Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themomopan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah...So I just recently bought a Red Scarlet, and I was wondering if iMacs are capable enough to edit R3D Files. Thanks!

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Yeah...So I just recently bought a Red Scarlet, and I was wondering if iMacs are capable enough to edit R3D Files. Thanks!

Don't know much about RED stuff, but if you do get it and it struggles, you can get a Sonnet Echo Express SE Thunderbolt PCIe Expansion Chassis and put a RED Rocket into it - http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpressse.html

At least...I think I saw a video with it...

Edit: Just searched RED Rocket. It's expensive :eek:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
You are using a Red Scarlet for video capture and are looking at an iMac :confused:

Something does not come into focus in this scenario for me.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Ideally for .r3d, you would have a top end 12 core Mac Pro or PC workstation with a RED Rocket card. If you have the money, there's no reason not to do that.

The iMac would be a second choice, and would probably handle small projects relatively well, though.

themomopan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Ideally for .r3d, you would have a top end 12 core Mac Pro or PC workstation with a RED Rocket card. If you have the money, there's no reason not to do that.

The iMac would be a second choice, and would probably handle small projects relatively well, though.

Hmmm. Should I wait for the new Mac Pro to come out then or get the old one???

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009

I think that it just depends if you can/feel like waiting or not. If you can wait, I would wait for the update, since the current models are a rather poor value. Of course, with Apple, you never know when it'll actually be released...

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky

I guess I should clarify a tad, if you are just wanting to edit, it will be fine. Do all your editing in proxies and reconnect full 4k to export. If you are doing motion graphics in 4k (After Effects, Nuke, C4D, Maya, Lightwave, etc.), I would say go buy a dell/hp 16 core workstation with a red rocket and an nvidia quaddro fx card.

I'm actually a little surprised you dropped 15k+ on a camera before researching what you need to use it ;P I guess I'm being a little stereotypical as most of my colleagues who own equipment are pretty huge geeks and sorta feel they go hand in hand.

Anyways, I just got done shooting a project with a scarlet last week! They are awesome awesome cameras, congrats!

themomopan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hahaha. Originally bought the camera to rent it out only, not to mention I was planning to get the iMac. Wasn't thinking much. Might call it an impulsive buy...maybe:) Thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.