Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treysmay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
toronto, ontario, canada
im looking for the equivalent of Ctrl+F from windows on a mac. i love the function in XP. wherein you can locate a specific word throughout a web-page or an E-book etc. i would really appreciate the os x knowledge. thanks

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Command-F is the equivalent to Windows' Ctrl-F in most Mac programs. Command-G is usually "find next".

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The Spotlight tip is cool though! I've found myself opening random documents in Windows and doing the Ctrl-F thing because the search doggie is slow and lazy and not very bright.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
iMeowbot said:
Command-F is the equivalent to Windows' Ctrl-F in most Mac programs. Command-G is usually "find next".

and the cool thing is, if you search for a word in one application, switch to another application and do a new word search, OS X remembers the word you were last looking for :cool:

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Most "control-[something]" combinations are the same in Macs. You just have to substitute the "control key" by the "command key" (the one with the Apple logo)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yep, it was good of MS to keep the same letters (eg. X, C, V for cut, copy, paste) when they copied the interface :p

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
Nermal said:
Yep, it was good of MS to keep the same letters (eg. X, C, V for cut, copy, paste) when they copied the interface :p

haha... you said it before I could...

hey treysmay, just to give you a heads up, the command key is the one next to the space bar that has an apple on it.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Nermal said:

Are you accusing microsoft of copying? How dare you?! :p

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I dig being able to type / to search a web page in Firefox on my office PC. Just like vi in terminal :p I wish I could get Safari to do the same thing on my Mac. I actually prefer Safari :cool:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Cooknn said:
I dig being able to type / to search a web page in Firefox on my office PC. Just like vi in terminal :p I wish I could get Safari to do the same thing on my Mac. I actually prefer Safari :cool:
Install AcidSearch, not only do you get greatly increased functionality with the (Google) toolbar search field, far superior to and easier to configure than the "engines" in Firefox, but you can also enable Find As You Type, which starts searching the current page when you start typing. You don't even have to type the /... ;)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Install AcidSearch, not only do you get greatly increased functionality with the (Google) toolbar search field, far superior to and easier to configure than the "engines" in Firefox, but you can also enable Find As You Type, which starts searching the current page when you start typing. You don't even have to type the /... ;)
Sweet :D Found this on their site: If the popup is set to "Press / to Enable," you must press the slash key to begin searching, then type the text you are looking for. This option also gives audio feedback while you type (much like Mozilla Firefox). Old habits... :p

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Cooknn said:

And for the sake of completeness (and my world-wide evangelism campaign), / searches a web page in Camino as well.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Nermal said:

He must of run out of space to write down the 'quit' shortcut. Where the hell did alt-F4 come from :confused: :p :p :p :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
whocares said:
He must of run out of space to write down the 'quit' shortcut. Where the hell did alt-F4 come from :confused: :p :p :p :p

I could say the same about Cmd-Shift-3 to take a screenshot.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Nermal said:

Because Cmd-Shift-4 makes crosshairs, and if you press the spacebar afterwards you get a "This Object" camera.

And it has been in the OS since at least OS 8...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nermal said:

True, but there are only so many intuitive key sequences possible before you start getting double-ups ( :eek: ). And arguably, unless you are Paul Thurrott, you probably use the quit sequence a little more often than the screenshot one.

On the other hand, Windows does have that nifty self-quitting feature if you open up enough apps at the same time. Of course, you have to reboot though. :(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mad jew said:
And arguably, unless you are Paul Thurrott, you probably use the quit sequence a little more often than the screenshot one.

You just made my day :)

mad jew said:
On the other hand, Windows does have that nifty self-quitting feature if you open up enough apps at the same time.

And, as if once wasn't enough, you just did it again :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.