Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
Funny. So what's the address of Parliament? Big Ben? The Admiralty? That's the point being made here. You shouldn't need to know that a landmark has a certain street address.

But you can search for the "The Parliament" or "Big Ben" and they show on the map. Don't know what your problem is here.

Attachments

• IMG_0552.PNG
    IMG_0552.PNG
    441.8 KB · Views: 115

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
iPhone maps needs Chinese support
I can't search Chinese addresses in Hong Kong which Google Maps can do.... that's just sad.

It does. If you go to Maps settings and set Map Labels - Always English to off. It will then show names in Chinese and it recognizes searches also.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I really wish they'd hire a local team to improve the maps in Japan. I use the American App Store (No Japanese credit card) and I can't find a good map alternative. Many people around the world are probably in the same situation, and the international maps need the most improvement.

For example, they have an important station listed right in the middle of the Imperial Palace grounds. I don't think the Emperor would appreciate that.

Apparently, Kentucky Fried Chicken is a train station next to mine. Funny thing is there isn't a KFC nor a train station in that location.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
I really wish they'd hire a local team to improve the maps in Japan. I use the American App Store (No Japanese credit card) and I can't find a good map alternative. Many people around the world are probably in the same situation, and the international maps need the most improvement.

For example, they have an important station listed right in the middle of the Imperial Palace grounds. I don't think the Emperor would appreciate that.

Apparently, Kentucky Fried Chicken is a train station next to mine. Funny thing is there isn't a KFC nor a train station in that location.

could you ask someone with a japanese CC to "gift" you a good local app and you can just pay them offline? Just a suggestion.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
But you can search for the "The Parliament" or "Big Ben" and they show on the map. Don't know what your problem is here.

You missed the point and are taking my quote completely out of context.
The person I was responding to said that a person who posted from DC that he couldn't find buildings in DC by their names suggested that, in England there were street names and numbers as part of the address system. (duh).
My point was that OBVIOUSLY, that's done in the US as well, but the original person was complaining about not being able to find buildings by their names only.
I was saying that it's unlikely anyone knows the street addresses of monuments in London as well.
Sometimes, these quotes get taken SO out of context...

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
I think the POI position problems are caused by the address system not aligning with the map. If they can work out how to fix that it should correct all POIs (as long they contain the correct address data).

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I think the POI position problems are caused by the address system not aligning with the map. If they can work out how to fix that it should correct all POIs (as long they contain the correct address data).

I've been seeing a lot of this. Most POIs I've tried to navigate to have been about 1/4 to 1/2 mile off.

I've also noticed database issues in cities with addresses divided into quadrants. I drove miles out of my way in one case this past weekend because the database said "SE" and I was actually supposed to go to "NW".

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen

It looks like POI data came from more than one source - I have the same station three times on the map, three different locations and three different names. If this was an address aligning issue there would (at least) be some consistency in the errors - right now they are off in different ways.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
It looks like POI data came from more than one source - I have the same station three times on the map, three different locations and three different names. If this was an address aligning issue there would (at least) be some consistency in the errors - right now they are off in different ways.

True, I haven't found any consistency. Even the ones linked to Yelp have different positions to Yelp.

I corrected a lot of errors on Yelp, most of which have been updated but those changes haven't transferred to Maps.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
I think the biggest problem for Apple now is POIs. Better not to show any info than to show it in the wrong place (well, unless you need people to report it).

But something in their system to merge POIs into their maps is borked. Too many things are wrong, even slightly, for it to be bad info. Maybe it's lack of precision in the POI database (not enough decimal points in the lat/long), or some mistake when they add the layer (that extra island in the pacific screwing up the maps for everyone).

THiPad

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2010
Last weekend, we drove from Pasadena,CA to Las Vegas, NV.
All I could use was Apple Maps to track our movements to our hotel
destination. It did a great job!

Although when we were driving
back home, the blue "pinging" tracker had us being on the other side
of the freeway a few times!! Sometimes the blue pinger would stop,
and I'd have to refresh to get our current position. That was more in
the desert area, but once we got back closer to San Bernardino
County, the blue pinger scrolled along from screen to screen with no
problems.

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
Big error Washington DC

In the DC area, Georgetown - if someone tries to use Apple Maps, they are going to get totally lost. There is a key road called the Whitehurst Freeway - on Apple Maps it's called K Street. K Street at 26th (where the Freeway begins) runs under the freeway until Wisconsin Avenue where it becomes Water Street and then dead-ends. Meanwhile the Freeway (called K in Apple Maps) actually ends at the Key Bridge where it merges with traffic either heading east onto M Street or West onto Canal Road. Apple Maps shows K Street continuing onto Canal Road.

It is just an 8 block area or so, but the Freeway is a major connecting path used for drivers from downtown DC going to VA or MD. I reported it in Apple Maps a few days ago - and then reported it again with some other details. If they just would look at Google Maps they'd understand what I'm saying better.

I keep noticing things in my area trying to see if traffic is improving. I thought I was getting some the other day (like a short dotted red line on M Street for a block or two) - but tonight I get nothing. Meanwhile Google Maps shows traffic in red on M and Wisconsin, Green on the Freeway etc.

Really too bad because I'd love to use Apple Maps, but for now if I don't know where I'm doing, I'll use Navigon that I've had for a few years and check traffic on Google. (Navigon has traffic data, but it doesn't show on the map - more in suggested route times or route changes).

And I'll keep torturing myself looking at Apple Maps. and hoping for improvements. For now - anyone coming to DC, use Google.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
In the DC area, Georgetown - if someone tries to use Apple Maps, they are going to get totally lost. There is a key road called the Whitehurst Freeway - on Apple Maps it's called K Street. K Street at 26th (where the Freeway begins) runs under the freeway until Wisconsin Avenue where it becomes Water Street and then dead-ends. Meanwhile the Freeway (called K in Apple Maps) actually ends at the Key Bridge where it merges with traffic either heading east onto M Street or West onto Canal Road. Apple Maps shows K Street continuing onto Canal Road.

It is just an 8 block area or so, but the Freeway is a major connecting path used for drivers from downtown DC going to VA or MD. I reported it in Apple Maps a few days ago - and then reported it again with some other details. If they just would look at Google Maps they'd understand what I'm saying better.

I keep noticing things in my area trying to see if traffic is improving. I thought I was getting some the other day (like a short dotted red line on M Street for a block or two) - but tonight I get nothing. Meanwhile Google Maps shows traffic in red on M and Wisconsin, Green on the Freeway etc.

Really too bad because I'd love to use Apple Maps, but for now if I don't know where I'm doing, I'll use Navigon that I've had for a few years and check traffic on Google. (Navigon has traffic data, but it doesn't show on the map - more in suggested route times or route changes).

And I'll keep torturing myself looking at Apple Maps. and hoping for improvements. For now - anyone coming to DC, use Google.

The cartography there is bad, but k st is different than the hwy.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
Maps still sucks. Doesn't even show correct locations for AT&T stores!!!

I've got to agree: it sucks. It still thinks the Peter Piper by my house is open, which caused for some MAJOR confusion when I called in a pizza to pick up (ended up having to drive 10+ miles to get my pizza... All because Maps called the wrong location!)

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
iOS Maps problems

Hi,

I have submitted some corrects to Apple Maps, most location corrections show up almost right away. However I notice that the business name changes that I submitted have not been done for several weeks.

Also I made a cinema location correction to the maps but when you search for the business with Siri, she displays the correct address but then when you click on it and it launches maps, the location is the original (wrong) correction.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Hi,

I have submitted some corrects to Apple Maps, most location corrections show up almost right away. However I notice that the business name changes that I submitted have not been done for several weeks.

Also I made a cinema location correction to the maps but when you search for the business with Siri, she displays the correct address but then when you click on it and it launches maps, the location is the original (wrong) correction.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Perhaps it's because Apple's highly trained, crack team of retail employees specially designated from the Apple stores have yet to fan out across the globe to verify changes that people have made...:rolleyes:

OK, being serious for a moment, I'm actually impressed that you have seen map-related location corrections show up so fast. As for why you get the correct address from Siri, but the location is still the old, incorrect one, it may have to do with Apple not making a current priority out of updating the MapKit API. Pure speculation on my part.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Several of the changes near me (not that there have been many, but a few) have been completely cocked up. Either old incorrect data in the wrong place wasn't removed, leaving three or four places on top of each other, or new submissions are in the wrong place, or in more than a few cases Apple just appear to have completely fabricated new data that's totally, totally wrong.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
Hold on a second... You got your corrections added right away!? I've been trying to tell Maps that the Peter Piper by my house is closed, and to quit making me call it because a Peter Piper on the other side of town took their old number.. To put it in a quick sentence, I hate Maps. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.