Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zippersweater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
HI,

I bought a mac mini and I didn't buy a keyboard because theres one I want to order online. Anyway, I turned it on and its asking me to pair a bluetooth keyboard before proceeding. Is there anyway for me to use this computer befopre getting my keyboard? I dont have any external keyboard but I do have a macbook and iphone.

thanks

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
There is an application for the Mac called "Type2Phone" that allows it to mimic a Bluetooth keyboard. With this you should be able to sey up your Mac Mini.

zippersweater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Interesting. The App description says its only for phones. Not sure why they wouldn't advertise that it could works for computers too if it indeed does. How confident are you that it'll work. (Just cause its 5 bucks)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I couldn't say. In theory there shouldn't be a problem. Though perhaps you should wait for someone else to chime in.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Ther isnt a way, you have to plug in an external keyboard to use your macmini, may be a cord one or a bluetooth one.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Maybe you could borrow a friend's keyboard? Or go buy a cheap one and return it when your "online" keyboard comes. But, I'm curious: if you don't have a keyboard, why bother setting the computer up?

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
HI,

I bought a mac mini and I didn't buy a keyboard because theres one I want to order online. Anyway, I turned it on and its asking me to pair a bluetooth keyboard before proceeding. Is there anyway for me to use this computer befopre getting my keyboard? I dont have any external keyboard but I do have a macbook and iphone.

thanks

If you have a thunderbolt cable or a firewire cable (dependent on which macbook you have) you might be able to start the mini in target disk mode and thus configure it that way. I have not ever tried that however

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
As others have suggested, just plug in any old wired keyboard; a mate's, a cheapie.

The Mac Mini's not fussy. It doesn't have to be a flash bluetooth job, though if there isn't a keyboard plugged in, that's what it will be expecting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.