Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That is not why people buy Hasselblad ...

They do it for the effective resolution which is a product of the large sensor and the high quality optics, and for the color accuracy and dynamic range.

Sarcasm is something you clearly don't understand I take it... ;)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I read somewhere David Hasselholf is coming out with an 18-200 optical zoom attachment the size a quarter. Now if Lindsey Loham can figure out a way to combine this with Wills attachment ill buy it.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
If Nikon/Kodak/anyone made something like this but with a lens mount and a decent sized sensor (not MP but physical size - something on par with Nikon DX sensor or better) I'd buy it and sell my dSLR. Bonus point if it's Nikon and I can keep all my lenses.

I would be nice to get "free" geo-tagging and internet connectivity, plus easily up-dateable and customizable software on my SLR.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I like pink turtles...

Oh wait, wrong topic... :eek::D

I think this camera will not sell. The iPhone camera is already the best camera in a smartphone. :D:apple:

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
It's so stupid that it's interesting. Like a train wreck. Gotta give the once over though, you never know. Just funny that dude is branding a camera phone camera.

----------

Judging from the article, it's a good thing he didn't try to endorse a dictionary, thesaurus, or electronic grammar check. You would think with all that money, they would learn how to speak and write properly.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
How does adding a camera attachment make your smartphone a "geniusphone"? A smartphone is a smartphone because of the OS, not the camera...

ghostwriter

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Rocky Mountains U.S.A.
Megapixels matter, but not as much as you might think and having 14 mp won't make anyone a better photographer. Composition can make or break a good photo. Yes, you can crop in post production but it rarely makes up for a poorly composed photograph.

The iPhone is already capable of taking amazing shots. There's a whole new genre of photography called "iPhoneography" thats developed around shooting with the iPhone. I'm not convinced (nor do I need to be) that this accessory will add much to the stock camera.

Megapixels matter most when you're printing and creating enlargements. Studies show most people no longer print their photos, opting instead to share photos digitally, via text message, email, etc. So the average consumer will have no need for a 14mp add-on that must be carried separately and then docked for use.

The hassle-factor for such an item is too high. You might as well just carry a high megapixel point and shoot - it'll be easier than docking and un-docking this accessory.

But what do I know. I've only been shooting for 30 years :rolleyes:

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Please don't let this site go downhill like other popular sites

I read the posts here and it makes me sad. So this guy has a great idea for a camera add on and without even understanding the options or possibilities, you folks are decrying/mocking it. In addition, you are criticizing his "writing", whereas if you had as much sense as you claim he doesn't have, you would know that that is a news article written by someone else. So, either they wrote it wrong or macrumors transcribed it wrong. In either case not his fault.

So, those of you who are happy with your iPhone cameras, be happy. I use mine on bright days outside too, but for pretty much anything else it sucks. If I am archiving family events (most of which happen at night) I don't want blurry, grainy, or bizarrely colored flash pictures.

So, a $150 add on that will let me do/have these things would make it better than my standalone $250 camera that I carry around for pictures (and in some cases better than my DSLR):

Use my large iPhone screen to set up the picture and review it afterward.
Geotag my photos.
Save them right on to my phone for upload to Facebook or photo stream.
Email them to family members on the spot.
Save me the hassle of taking pictures on a memory card, transferring them to my computer and then back to my phone.
Print them right from my phone.
Real zoom (not digital zoom)
No separate battery to remember to charge.
Hopefully not as big as a whole additional camera (since most of the function is being handled by the phone) because filling both pockets with devices sucks.

If this thing means I can take reasonable flash photos at night, sign me up.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
This idea has been going around for years. It's not bad but must hit the following marks to be worth anyone's time and money:
1 open source API. Imagine dozens of free apps all utilizing the sensor and iPhone with different UIs. Kind of like all the camera apps in the App Store right now but with hardware to back them up.
2 high quality built in optics or removable lenses. No more crappy smartphone optics that sacrifice quality for thinness.
3 onboard storage, flash and battery. Since you're going to be adding a brick to a beautiful smartphone anyway, you might as well give it all the things that the smartphone skimped out on in order to stay thin and light.

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
That's something your average iPhone user wouldn't buy. How does that fit with a case on your iPhone for one thing? Unless it comes with it's own case.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple were rumoured to be working on their own camera last year. I suspect it will happen so or later, Apple will need to offer more than just their current line up of iOS and Mac line ups in future.

And bring about the second near death of the company?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.