Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striker27

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
I have an old original iPad and would like to upgrade.. I use my iPad for mostly reading online magazineand news services with various Apps and the what not. I also sometimes but rarely browse the net with it. I have noticed lately that a few of my newspaper Apps have been crashing and was thinking it might just be time for an upgrade.

Only question is what iPad?? They have a multitude now Right now I have a 16gb and it is only half full so whatever I get I would like it to be somewhere around 16gb to 32gb.

Any advice on this dilemma?

THANKS

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I have an old original iPad and would like to upgrade.. I use my iPad for mostly reading online magazineand news services with various Apps and the what not. I also sometimes but rarely browse the net with it. I have noticed lately that a few of my newspaper Apps have been crashing and was thinking it might just be time for an upgrade.

Only question is what iPad?? They have a multitude now Right now I have a 16gb and it is only half full so whatever I get I would like it to be somewhere around 16gb to 32gb.

Any advice on this dilemma?

THANKS

I would recommend you think about what all you might want to install on it and if you are even remotely close to 16 get the 32 and so on. I had the same problem deciding between 32 and 64 but then got the price match from target that brought it down to within 60 of what I was gonna spend on the 32 so I said the heck with it and went 64. I have used 24.8 at the moment and I like to keep movies on it so I can see myself going over the 32, but it really comes down to your personal needs...

88Keys

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Despite the reduction in screen real estate, I think the iPad Mini sounds good for your needs. Plus you're coming from the first gen iPad so you haven't been "spoiled" by an iPad with a retina display yet. Ultimately only you can solve this "dilemma" but anyway there's my suggestion, good luck!

jmthigpen

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Charleston, SC
I would recommend the iPad 2 as well, iPad 3 if you can find one for cheap. People are selling iPads like crazy on Craigslist, I bet you could find a great deal.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
wanna upgrade from Ipad 1, i think Ipad 4 is a good go.

U probably will enjoy your device for many years so bettter get the best one there is. Forget the mini, you mainly READ on it so clear and big screen is the best option.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I I use my iPad for mostly reading online magazineand news services with various Apps and the what not.
This seems to indicate that the mini may be a good fit. I'd recommend going to an apple store and hold/using the mini, iPad 2 and iPad4 and you can get first hand knowledge in how they feel and work.

I use my mini mostly for reading, emails, surfing with some other apps and the mini handles that very well

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
If you're mainly reading magazines and such I'd suggest you get the 4. I love my mini but I think the magazines will likely display better on the bigger iPad. Also, spring for the 64 if you can afford it, if not then the 32. That should cover your needs for some time. The 4 has twice as much ram as the 2 and the mini. You might also want to consider a refurb 3.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
If you use it mostly for reading ... Retina screen, whether refurb 3 or a new 4, is so good for text.

I've been setting up a new 4 today, and next to this text on my ipad2 looks fuzzy.

striker27

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
I checked out the Best Buy today... I have to agree the New iPad is a bit heavier.... I did like the mini as well. I am going to try and look for an iPad3 it is a bit cheaper then the new one if not the new one is $499 SO I will get that. I also checked my memory as far as usage goes and I have around 6gb free on it so far...

Really not sure if I need to get the 32gb or not now....

Well thanks for the help. I can tell a lot of people here do like the retina display and I am getting that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.