Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you been censored by MacRumors?

• Yes, they have deleted one of my posts.

Votes: 97 61.4%
  • No, I have never had a post deleted.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Are you waiving your right to moderation privacy? If so, then we can discuss the reason for that timeout in this thread, as well as the rest of your moderation history. Otherwise, please use the Contact form if you have a concern regarding specific moderation.
Is anybody addressing you? Go troll someone else.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I got timeouted for just posting in the thread about heavy handed moderation. Thought that was pretty funny.

Its a valid request. You complained about your timeout and by waiving your right to moderation privacy it can be discussed here. Due to privacy rules we do not publicly discuss member's moderation history unless they waive that right

If you're unhappy with the moderation and do not wish to discuss the details here, then please use the contact us form and an administrator will answer any questions you may have.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Its a valid request. You complained about your timeout and by waiving your right to moderation privacy it can be discussed here. Due to privacy rules we do not publicly discuss member's moderation history unless they waive that right

If you're unhappy with the moderation and do not wish to discuss the details here, then please use the contact us form and an administrator will answer any questions you may have.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read anywhere where Orange Crane complained about his/her timeout, or wanted to discuss the reasons.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read anywhere where Orange Crane complained about his/her timeout, or wanted to discuss the reasons.
Yes. More having a chuckle at the situation. "Some" don't get it, but I don't mind.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I got timeouted for just posting in the thread about heavy handed moderation. Thought that was pretty funny.
No, you didn't get a time-out for "just posting in the thread". If your post resulted in moderator action, it was because it violated a forum rule. However, when dejo presented you with an opportunity to get all the facts revealed, you make an accusation of trolling? It sounds like you know full well that you violated forum rules, and just don't want the facts to be known, because you're hiding from the truth.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
No, you didn't get a time-out for "just posting in the thread". If your post resulted in moderator action, it was because it violated a forum rule. However, when dejo presented you with an opportunity to get all the facts revealed, you make an accusation of trolling? It sounds like you know full well that you violated forum rules, and just don't want the facts to be known, because you're hiding from the truth.

I'm not certain why you are making such a comment. The only ones presumably who know why Orange Crane was given a timeout is Orange Crane and the moderator(s).

As stated earlier, he/she wasn't complaining or wanting a discussion about the timeout.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not certain why you are making such a comment. The only ones presumably who know why Orange Crane was given a timeout is Orange Crane and the moderator(s).

As stated earlier, he/she wasn't complaining or wanting a discussion about the timeout.
A claim was made that they received a time-out simply for posting in a thread. That is false. dejo offered to reveal the facts that disprove the false claim, but the offer was rejected, since the one making the false claim doesn't appear to want the truth to be told. It has nothing to do with complaining, but rather a correction needed for a false and misleading post.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
A claim was made that they received a time-out simply for posting in a thread. That is false. dejo offered to reveal the facts that disprove the false claim, but the offer was rejected, since the one making the false claim doesn't appear to want the truth to be told. It has nothing to do with complaining, but rather a correction needed for a false and misleading post.

Nope, No claim was made. What was posted was just a throwaway line, not a false and misleading post.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Then what is the point of the post if we can't respond to it, per the forum rules on moderation privacy?

This is why the Moderation FAQ says:

You can waive your right to moderation privacy when posting in the Site and Forum Feedback forum if you say explicitly that you give us permission to discuss the reasons behind your moderation. This includes your previous forum record, since that's a factor.

As it stands now it's his word against... <crickets> We can't say anything, and this is why the first rule of moderation is that we don't allow talk about specific acts moderation. Orange Crane made it specific by mentioning what his punishment was and in what thread.

B

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Then what is the point of the post if we can't respond to it, per the forum rules on moderation privacy?

This is why the Moderation FAQ says:

As it stands now it's his word against... <crickets> We can't say anything, and this is why the first rule of moderation is that we don't allow talk about specific acts moderation. Orange Crane made it specific by mentioning what his punishment was and in what thread.

B

Maybe it's just me, but I read it as a throwaway line, not a direct complaint.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Nope, No claim was made. What was posted was just a throwaway line, not a false and misleading post.
So that's the new term for a lie? A "throwawy line"? :rolleyes:
I got timeouted for just posting in the thread about heavy handed moderation.
That is a claim. It is false and misleading. False, in that people don't get time-outs just for posting in threads. Misleading, as it suggests that moderators arbitrarily put members in time-out with no reason.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

If it's a throwaway line, we should be able to delete it as we do with LOL +1 Cool Story Bro, etc.... Which are all also against the rules. No?

There is clearly a specific claim being made here. "Punishment X was delivered due to cause Y" is a specific claim. If moderation privacy were waived, perhaps we could respond with "on top of Y, you also did Z and A,B,C which were all pointed out to you", but as it is we can't.

B

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I have had ~3 deleted posts for ridiculous things (at least from my perspective), but I can understand why they did it and I like that they explain why it happened on PM.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State

The moderators work as a team. So, when you address one moderator in a thread you are, normally, addressing the entire team. I asked it you were interested in discussing your flippant remark further but, instead, you chose to attack me. I'll take that as a No.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
The moderators work as a team. So, when you address one moderator in a thread you are, normally, addressing the entire team. I asked it you were interested in discussing your flippant remark further but, instead, you chose to attack me. I'll take that as a No.

I too read it as a flippant remark, but I will concede that since I'm not a moderator, I can ignore it, while you cannot.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
He was making a statement that you seemed to want to take to the next level. I don't see where he wanted an explanation. I guess sarcasm is hard to determine on the internet.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
He was making a statement that you seemed to want to take to the next level. I don't see where he wanted an explanation.

He probably didn't want an explanation, but since he made a misleading statement that he was timed-out "just for posting" and, since other members read this thread, the mods felt we should ask him in order to let us set the record straight and educate other users. Unfortunately, without him waiving his right to moderation privacy, we are unable to provide any details.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

This is the situation:

A member commented on specific moderation in a public thread, which is a rules violation:

Orange Crane said:

As per the forum rules, which all members accept as part of the registration process, comments on, discussions of, or questions about specific moderation must be sent via the Contact Us form. If a member breaks this rule, we do one of two things: we either delete the comment and send whatever reaction is appropriate based on the member's moderation history, or we ask if the member is waiving his/her right to moderation privacy, in which case we can discuss the moderation here, in detail.

That's what you're missing, pivo6.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed Eric :) I'm surprised I'm not in "timeout" after you know what :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised. Fairness and moderation don't go together around here. You were equally responsible for the off-topic nature of our "discussion" in the Purchases thread, and you got nothing. Another member called me a troll, and nothing.

I no longer find this forum enjoyable, especially when it comes to the lack of consistency and transparency when it comes to moderation. I've been around for over five years, participate a lot, help when I can, and when I send a Contact Form to ask why things weren't handled fairly, it is ignored. That was my first TO... it's not like I was a repeat offender.

Don't worry mods, you won't hear a peep out of me anymore. Way to chase off another long time member. I'm done here.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I'm not surprised. Fairness and moderation don't go together around here. You were equally responsible for the off-topic nature of our "discussion" in the Purchases thread, and you got nothing.

I happen to agree with you. Both of us deserved timeout. I learned a lesson here., never bring up politics. I'm very passionate in my beliefs, and I'm sure you are as well. No hard feelings, ok? :)

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
...and when I send a Contact Form to ask why things weren't handled fairly, it is ignored.

I'd be very interested to know which contact you've sent that hasn't gotten a response. Contacts are not ignored. I can look it up for you if you like tomorrow, check the timestamps for any contacts you've sent with the timestamps for the corresponding responses.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Are you waiving your right to moderation privacy? If so, then we can discuss the reason for that timeout in this thread, as well as the rest of your moderation history. Otherwise, please use the Contact form if you have a concern regarding specific moderation.

This thread is quite amusing.

I hereby and forever waive my right to moderation privacy.

Surely said:
I'm done here.

Surely, you can't be serious.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I'm not surprised. Fairness and moderation don't go together around here. You were equally responsible for the off-topic nature of our "discussion" in the Purchases thread, and you got nothing. Another member called me a troll, and nothing.

I no longer find this forum enjoyable, especially when it comes to the lack of consistency and transparency when it comes to moderation. I've been around for over five years, participate a lot, help when I can, and when I send a Contact Form to ask why things weren't handled fairly, it is ignored. That was my first TO... it's not like I was a repeat offender.

Don't worry mods, you won't hear a peep out of me anymore. Way to chase off another long time member. I'm done here.

I've found the moderation to be uneven quite often, as well. And heavy handed when not necessary. I'd never gotten a TO before, and got a 1-week for a pretty innocuous comment. After some discussion via the contact form, it got reduced to 2 days, but that sort of thing is incredibly annoying, and I shouldn't have to point out the obvious unfairness in something like that.

There's also the huge problem of defining what "trolling" is, since it seems to mean different things for different members. There are a few posters in PRSI who make a living by posting provoking, ignorant drivel over and over again, and nothing happens to them.

And if you truly to sign off forever, Surely, you'll be missed. :( Not sure how much more of the post deleting, TO sprees and the like I'm willing to put up with myself.

----------

I happen to agree with you. Both of us deserved timeout. I learned a lesson here., never bring up politics. I'm very passionate in my beliefs, and I'm sure you are as well. No hard feelings, ok? :)

Except for the part where you brought up politics in another picture thread just 15 minutes ago, talking about "illegals" taking our jobs in the "Things you want but don't have" thread. So I'm not sure that lesson was learned too well, and again, although the post got deleted, the lack of a TO yesterday and and today is a little baffling by comparison.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.