Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FooMan2011

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Here's what pisses me off. I just upgraded two line a week ago and paid $199 plus tax each, for two iP5. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Or in my case, a week early and more money to blow....

stevensocal

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
San Diego, Calif
No matter how desperate I am

I won't buy a referb phone, it's a 50/50 chance you wil get a lemon. I work in the cell phone biz and I see what comes back for refer.. NO THANKS... Pay the extra 100.00 get in the STORE .. Not online .. Have the right experience of enjoying the best phone in the world , first hand , if you can't afford full price DON'T BUY ONE.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
No matter how desperate I am for a product, I'll never get a refurbished one.

Then you have no experience with Apple Refurbs. They are fully warrantied for 1 yr. Are Apple Care Eligible, and in LN condition.

My MP 2.8 Early 2008 was a refurb almost 4.5 years ago. It has run virtually 24-7 since Oct 2008. I've owned refurbished iPhones, iPods, iMacs. In fact the only new Macs I've owned are my Notebooks.

So educate yourself on Apple Refurbs. It aint "Geek Squad". :apple:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Here's what pisses me off. I just upgraded two line a week ago and paid $199 plus tax each, for two iP5. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Or in my case, a week early and more money to blow....

lol - But it's always like that. A coworker of mine is *cheap* and he never gets anything because he knows it will be cheaper later. Had a dumbphone up until this year.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I won't buy a referb phone, it's a 50/50 chance you wil get a lemon. I work in the cell phone biz and I see what comes back for refer.. NO THANKS... Pay the extra 100.00 get in the STORE .. Not online .. Have the right experience of enjoying the best phone in the world , first hand , if you can't afford full price DON'T BUY ONE.

If you work in the "cell phone biz" then you should know that refurbished iPhones are covered by the same warranty as new ones, and thus if you get a lemon... swap for another. Just the same as if you got a new phone and find it's a lemon.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
The real world I live in allows me to buy a no-contract iPhone and operate it on an AT&T MVNO for $10 a month.

At best it's disingenuous to compare a $10/month plan to a $100/month plan.

But yes, you can take a no-contract smartphone (which typically costs more than a subsidised handset) and put it on a cheaper monthly plan (that has more restrictions than a more expensive one) and save money.

Bill.the.Cat

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
That sounds nice, but it doesn't allow you to get it for $99.

I'd take $649 for a full price phone (as the 5 is likely to be once contract demand is satisfied) + $10/month for two years over $2400 + $99 for the phone over two years. It's not for everyone but works great for me and a growing number of others. Sounds like maybe the "real world" you live in and the "real world" I live in are different, nothing wrong with that.

At best it's disingenuous to compare a $10/month plan to a $100/month plan.

Not everyone needs a $100/mo. plan. With wi-fi at home and at work I have minimal needs for data, text/MMS, and airtime.

OK, give details. I use StraightTalk but with fees the monthly cost is around $48...

Airvoice wireless $10/month plan plus Talkatone app (and Google Voice number). Data is admittedly quite pricey, but again I don't really need to use it that much when in wi-fi range (and can use Talkatone for voice).

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
are these Apple certified refurbs or are they Asurion refurbs? there is a HUGE difference...

Trooper Sam

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
I doubt these are Apple refurbs, as Apple doesn't have any of these on their own store as refurbs. They'll likely have whatever warranty remains on them, but that's it.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012

Never have I EVER received a scratched up refurbished product (Laptops, phones, tvs, etc). In fact alot of times refurbished is my first choice. I highly doubt you know what you're talking about no offense. Perhaps you're talking about the products you see BEFORE they are refurbed?

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I have no problem with Apple refurbished products, but the ATT refurbs are done by ATT, and not as nice as Apple.

At least that is my experience when I tried to buy a refurbed iPhone 4 at ATT last year. The phone was scuffed and dirty out of the box. The sales person told me the refurbs are phones that have been returned to ATT. Whatever reason for which the original buyer returned it, if the box was opened it has to be sold as refurb. The working ones are checked over by their techs, cleaned and put back in the boxes.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you're talking about an at&t refurb, then I'd probably agree. I don't think they do the due diligence in fixing them up.
On the other hand, apple refurbs are pretty good. They go through an inspection and are in like new shape.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Ahhh so that's where all the scuffed phones wound up? Remember these aren't apple refurbs, AT&T are selling them, so they might not have the same level of quality as one from an apple shop.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If there's something wrong with them get a Genius Bar swap? This phone is still new so all of them will definitely still be within warranty.

And given people have problems with new in box ones and iPhone 5 is a crapshoot in quality all together, I'd gladly take the 100 extra off if I don't already renew mine.

I was thinking at earliest we'd see this beginning of next year. Guess it makes sense given ten million returns!

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
curious to know if one could purchase applecare+ on one of these.

Yes you can. I just did.

----------

Then you have no experience with Apple Refurbs. They are fully warrantied for 1 yr. Are Apple Care Eligible, and in LN condition.

My MP 2.8 Early 2008 was a refurb almost 4.5 years ago. It has run virtually 24-7 since Oct 2008. I've owned refurbished iPhones, iPods, iMacs. In fact the only new Macs I've owned are my Notebooks.

So educate yourself on Apple Refurbs. It aint "Geek Squad". :apple:

Let him live in his bliss, ignorant or otherwise. More refurb product/savings for us!

Kenn Marks

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
Missed opportunity

It depends on the refurb provider. The last 6 of the last 10 Apple products I've purchased have been refurbs (store.apple.com - Refurbished sale tag in left column), never had a problem and all portable devices were eligible to have AppleCare even though some were 2 generations old. I've have not been able to confirm AppleCare on these AT&T refurbs and that plays a major role in my decision to purchase from this source. Apple confirmed they did not have refurbs of iPhone 5s at this time and that AT&T must provide the warranty coverage. I could not contact AT&T on Black Friday to confirm warranty coverage if any. I will update this post if I finally get through to someone at AT&T. :(

----------

Never have I EVER received a scratched up refurbished product (Laptops, phones, tvs, etc). In fact alot of times refurbished is my first choice. I highly doubt you know what you're talking about no offense. Perhaps you're talking about the products you see BEFORE they are refurbed?

Since this is still under warrantee and possibly under AppleCare you just take it to the Genius Bar and get an official Apple replacement (new or refurbed who can tell the difference);)

----------

Sounds good until you consider the $2400 you'll pay to be shackled to AT&T for 2 years.

So I'm going to be paying "$2400" over the next two years on my out of contract 3GS why not save $100 on a 32GB iPhone 5 (16GB just doesn't hack it any more) and get all the features I can't use in iOS 6 on a 3GS:D

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
It depends on the refurb provider. The last 6 of the last 10 Apple products I've purchased have been refurbs (store.apple.com - Refurbished sale tag in left column), never had a problem and all portable devices were eligible to have AppleCare even though some were 2 generations old. I've have not been able to confirm AppleCare on these AT&T refurbs and that plays a major role in my decision to purchase from this source. Apple confirmed they did not have refurbs of iPhone 5s at this time and that AT&T must provide the warranty coverage. I could not contact AT&T on Black Friday to confirm warranty coverage if any. I will update this post if I finally get through to someone at AT&T. :(

I called apple and they said you can purchase AppleCare+ for an AT&T refurb. Curious if someone gets a different response.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I bought an AT&T refurbed iPhone 4 a few months ago at a very good price. It looked in perfect condition. The USB cable was faulty and easily replaced, but the phone was fine.

Phil.

Bill.the.Cat

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
Apple confirmed they did not have refurbs of iPhone 5s at this time and that AT&T must provide the warranty coverage.

Does Apple themselves ever sell phone refurbs? I was under the impression they left that completely to the service providers themselves. I'd love to be able to buy an Apple refurbed off-contract iPhone.

Kenn Marks

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
I called apple and they said you can purchase AppleCare+ for an AT&T refurb. Curious if someone gets a different response.

Just placed my order with the help of Robert @ AT&T Customer Service and he confirmed with Apple that all I have to do is bring my new (refurb) iPhone into an Apple Store with my receipt and after inspection they will add AppleCare+ to my unit.

As to the previous poster Apple does have iPhones on its refurb site but only when it gets an excess that it can't use for replacement units or that are not wanted by particular carriers due to over stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.