it seems to be already unlocked... How come?? :confused:

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Got my Replacement phone today in a slim white box. But just checked for its imei number with unlock_fusion and it seems to be already unlocked... How come?? :confused:

Once you go though the set up, your phone will be locked to whatever carrier sim you have in there.

If it is a Verizon phone, then the GSM portion will remain unlocked.

On a side note: Please tell us what color phone you have and 16, 32, 64 gb, condition of replacement, and the first 4 number of your serial number and week it was made? If you have the original phone seral number to, then please provide the same.

Put your serial number into here: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

You don't have to of course, if you don't want to. My replacement appears to be "new" or someone's returned phone.

My serial no. is DNPJD
Week: 37 September
White 32 GB
DN Chengdu China

Thanks

Last edited:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

Most likely some one already got the iPhone unlocked and then got it replaced at the Apple Store for whatever reason.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Why are you complaining then?
If its already unlocked you dont have to pay unlock fusion another $3-4 to unlock it.
You just saved yourself lots of money:D

rishi27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Why are you complaining then?
If its already unlocked you dont have to pay unlock fusion another $3-4 to unlock it.
You just saved yourself lots of money:D

Did it look like I was complaining??:p I was just wondering how come it be factory unlocked fresh outta box..

----------

Once you go though the set up, your phone will be locked to whatever carrier sim you have in there.

If it is a Verizon phone, then the GSM portion will remain unlocked.

On a side note: Please tell us what color phone you have and 16, 32, 64 gb, condition of replacement, and the first 4 number of your serial number and week it was made? If you have the original phone seral number to, then please provide the same.

Put your serial number into here: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

You don't have to of course, if you don't want to. My replacement appears to be "new" or someone's returned phone.

My serial no. is DNPJD
White 32 GB
DN Chengdu China

Thanks

Replacement serial no. F2LJD
Black 16 GB
F2 ----- I don't know what factory is this??

----------

Most likely some one already got the iPhone unlocked and then got it replaced at the Apple Store for whatever reason.

Do you think a refurbished phone is possible so soon yet? Mine shows it was built in 37th(september) week...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Do you think a refurbished phone is possible so soon yet? Mine shows it was built in 37th(september) week...

I doubt 37th week builds are refurbs. However, refurbished iPhone 4s arrived around the 2 month mark and it's been 59 days already so the newest batch of replacement iPhone 5 should be refurbs rather than brand new any day.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I doubt 37th week builds are refurbs. However, refurbished iPhone 4s arrived around the 2 month mark and it's been 59 days already so the newest batch of replacement iPhone 5 should be refurbs rather than brand new any day.

You're sounding like a refurb phone is just the same faulty phone someone returned and just repackaged in a white box..

Do you really know what goes on regarding replacements?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You're sounding like a refurb phone is just the same faulty phone someone returned and just repackaged in a white box..

Do you really know what goes on regarding replacements?

No, I'm perfectly aware that refurbs are re-manufactured iPhones with a brand new case, battery, etc. Some members are just extremely anal and want to know whether their replacement iPhones are actually refurbs or brand new straight from factory.

phonelover01

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
This chipmunk site...I've seen it in a few threads. Can someone confirm if it's really safe to give them our serial numbers?

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
seems safe enough. never heard of anyone running into trouble by checking their device out on chipmunk, myself included.

SenseiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Did it look like I was complaining??:p I was just wondering how come it be factory unlocked fresh outta box..

Because it's remote unlock, no need to get the phone out of the box to unlock it.

Just send IMEI for unlock, turn the iPhone on and viola! You got unlocked message on iTunes.

rishi27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Alright! I called up apple cause my replacement phone was unlocked straight outta the box( I'm happy though:D). But was wondering how can it be so gave them a call just to check and some Genius on the phone told me this

" IF YOU PERFORM DFU RESTORE ON ANY GSM IPHONE 5, IT AUTOMATICALLY UNOCKS ITSELF":eek:

I was like that is not true, but he was adamant on his point. Was the genius on the phone right?:confused:

phonelover01

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
What's the worst thing the chipmunk site could do with your serial number--open up fraudulent cases on your behalf, flag the phone as stolen, etc.? Or is it pretty benign?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Alright! I called up apple cause my replacement phone was unlocked straight outta the box( I'm happy though:D). But was wondering how can it be so gave them a call just to check and some Genius on the phone told me this

" IF YOU PERFORM DFU RESTORE ON ANY GSM IPHONE 5, IT AUTOMATICALLY UNOCKS ITSELF":eek:

I was like that is not true, but he was adamant on his point. Was the genius on the phone right?:confused:

Lmao:)
We all know that's bs.
If that was the case we all would do dfu restores to unlock them instead of paying for unlocks or chasing AT&T to unlock it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.