Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

normalphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hi,
I'm buying from Ebay a sealed iphone 5 of verizon.

Do you know if should expect any problem activating it?
I don't need to verizon line, I want to use an at&t sim card as all verizon's iphone 5 are unlock.

Should i expect any problem in the itunes activation of the iphone 5?
(Dont need/want verizon to activate any line)

will I need something like the verizon sim card or it will activate with any sim card?

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
I got my Verizon iPhone 5 from best buy, and it came with a Verizon sim card although I don't have a contract or anything with Verizon..
With the iPhone 5 you don't need to connect to iTunes to activate, since mine had a sim card in it, as soon as I turned on it said activated and yes I believe you can activate with any sim card since it comes factory unlocked

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I got my Verizon iPhone 5 from best buy, and it came with a Verizon sim card although I don't have a contract or anything with Verizon..
With the iPhone 5 you don't need to connect to iTunes to activate, since mine had a sim card in it, as soon as I turned on it said activated and yes I believe you can activate with any sim card since it comes factory unlocked

I just purchased a no contract full priced Verizon iPhone 5 at Walmart last night, I went through the normal activation setup on the phone but it will not activate, it keeps constantly popping up the annoying message: 'iPhone not activated' I have no contract with Verizon and I don't want one at all, I simply want the iPhone to stop sending that alert message, and I want to use it as an iPod essentially until I decide if I want straight talk or not. Can anyone help please?

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
Have you tried making a full restore?

I just purchased a no contract full priced Verizon iPhone 5 at Walmart last night, I went through the normal activation setup on the phone but it will not activate, it keeps constantly popping up the annoying message: 'iPhone not activated' I have no contract with Verizon and I don't want one at all, I simply want the iPhone to stop sending that alert message, and I want to use it as an iPod essentially until I decide if I want straight talk or not. Can anyone help please?

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Have you tried making a full restore?
Yes multiple times, took the SIM card out and put it back in etc. it just keeps popping that message up. It is so annoying. I just want an iPhone with no service right now, until I decide to get Straight Talk.

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
I bought a full price iPhone 5 from ATT at best buy.
The phone is coming to my country in two days.
ATT accepted my unlock request and I told them that I dont have a line with them. When I asked them about the activation, they told me that I wont need to do that because the phone is unlocked. Can't wait to try it. I have been very worried about that... so why dont you call verizon and ask them to unlock? otherwise, go to walmart and ask them to help you.
Have you tried using another SIM? (a non verizon one)

Yes multiple times, took the SIM card out and put it back in etc. it just keeps popping that message up. It is so annoying. I just want an iPhone with no service right now, until I decide to get Straight Talk.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I bought a full price iPhone 5 from ATT at best buy.
The phone is coming to my country in two days.
ATT accepted my unlock request and I told them that I dont have a line with them. When I asked them about the activation, they told me that I wont need to do that because the phone is unlocked. Can't wait to try it. I have been very worried about that... so why dont you call verizon and ask them to unlock? otherwise, go to walmart and ask them to help you.
Have you tried using another SIM? (a non verizon one)
Yeah I called verizon but they said they couldn't do it or something to that affect. I'll have to try Walmart back today or I'll just trade it for an AT&T one, and do what you did because I know AT&T offers free unlocks. Thanks for the suggestions.

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
Keep us updated!
Good luck!

Yeah I called verizon but they said they couldn't do it or something to that affect. I'll have to try Walmart back today or I'll just trade it for an AT&T one, and do what you did because I know AT&T offers free unlocks. Thanks for the suggestions.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You need to put an active sim in there. When you do, the pop up will go away.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012

Try putting an active sim card from at&t or t-mobile or any other carrier and see if it works

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Try putting an active sim card from at&t or t-mobile or any other carrier and see if it works
I don't have any active sim currently, I don't want verizon service either, there is a verizon sim in the phone but I bought it full price without a contract. I simply want it to function with no service and no pop up until I get straight talk, if that is possible.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
I don't have any active sim currently, I don't want verizon service either, there is a verizon sim in the phone but I bought it full price without a contract. I simply want it to function with no service and no pop up until I get straight talk, if that is possible.

I got mine with no contract from verizon, and like you I don't want verizon service, but when I turned the iPhone on, it said activated!

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I got mine with no contract from verizon, and like you I don't want verizon service, but when I turned the iPhone on, it said activated!

Hmm, maybe there is a problem with mine or possibly the SIM that came in it. Or maybe they activated yours at the store? I bought mine at Walmart so they didn't do anything but hand it to me.

Last edited:

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Hmm, maybe there is a problem with mine or possibly the SIM that came in it. Or maybe they activated yours at the store? I bought mine at Walmart so they didn't do anything but hand it to me.

They just handed to me too, it came sealed and I opened when i got home

strangely it shows signal and 3G with the verizon sim although i don't have anything to do with verizon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.