Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
1) iPhones are PC Free now.
2) PCs never had PowerPC processors. Apple isn't discriminating based on planned obsolescence but on hardware requirements.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So with an iMac G5 there is zero way to get my music onto my iPhone5? Apple doesn't see anything wrong with that? That pisses me off to no end,
No the same reason why I cannot watch HD movies on my 10 year old TV. Technology changes and as a consumer if you wish not keep staying current its not the manufactorer to make sure they produce backward compatible products for the next 20 or 30 years.

When would you recommend apple drop PPC support? 10 years, 20 30 50?

Its true there are PPC Macs still being used but at some point apple needed to cut the cord. It would have been asinine if they did that a couple of years after the first intel Mac but they dropped PPC support in Snow Leopard.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It's the difference in chips. Apple aren't going to write software for anything other than intel chips. They make that very clear and have dropped all support for POWERPC with Lion.

I bet the 10+ year old PC wouldn't be usable while running iTunes with a library more than a few songs due to the RAM constraints.

The windows pc works and runs fine with half a GB of ram and syncs tons of songs, videos, apps with no probs.
you gotta admit its a business decision and not a hardware issue that cannot support the new iTunes on older macs.

WMuntean

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
What about setting up iTunesMatch? Set it up on your work computer, let it sync to the cloud, and then download your songs on your iDevices afterwards.

Regardless, that an older PC can sync with an iPhone is outright appalling. Period.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
The windows pc works and runs fine with half a GB of ram and syncs tons of songs, videos, apps with no probs.
you gotta admit its a business decision and not a hardware issue that cannot support the new iTunes on older macs.

It's harder architecture of the processor it can't run certain aspects of things to put it simply, PC's have had intel processors for a very long time it's not greed here its simply aged hardware hence why Intel based systems can run it, you guys are throwing around uneducated opinions here.
I work in the computer field it's what my major was.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It's harder architecture of the processor it can't run certain aspects of things to put it simply, PC's have had intel processors for a very long time it's not greed here its simply aged hardware hence why Intel based systems can run it, you guys are throwing around uneducated opinions here.
I work in the computer field it's what my major was.

Same here.
I work in the field too and just stating my opinion. The main reason is money.
A 15 year old pentium 4 pc I fixed last week had no probs running the latest iTunes and syncing an iPhone with no probs at all. Same with a 12 year old amd system a few weeks back with windows xp.
Whatever you said about harder architecture is bs that apple tries to feed people.
They just stopped support and want people to buy newer macs period.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
it's the difference in the way the processor handles data, period apple doesn't want to build a totally different iTunes or slow down the new one by adding code to make it compatible, if they stick with the same Intel architecture things won't become obsolete as quickly.

Bro, older and slower and worst cpu's run itunes fine in other operating systems.
Its not the CPU that cannot handle the itunes program.
Its just Apple that wont release an itunes version for those older mac computers. A 6 year old mac cannot run itunes and a 12 year old crappy PC with an older processor can.
Anyway, believe what you want but hope you dont really buy into it that its not possible to have itunes run on older G5 imacs;)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Exactly.
Its not that non-intell macs or older 6 year old macs cannot run the latest itunes or recognize the new iphone.
Its that Apple doesnt allow it for obvious reasons. $$$$$$
Its funny how my 15 year old windows XP computer installs the latest itunes and syncs and recognizes the iphone 5 fine but a newer mac doesnt.
Maybe in 3-4 years your now new mac wont get any more updates by apple so wont be able to recognize your then new iphone, ipad or ipod, apple tv and so on.
So in order to have the newer gadget and be able to use it you will have to keep buying new Apple computers.
Very shady IMO.

I hath been summoned by thy name!!!

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
That doesn't hold up. How would 40GB iPod owners have coped back in 2003?

Different versions of iTunes.

So arguments aside. Apple no longer supports the PPC architecture. So there is no way to use the latest version of iTunes to sync with your phone.

Seeing as you mentioned that these songs were purchased from the iTunes store have you tried logging into the iTunes store on your phone selecting the purchased tab and downloading your content that way?

If your music is ripped you'll have to use a new mac or PC to sync this music to your phone.

End of case.

Let us know if this works.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Bro, older and slower and worst cpu's run itunes fine in other operating systems.
Its not the CPU that cannot handle the itunes program.
Its just Apple that wont release an itunes version for those older mac computers. A 6 year old mac cannot run itunes and a 12 year old crappy PC with an older processor can.
Anyway, believe what you want but hope you dont really buy into it that its not possible to have itunes run on older G5 imacs;)

I'm not saying it isn't possible it is but it would slow things down and apple runs off of efficiency to make their products run well on lower spec machines. If apple continued to support older stuff for a small group of people it would slow down the process for the other 95% of people and I don't think most people want that

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'm not saying it isn't possible it is but it would slow things down and apple runs off of efficiency to make their products run well on lower spec machines. If apple continued to support older stuff for a small group of people it would slow down the process for the other 95% of people and I don't think most people want that

Yeah sure:D
That's what they want you to think.
If they allow the older macs to get the new itunes version it will not slow down anything at all for the rest of us on newer computers.
Its all about the benjamins bro;)

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
It's more likely that it can't support the drivers unless new ones are made, the reason older macs can't support newer software is because the BIOS can't support that architecture it's about difficulty of doing over profit/usability you can flash EEPROM but changing your BIOS is very difficult without messing up your computer

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
It's more likely that it can't support the drivers unless new ones are made, the reason older macs can't support newer software is because the BIOS can't support that architecture it's about difficulty of doing over profit/usability you can flash EEPROM but changing your BIOS is very difficult without messing up your computer

BIOS?

You really don't know what you're talking about!

Having a major in "the computer field" doesn't excuse the need to be able to actually justify your arguments.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
BIOS?

You really don't know what you're talking about!

Having a major in "the computer field" doesn't excuse the need to be able to actually justify your arguments.

Oh my bad I didn't realize older BIOS could support newer operating systems I guess that 32 bit system can just run twice to make 64

PC's processor and setups have been relatively the same for 10+ years making backwards compatibility easier.
Not discrediting the fact that some of it is based off of money a company doesn't want to lose money supporting something that isn't gaining them money in their eyes, you also can't discredit the fact that maybe they do it because the user experience is poor or it slows down the system significantly.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Lol:) the drivers are installed with the latest iTunes version.
The more you post the more it shows what you know. Actually what you don't know:D

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
Why don't you just install parallels then xp on the g5 and sync it that way ? you might even be able to share the iTunes folder across both systems if you relocate it to a shared area OP

Ps it will be slow but should work

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I bet the 10+ year old PC wouldn't be usable while running iTunes with a library more than a few songs due to the RAM constraints.

10 years ago we were running Windows XP that can utilize almost 4 GB of RAM. No problems running iTunes with large libraries, especally considering it would probably now be running Windows 7 (better).

1) iPhones are PC Free now.

But with limited functionality.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Why don't you just install parallels then xp on the g5 and sync it that way ? you might even be able to share the iTunes folder across both systems if you relocate it to a shared area OP

Ps it will be slow but should work

No it won't. However, he could grab a copy of virtual pc and try it that way. That way WILL be SLOW

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Exactly.
Its not that non-intell macs or older 6 year old macs cannot run the latest itunes or recognize the new iphone.
Its that Apple doesnt allow it for obvious reasons. $$$$$$
Its funny how my 15 year old windows XP computer installs the latest itunes and syncs and recognizes the iphone 5 fine but a newer mac doesnt.
Maybe in 3-4 years your now new mac wont get any more updates by apple so wont be able to recognize your then new iphone, ipad or ipod, apple tv and so on.
So in order to have the newer gadget and be able to use it you will have to keep buying new Apple computers.
Very shady IMO.

XP itself isn't even 15 years old. The simple fact is that you need to upgrade. This has nothing to do with apple wanting money. This is OP being a little too precious with his old hardware. It's going to get newer and as stated before, the specs were known. So it's his own fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.