Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I have preordered the case for MacBook Pro retina 15 back in July. They described that it will ship at the beginning of September. Now, it is almost at the end of November. They still have not shipped it out.
I no longer have the MacBook Pro retina as I returned it back to Apple. I have been trying to contact them many time back in September to cancel my order and refund 70US$ back to my account. They don't response. Call them up. No one pick up the phone call.
I contacted the PayPal to file a claim. But it is beyond 30 days of transaction. This company stole my money

I am unable to reach them at all. I might have to go small claim court and talk with BBB(Better Business Bureau)

Don't buy from them or preorder from them. Their customer service is real bad.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Sounds like a bad experience, for sure. But how will you take them to small claims court if you can't contact them? And is it worth it? How much did you lose on the case?

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Small claims / BBB won't get you anywhere. Contact your bank or credit card company depending on how you have PayPal set up.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Sounds like a bad experience, for sure. But how will you take them to small claims court if you can't contact them? And is it worth it? How much did you lose on the case?

It is like 70$ plus shipping. If they don't show up in the court, I automatically win and get the money. Not sure, there is any fee for that. But this is not right.

----------

Small claims / BBB won't get you anywhere. Contact your bank or credit card company depending on how you have PayPal set up.

I added my Bank of America's debit card to my Paypal account. Can you suggest in more detail? I bought it back in July. Not sure the back will follow that up for me.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I added my Bank of America's debit card to my Paypal account. Can you suggest in more detail? I bought it back in July. Not sure the back will follow that up for me.

You should follow up with BofA. You might be screwed because it was a debit though. You're way better off and have way more consumer protections if you use a credit card. I would never give paypal direct debit access to my money, one instance like this and they could wipe your entire account. That can't happen with a credit card.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
It is like 70$ plus shipping. If they don't show up in the court, I automatically win and get the money.

You're almost right. First off, you have to have a physical address for someone to serve them with court papers. If that doesn't happen, they're under no obligation to show up to court. Second, if you can manage to serve them with papers and they still don't show up, you do automatically win (by default), but you do NOT automatically get the money. Winning a judgment is one thing, collecting on it is another thing altogether.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
You're almost right. First off, you have to have a physical address for someone to serve them with court papers. If that doesn't happen, they're under no obligation to show up to court. Second, if you can manage to serve them with papers and they still don't show up, you do automatically win (by default), but you do NOT automatically get the money. Winning a judgment is one thing, collecting on it is another thing altogether.

What should I do? Let them take my money?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
What should I do? Let them take my money?

I'm saying that from the sounds of things, it doesn't sound like they have a philosophical disagreement with you over whether they owe you any money; it sounds like they have already taken your money and run.

Proving you're correct in this issue isn't your biggest obstacle; finding these people, and actually collecting on what they owe you, is.

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Is the $70 worth the time and hassle of running around filing suit going to court ect?

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
As a matter of principle, I would say yes.

A small claims court usually charge you a moderate fee to open and process your file. If you win, the other party has to pay for your fees also.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Call PayPal and tell them what is happening. It is against the terms of service for them to do pre-orders that don't arrive within 20 days. Give them the order number, a copy of the Facebook page where everyone else is complaining, and talk to as many supervisors until someone actually listens.

If it was money pulled out of your bank directly, you should talk to them about it too. Even if it's a debit card, it's still covered. I've talked to my bank many times about these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.