Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

olloclip has released a new version of its 3-in-1 photo lens solution, which has been redesigned for the iPhone 5. The lens set comes in three different colors, red, black, and white, and features three lens types in a single accessory.

olloclip_iphone_5.jpg
The fisheye lens captures photos with a 180 degree field of view, while the wide-angle lens doubles the iPhone's normal field of view and the macro lens applies a 10x macro magnification.

olloclip's fisheye lens is also designed to work with Apple's new Panorama camera feature, which was introduced with iOS 6. With Panorama 360 Plus, the lens is able to capture a 360 degree image with both a wider and taller field of view than the standard iPhone 5 camera can produce.

As with the olloclip for the iPhone 4 and 4S, olloclip for the iPhone 5 snaps on to the upper right corner of the phone over the camera and allows for the quick changing of lenses.

Steven Sande of TUAW recently released a review of the olloclip for the iPhone 5.
I was impressed with the olloclip both for the quality and ease of use. If you're in the aftermarket for some creative lenses for your iPhone 5 (or the 4/4S), it's definitely worth buying one of these little gems.
The olloclip 3-in-1 lens system for the iPhone 5 costs $69.99 and is available for purchase from the olloclip website.

Article Link: Olloclip Releases 3-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 5

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't "olloclip" be spelt as "Olloclip" in this article, seeing as it's a company name? Especially in the beginning of the third paragraph, as the sentence otherwise doesn't start with a capital letter. They've done it in the title, but not throughout the article.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
I don't have any experience with these kinds of aftermarket lenses, but am interested; does the macro lens offer any focal length differences or just close-focusing?
I'd love a little lens for the iPhone that gives something equivalent to an 85mm lens on 35mm. Does such a thing exist?

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
no. the company uses the lower case "o" as a feature of the name. check the site.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I like it, as long as it snaps on and off. Easier to carry that than a camera!

Except... what I’d most want added to my iPhone 5 is telephoto.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
I don't have any experience with these kinds of aftermarket lenses, but am interested; does the macro lens offer any focal length differences or just close-focusing?
I'd love a little lens for the iPhone that gives something equivalent to an 85mm lens on 35mm. Does such a thing exist?

The macro lens is only for close-ups. It starts to get blurry about 3 or 4 inches out.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
I've had it for the iPhone 4S and really liked it. My only problem with it is that it tends to interfere with screen protectors forming bubbles at the corner you connect the lenses.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Looking at the example images on their site it appears they hardly do anything. The macro isn't much better than the standard camera can do. The wide-angle you're hard pressed to tell is even wide-angle. The fishbowl is just barely fish-bowled. You could do most all of this with a free app and not have to carry anything around with you.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
What's needed is an optical zoom. A wider angle is nice, but fish eye? Increased macro? That's the icing, not the cake.

HuggyLowDown

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
Northern Virginia
Got mine yesterday. My favorite accessory for the iPhone. Amazing at what it can do. Also had it for the 4S, this new one is built differently. They used an aluminum or some type of metal this time, much sturdier!

narr

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I took this with the one made for the 4/4S on my 5. Had to hold it just right but wanted to test the camera out in the 5.

And no, the regular focus won't let you get this close. The wide angle is nice for bigger shots, especially around this time of year with family. I don't use the fisheye much so I can't really comment on it.

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/cell-phone-lenses/

This also looks interesting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    818.3 KB · Views: 220

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Will this thing work with a case on your phone? Doesn’t everyone use a case?

----------

I took this with the one made for the 4/4S on my 5. Had to hold it just right but wanted to test the camera out in the 5.

And no, the regular focus won't let you get this close. The wide angle is nice for bigger shots, especially around this time of year with family. I don't use the fisheye much so I can't really comment on it.

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/cell-phone-lenses/

This also looks interesting.

Very cool picture.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I've been considering one of these for awhile now. I'm just not sure how useful it will be.
I've taken some darn nice photos with my 4S (considering it's a phone).

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
After seeing some of the photo and video examples posted, it really raised my interest in this. Small, easy to remove, price isn't insane.

I agree with the poster above, a nice zoom lens using the same sort of packaging would be outstanding. Seems like an obvious product too[?] Even is was as big as a pack of Lifesavers or so, it would still be highly portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.