Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I think it's only fair to allow Apple a year or so to bring maps up to speed. After all it's a very big endeavor. Look how long Google has worked on theirs to bring it to the high level of accuracy and usefulness it is today.

There's no way Apple can possibly be expected to have a useful mapping system anytime soon. Let's face it, there's nothing new about Apple feeling so superior to everyone else, they delude themselves.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've been out and about today, and had the chance to use Maps after a week or two off. I've reported 20 or so errors or omissions since the release, and most of them have been fixed. It does seem that things are improving, but there is still a long road ahead until Apple get to a point where we can say that Maps is providing accurate information.

As posted above, it's probably going to take the best part of a year to really get to grips with what was a total mess on release. It still begs the question as to why Apple chose to release it in an unfinished, half cocked way they did, but on the whole? Yes, things are getting better.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My errors still haven't been fixed (Toronto). I suppose they make USA the priority. Or maybe they just do them in whatever order they receive them? But I reported mine the week of the launch.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I think it's only fair to allow Apple a year or so to bring maps up to speed. After all it's a very big endeavor. Look how long Google has worked on theirs to bring it to the high level of accuracy and usefulness it is today.

There's no way Apple can possibly be expected to have a useful mapping system anytime soon. Let's face it, there's nothing new about Apple feeling so superior to everyone else, they delude themselves.

When Google switched away from using 3rd parties for data to doing it themselves, people noticed improvements almost immediately and data accuracy was already better than what Apple released. There really is no excuse. Also, I could almost forgive them for a lack of POIs but when POIs are in the wrong location it wastes people's time and money and harms trust in the map.

----------

My errors still haven't been fixed (Toronto). I suppose they make USA the priority. Or maybe they just do them in whatever order they receive them? But I reported mine the week of the launch.

I live in the US and the one submission I made near release still hasn't been fixed. I'm not going to bother with more submissions until I see at least one of them get corrected. I think the problem in this case is they are trying to use the satellite image to verify the submission that the McDonalds near me has been torn down. Even though it was over a year ago the satellite image still shows it there. They need to mobilize people to have any hope of making and keeping an accurate map.

Last edited:

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004

Fair?

Gve me a break.
Fair would be using he year Lifton the Google license to get the ****** Apple app working properly. Instead of forcing this half-a$$ed piece of garbage on us.
Terrific reporting is still not right. And if you use the Apple maps, you are guaranteed to end up in traffic jams, as opposed to using google maps to avoid them.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixelchild

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
I know a lot of you really like apple maps so I'll refrain from ranting too much:I

I live in Philadelphia. Apple Maps is constantly wrong for locations in the city. It even messed up the location for major retailers like Target.

The Map program sucks, if you live here.

----------

Fair?

Gve me a break.
Fair would be using he year Lifton the Google license to get the sh$&tty Apple app working properly. Instead of forcing this half-a$$ed piece of garbage on us.
Terrific reporting is still not right. And if you use the Apple maps, you are guaranteed to end up in traffic jams, as opposed to using google maps to avoid them.

Damn straight.

Aug 26, 2008
Is Apple Maps still error now? I want to upgrade my New Ipad..

Your post inspired me to do this.

22mc68.jpg

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Fair?

Gve me a break.
Fair would be using he year Lifton the Google license to get the sh$&tty Apple app working properly. Instead of forcing this half-a$$ed piece of garbage on us.

speak for yourself; google maps always got me into traffic jams in Canada, apple maps have so far helped me save tons of time by avoiding traffic.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
speak for yourself; google maps always got me into traffic jams in Canada, apple maps have so far helped me save tons of time by avoiding traffic.
Oh please. I don't know who you think you're fooling, but I have first hand experience. Apple has a very long ways to go before they have proper functionality, accuracy, and become worth using.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
On the other hand, Maps is downright unusable in my hometown because its POI data looks like it's from 10 years ago (seriously), not to mention that half of those POI that are correct are located on the wrong side of the street. Been reporting these since iOS 6 came out... nothing still.

Yes same for me. I don't think a single one is exactly in the right place. Would be better if you could just turn them all off.

farkingdom

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
I did over 20 corrections on POIs around my house on the day after iOS6 came out.

Nothing has changed.

Maps in the UK is still just as unusable as ever.

Roll on the Google Maps app, otherwise I'll need a Spamdroid phone.
Ikr! I've been reporting problems on POIs for my area (Kuching, Sarawak Malaysia) since a week or two iOS6 came out. Nothing changed until now and the places I reported are prominent places such us universities and big shopping malls. I even went to post extra information such as phone numbers etc or went to add them in different options.

Instead, they decide to add POIs for little small shops that I nor the general public know about which is placed wrongly in the middle of the road in maps.

Apple, I thought you were working hard to improve your map? because Google map in my area looks way better.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Oh please. I don't know who you think you're fooling, but I have first hand experience. Apple has a very long ways to go before they have proper functionality, accuracy, and become worth using.

You do realize you are not the only person on earth with an iPhone running iOS 6 and a car?

Yes I own an iPhone 5 and I use apple maps daily; sorry if that doesn't meet your criteria for a 'first-hand' experience. :rolleyes:

get real and
quit being so cocky about the silly assumptions that you make. (stop upvoting your own post, it doesn't make it any more credible)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
You do realize you are not the only person on earth with an iPhone running iOS 6 and a car?

Yes I own an iPhone 5 and I use apple maps daily; sorry if that doesn't meet your criteria for a 'first-hand' experience. :rolleyes:

get real and
quit being so cocky about the silly assumptions that you make. (stop upvoting your own post, it doesn't make it any more credible)
Your hostility is impressive. :eek:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Google spent over 10 years preping its maps. Nobody realised it but think how long it took to drive down every street in America.
Apple is getting better ......meanwhile Apps out there and coming out to fill the gap.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

It took them almost four weeks to start fixing the ones I drew to their attention..I'm guessing they are snowed under with reports, but it's worth doing...Probably the only way Maps will ever get properly fixed.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It took them almost four weeks to start fixing the ones I drew to their attention..I'm guessing they are snowed under with reports, but it's worth doing...Probably the only way Maps will ever get properly fixed.

I wonder if more people report the same error, would it get bumped up in the list? Makes sense I guess.

Mine is taking a lot longer than 4 weeks lol.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I apparently drove through a field at lunch but it distinctly looked like Tarmac to me. Who do I report the missing road to? Bing?
Admittedly it's less than a year old but my benchmark of google has had it for a while..

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
No improvement at all!! Submitted several location so they can fix but no correction whatsoever. Phone numbers are wrong, missing numbers etc! The app is great and beautiful but the data that its using is just plain wrong...
For now ill rely on navigon!!

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Every time I've used Apple Maps it has worked perfectly for me, both in central Illinois and in southern Wisconsin.

In some cases better than Google as Google seemed to take forever to find where I was, and Apple Maps can find me in 5 to 10 seconds.

Although I don't use Turn by Turn navigation much, I mostly just bring up the map and figure out how I want to go my self, I've found that Apple maps works fine. I will admit that I usually put in a actual street address rather than list where I want to go as a Point of interest. It's yet to steer me wrong, and has instantly corrected me when I did use it and for one reason or another have gotten off of its route.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This is a forum, not a popularity contest. Not only do I not care what others think, I have no reason to up vote my own post. The person who made that accusation by assumption, would do well to look in the mirror.

This is a forum for expressing opinions, experiences and preferences. Those that have a problem with it; are too emotionally attached to their possessions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.