Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Touch wood, I don't seem to have the problem. I'm absolutely loving this phone.

Do you mind posting screenshots of the general Battery page then one of the screen on time and one after clicking the graph. Do this after a full charge and days use. Thanks :D

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
In Chris Pirillo's NExus 4 to iPhone 5 comparison video, he says the Nexus 4 "conserved battery better" than the iPhone 5. Who knows how he measured that though.

Either way, all these conflicting battery reports point to something being amiss. I keep reading it has to do with the kernel, and that it's actually a very easy fix for Google to implement. Hopefully it's sooner than later. Hopefully it'll be packaged with that "missing december in Contacts list" update that Google will definitely have to roll out before December.

I'm ready to order this device on the next wave.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
So how do we determine this? my phone lasts up to 20 hours before getting 0% charge, obviously on and off use, isn't that good enough already? screen time was around 3-4 hours, i'll keep an eye out for that today

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
So how do we determine this? my phone lasts up to 20 hours before getting 0% charge, obviously on and off use, isn't that good enough already? screen time was around 3-4 hours, i'll keep an eye out for that today

That sounds pretty good to me provided you didn't have it plugged in at any stage.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

I easily get 20+ hours with my Galaxy Nexus. I just don't get how a new phone with a significantly larger battery, presumably better software, quad-core, and better signal strength (supposedly compared to the Galaxy Nexus) can't match it, if not improve upon it.

Something is def. amiss.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I easily get 20+ hours with my Galaxy Nexus. I just don't get how a new phone with a significantly larger battery, presumably better software, quad-core, and better signal strength (supposedly compared to the Galaxy Nexus) can't match it, if not improve upon it.

Something is def. amiss.

My N4 easily gets better battery life than my GNex did, and I really didn't have any battery issues with the GNex. I'd say my N4 at bare minimum matches my GS3.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
My N4 easily gets better battery life than my GNex did, and I really didn't have any battery issues with the GNex. I'd say my N4 at bare minimum matches my GS3.

At least now I know I won't be downgrading in terms of battery life since I'll be switching from a GS3 too.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

Something is def. amiss.
The first couple of days my N4's battery life seemed rather poor. By "poor" I mean like my iPhone 4S's battery life, which is horrible.

After going through a few charge cycles, though, it seems to have gotten better. I attribute that to the battery breaking in as well as me better getting to know the system and tuning it for better battery life. At first I left live wallpaper on, threw on a bunch of widgets, etc. Now the only widget I have aside from the clock (hmmm? maybe that should go too) is the power control widget (which I love!).

I have been turning off the GPS a lot too.

I also am leaving brightness at auto. It seems to work better on auto than my iPhone does. Better yet, the power control widget lets me set it instantly to 0%, 50%, and--for those demo times :)--100%. (And then one more tap back to auto.)

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The first couple of days my N4's battery life seemed rather poor. By "poor" I mean like my iPhone 4S's battery life, which is horrible.

After going through a few charge cycles, though, it seems to have gotten better. I attribute that to the battery breaking in as well as me better getting to know the system and tuning it for better battery life. At first I left live wallpaper on, threw on a bunch of widgets, etc. Now the only widget I have aside from the clock (hmmm? maybe that should go too) is the power control widget (which I love!).

I have been turning off the GPS a lot too.

I also am leaving brightness at auto. It seems to work better on auto than my iPhone does. Better yet, the power control widget lets me set it instantly to 0%, 50%, and--for those demo times :)--100%. (And then one more tap back to auto.)

Michael

Toggle widgets are a beautiful thing. I actually think widgets, usually, are a bit overrated, but certain ones really go a long way in making the experience smoother and easier. Settings/toggle widgets are def. one of them.

Try setting up a page for direct-dial or direct-text contacts too. I reserve one of my home screens for my most frequented calls/texts contacts. It's great.

Initial battery cycles are always going to be lower due to initial use and fascination/setting up the device. Should level out after, like you said.

However, I hope 4.2.1 does address whatever kernel issues some are having. And I hope it comes soon. My prediction, before December.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Maybe the Nexus 4 issues are just software related.. but the LG Optimus G is positively having these wakelock issues preventing deep sleep when not on LTE. I couldnt get more than 9 hours on a single charge with it, and low actual usage time. I'm afraid that it could be a hardware problem with the radios. LG refuses to acknowledge the issue as of right now.

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Since upgrading my Nexus 7 to 4.2 the battery life is PATHETIC.

If I put it in sleep and leave it in my bag for a day, it's completely dead and won't even turn on until it's plugged in. iPad I can leave on standby for a week and it would still have battery left when I picked it up.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

If I put it in sleep and leave it in my bag for a day, it's completely dead and won't even turn on until it's plugged in. iPad I can leave on standby for a week and it would still have battery left when I picked it up.

That's not good. I'm going to update Paranoid Android to the beta of 4.2 and hopefully it won't be like that.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

I unplugged the Nexus 7 yesterday at 7:00, now, 37 hours after it has 78% of the battery and the most hungry one was Google Maps with the location features.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Been pretty good today, took it off charge at 7am. Although its only spent about 80 minutes with the screen on, GPS, 3G and Bluetooth and WiFi turned on. Plus I spend most of my working day inside buildings that have appalling signal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-20-19-26-24.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-20-19-26-24.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 89

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Been pretty good today, took it off charge at 7am. Although its only spent about 80 minutes with the screen on, GPS, 3G and Bluetooth and WiFi turned on. Plus I spend most of my working day inside buildings that have appalling signal.

Battery percentage left? :p

Did you have the Daydream feature on throughout the day? I just don't understand how the screen can be on but the phone not awake.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

That actually seems decent and it looks like there's around 50% left. At least it won't be a downgrade from my GS2.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Battery percentage left? :p

Did you have the Daydream feature on throughout the day? I just don't understand how the screen can be on but the phone not awake.

Im not sure what it was back then, it's on 46% now. And no Daydream is off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.