Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
There's actual skeumorphism (the concept of the trash can, the iTunes play button, Finder folder, etc) and then there's gaudy skeumorphism and textures (Game Center, iCal, iOS Calendar, Reminders, etc).

It's safe to assume that the skeumorphism people are discussing here belongs to the gaudy kind. The kind that hampers functionality.

Where the actual ends and where the gaudy starts then? You can argue: "when the functionality is not compromised". Well then personally I believe that the reminders app is perfectly functional and the skeuomorphic approach of it actually makes it fun to use. Also in what aspect iOS calendar is skeuomorphic? And if you define gaudy the use of textures dont forget that Macos was using brushed metal as a standard texture for a long long time without anyone complain for limitation in functionality.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
It is much more that that. The ios 6 beta feedback was pretty bad for Map. But if you watched Forstall Iphone 5 launch pitch, he made IOS map out to be a polished product. A big part of the anger from the user community is the fact that they don't have a functional map and they were misled by Apple on the state of the IOS map. If Forstall had told the truth early enough, Apple could have kept Google map in IOS 6 for another year while putting the IOS map side by side as a beta. No one would be angry and Apple would have gotten what they want.. Forstall basically sandbagged the company into a very difficult situation all because of his ego. He deserved to be fired in my book..

When I saw that presentation I wondered if Apple was using the same app. :(

abrantes09

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2019
Its 2019 at the time of writing. Oh, how little these people know about what is to come at Apple...

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Its 2019 at the time of writing. Oh, how little these people know about what is to come at Apple...

What is to come at Apple. Please share and be specific.

What I7 said.

If you’re going to resurrect a 6-year-dead zombie-thread, it had better be a darn good reason full of insight and facts.

That post was, instead, an opinionated waste.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Am I missing something here?
Zombie thread resurrection.

giphy.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.