Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hey all
I have always had the black iPhone considering getting the white iphone 5 when I upgrade next month. Anyone else moved from black to white iPhone. Did you ever feel that you wish you stayed with black or happy with the white one. I know it's down to individual choice end of the day but just seeing what everyone else did. Also from my understanding and reading of the iPhone 5 in black it is more prone to scuff gate compared to white one right? Also is the white one more easily capable of having noticble scratch marks if I did end up accidentley getting a scratch or is it the black one more noticble?

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Kid , pick whatever color you want..

Usually this is my thoughts about this kind of thread but this "kid" isn't asking which one looks cooler, he's asking which one is more susceptible to damage.

If you want to avoid scratches get the white one, plain and simple. Even if it does get nicked on the edge, it still looks just like the factory finish so you won't notice it unless you go really, really close. I have the black one and even though I take care of it, I'm still getting nicks here and there. Doesn't bother me because I'd rather use it naked and get a few nicks than have to use it with a case.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Usually this is my thoughts about this kind of thread but this "kid" isn't asking which one looks cooler, he's asking which one is more susceptible to damage.

If you want to avoid scratches get the white one, plain and simple. Even if it does get nicked on the edge, it still looks just like the factory finish so you won't notice it unless you go really, really close. I have the black one and even though I take care of it, I'm still getting nicks here and there. Doesn't bother me because I'd rather use it naked and get a few nicks than have to use it with a case.
Isn't it pretty obvious that the white hides damage better ?

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
thanks stonyboys for your input. hm kinda leaning in the direction of the white one now :)

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Black - scuffs and scratches show easier
White - Dirt shows easier and can get stuck between the bezel or at the bottom just above the lightning charger.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
tymaster, didn't know: get stuck between the bezel or at the bottom just above the lightning charger.

this happened to yours? or anyone elses?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Black - scuffs and scratches show easier
White - Dirt shows easier and can get stuck between the bezel or at the bottom just above the lightning charger.
Yep.

And in my opinion, the dirt looks WORSE than scratches.

----------

Should be able to clean it with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

No, it's really not cleanable... If you owned one you'd know :)

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
The dirt around the the edges between the glass and metal can be cleaned by lightly scraping between them with a 25g needle. A small sewing needle or pin may do the trick as well but may be too big.

skoldpadda

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Had a Black iPhone 4
Had a White iPhone 4s
Have a White iPhone 5

iPhone 5 in white does get dirty but I only notice mine as I have a screen protector and you can see it gets caught in some very small crevices, if you just get a small needle and wrap the tip with a microfiber cloth, then go over these areas you'll be all good to go, you can even just use your fingernail :)

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Yep.

And in my opinion, the dirt looks WORSE than scratches.

----------

No, it's really not cleanable... If you owned one you'd know :)

But dirt is easy to remove .

You can't remove scratches.

The answer is simple.

Once you go white you're always right.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
But dirt is easy to remove .

You can't remove scratches.

The answer is simple.

Once you go white you're always right.

It's not removable... Clearly you've never even bothered to try on your phone :) Scratches do not bother me as they are a regular part of owning a phone - DIRT really is not!

The answer is simple: Pick the colour you like. Lmfao. White is not better than black; and vice versa. Stop being childish

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
It's not removable... Clearly you've never even bothered to try on your phone :) Scratches do not bother me as they are a regular part of owning a phone - DIRT really is not!

The answer is simple: Pick the colour you like. Lmfao. White is not better than black; and vice versa. Stop being childish

You can't remove dirt? Are you what they call a lunatic?

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Had a Black iPhone 4
Had a White iPhone 4s
Have a White iPhone 5

iPhone 5 in white does get dirty but I only notice mine as I have a screen protector and you can see it gets caught in some very small crevices, if you just get a small needle and wrap the tip with a microfiber cloth, then go over these areas you'll be all good to go, you can even just use your fingernail :)

This.

You can even use a tooth pick. Owned a 4S in white and now a white iPhone 5, which I've had nearly a month and still has no dirt to be found on it. Maybe because of the Ultra Thin Air Spigen Case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.