Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
Because it is very popular. There are so many different android phones on the market today its really amazing what they have done.

I have an HTC Evo, which is an fabulous phone. FOR ME AND WHAT I WANT out of a phone, it is perfect, and suits me better than an iPhone. Ive had an iPhone before and i do miss it, and if and when i switch to verizon soon i will be getting one.

I frequently visit and post in android forums, and believe me, there are many many iPhone threads where people defend, bash, and compare our android to your iPhone. This is also a major forum, discussing the iPhone. Its just natural that people are going to come here too and defend, bash, and compare their iPhone to our androids.

Enjoy your phones, do your research, and enjoy the raping from the cell phone companies!!!

Ha, I call BS on that. You say that your Evo fits you better than the iPhone, yet in the same paragraph you state that you miss your iPhone and will be getting one in the future....

Haha, make up your mind.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.

It's because of constant backhanded comments like these on MacRumors that some people feel a need to step in to defend Android. The fact is both operating systems are incredible, and Android deserves serious credit for working on so many different devices. Some people don't understand the competition is good for us consumers, and probably haven't even tried Android before blindly dismissing it. Jelly Bean on my Nexus 4 is incredible, but there's features I miss from iOS. Why can't we all just get along? :p

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
As an ex Android fan boy who has recently moved to iphone5, I'd say let them defend all they want because what they say is probably exaggerated anyway. Some people just want to be in the "cool" group and it's hip now to bash Apple and praise Android. It's the nature of society to bring down the status quo and Apple is the biggest company is a fact. Android may have more market share collectively and Samsung sell more collectively but iPhone 4 4s and 5 are the best selling models out there. Let the haters hate all they want.

indiekicks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
I've noticed this as well. People talk about "elitist isheep" but I've found hardcore android enthusiasts to be very zealous and condescending when it comes to iphone users. It's pathetic, really. Go enjoy your phone and ****.

alancorp

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.

About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.

What an ignorant post. The high end android phones costs just as much as the 32GB iPhone 5 (Even 64Gb iPhone 5 if you add a 64GB sd Card). Most android fanboys that protect Android buy top of the line Android phones. I'm sure they can afford an iPhone.

The people who buy budget android phones could care less about Android vs IOS. Besides you can get an iPhone 4 for free and iPhone 4S for $99 so how is that not affordable?

Android is not insecure and full of malware and spyware. Of course if you root and sideload apps, you are opening yourself up but it's the same with iOS if you jailbreak. I'm not even going to get into Windows vs OSX.

Last edited:

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Again.. now i'm being called a troll just because I am trying to see why theirs so much defending of Android products on an iPhone forum.

I take no offense to the comment at all, just further proves my point.

Why should iPhone fans be forced to defend Android? Why be fake about it? Android simply can not compete with the iPhone. I find more Android users going back to iPhone then iPhone users going back to Android.

Maybe because of ignorant comments like this. It's funny how an OS leading in marketshare by a good margin, can't compete.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
@OP: I think the reason that people argue for one mobile phone over another is that they get their knickers in a twist trying to demonstrate how technologically oh-so-clever they are.

Yet in most cases their assertions are either adolescent twaddle ('such-and-such phone kicks such-and-such phone's a$$') or they are simply regurgitating the views they read somewhere by some biased 'expert' online. I think this is pretty much the same for some iPhone fans and some Android fans.

You know want to know why I prefer the iOS to Android? I used to say that it was because of how Google uses personal information. However, some people in this forum made an argument that it wasn't as bad as I thought, and, having read some more, I agree. So, hopefully at least some of the comments about the merits of one system over another are based on unbiased expertise of the people who post in forums like this. The problem is sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

FWIW - the main reason I don't like Android is that somehow the icons look amateurish to me (yuck) - it's as silly a basis for a preference as any you could mention. I also like the Apple ecosystem and some technical apps that are available only on iOS, but I just never have liked the look of Android. Probably never will....

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I've noticed this as well. People talk about "elitist isheep" but I've found hardcore android enthusiasts to be very zealous and condescending when it comes to iphone users. It's pathetic, really. Go enjoy your phone and ****.

Back in the stone age, the Druids probably had long arguments about whether a twin ring monolith-based stone circle could compete with a trilithon henge. Main progress is that back then, flaming someone was a bit more serious.

In the 80s when some of us were young, going into a store, finding the Commodore 64 and typing:

Code:
10 PRINT "Commodore is s***!  The BBC Model B is Better"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

...was the height of hilarity.

PC and Mac users have been ragging each other since 1984 (but then PCs were ****** until the late 90s).

Bottom line as I see it: Android is more versatile and customisable than iOS, gives you a far more diverse choice of devices (including cheap ones) but lacks the polish and consistency of iOS. Plus, whatever you think about the internal build quality of the hardware, there's only one Jony Ive, and other manufacturers just don't get the 'less can be more' concept.

iOS works seamlessly if you're happy to live within the iTunes/iCloud ecosystem, Android works pretty well if you're happy to live in Google's cloud instead, but trades seamlessness for diversity and compatibility.

Android makers went through a phase of producing me-too iDevice-look-alikes, but they've got over that (perhaps with some legal coercion) and are now offering interesting choices (e.g. Samsung's doing pen input and offering mini, regular, and phablet Galaxy devices).

The iPhone 5 is a fine phone, and it is innovative but the user payoff innovation isn't obvious. New display technology (which probably delayed the release) that merely shaves another mm off the thickness. The adaptive Lightning connector is jolly clever, but the practical upshot for the punter is that their docks and adapters are obsolete and the new adapters cost more than the old ones.

Yes folks, both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There are just as many iPhone fans defending their iphones on android forums as there are Android fans doing the same here. I frequent both apple forums (I have and use a 4S) and Android forums (I have and use a Nexus 10).

I find on most Android forums they put a stop to the Apple fans very quickly outside of the iOS sections though. I guess the same applies here....

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Back in the stone age, the Druids probably had long arguments about whether a twin ring monolith-based stone circle could compete with a trilithon henge. Main progress is that back then, flaming someone was a bit more serious.

In the 80s when some of us were young, going into a store, finding the Commodore 64 and typing:

Code:
10 PRINT "Commodore is s***!  The BBC Model B is Better"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

...was the height of hilarity.

Holy crap. You just brought back a bunch of memories! The Commodore 64 was awesome. Used to make side scrolling games with text code.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
There are just as many iPhone fans defending their iphones on android forums as there are Android fans doing the same here. I frequent both apple forums (I have and use a 4S) and Android forums (I have and use a Nexus 10).

I find on most Android forums they put a stop to the Apple fans very quickly outside of the iOS sections though. I guess the same applies here....

Go to AppleInsider and try to say anything negative about Apple. It will be censored and/or deleted within mnutes. there is a mod there named Talest Skil that is an utter tool. That used to be a great site and a place to get quality info. Now it reads like a propogandist site, completely spun to be as pro-Apple as possible. They also make up a lot of what they write by prefacing their articles with words like 'anticipated' or ''expected'. i.e. "The iPhone is expected to sell 1 billion phones this quarter." Total joke site now.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I think it is more of the iFans that's on the defensive than Android fans. Sometimes I feel sorry for iFans trying to argue against Android (it is like they are charging up the hill where the other side has the higher ground)

Fact is Android has a much higher capability/functionality count (incl. multi-task, intents, connectivity/data tranfer options, OS options or apps and UI options) than iOS. Suffice to say that Android can do much more compared to iOS from a technical standpoint. Android fans just need to throw out these points and it will be very difficult for iFans to counter. The only thing left that iFans can do is to debate using their own PERSONAL preferences and point of views. So it is often quite frustrating (for both sides) when you are debating from a different perspective.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Go to AppleInsider and try to say anything negative about Apple. It will be censored and/or deleted within mnutes. there is a mod there named Talest Skil that is an utter tool. That used to be a great site and a place to get quality info. Now it reads like a propogandist site, completely spun to be as pro-Apple as possible. They also make up a lot of what they write by prefacing their articles with words like 'anticipated' or ''expected'. i.e. "The iPhone is expected to sell 1 billion phones this quarter." Total joke site now.

Lol! Your post made me register on the AI forums just to quote this guy bashing the Note 2 and Android and list counter arguments ... oh the internet.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think it is more of the iFans that's on the defensive than Android fans. Sometimes I feel sorry for iFans trying to argue against Android (it is like they are charging up the hill where the other side has the higher ground)

Fact is Android has a much higher capability/functionality count (incl. multi-task, intents, connectivity/data tranfer options, OS options or apps and UI options) than iOS. Suffice to say that Android can do much more compared to iOS from a technical standpoint. Android fans just need to throw out these points and it will be very difficult for iFans to counter. The only thing left that iFans can do is to debate using their own PERSONAL preferences and point of views. So it is often quite frustrating (for both sides) when you are debating from a different perspective.

Nailed it.

I've said a bunch of times, in the past year, it's become harder and harder to defend iOS. The list of so called advantages have grown short and narrow with, as you said, very specific personal preferences.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

BUT... Those personal preferences/requirements can be just as important as tech specs and function counts. If someone doesn't need NFC or lean heavily on Google services, those things aren't really advantages from a personal perspective (even if they are unique vs. iOS). Far too often, Android fans put features and specs above real world usability (not to imply Android isn't usable in the real world) and can't understand why someone would choose iOS simplicity and functionality over Android's feature list and infinite customization. iOS doesn't make you a simpleton any more than Android makes you a geeky basement dweller.

A lot of these arguments would end before they start if more people could just accept that one OS is not indisputably "better" than the other. Maybe one is better for YOU, and the other is better for someone else. The best phone for anyone is the device that suits one's needs the best. We don't have to defend our OS choices to the death, folks. It's just a phone.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I have had both iOS and Android devices & have primarily chosen iOS. There is no doubt that Android has its merits. It's understandable why some people prefer iOS and others Android.

I also feel like there is somehow stronger anti-iOS & anti-Apple sentiment. It's as if Apple did something bad to Android users. Ok, there were lawsuits but that's calmed down and it has not affected Android users. It's obvious that there was quite a lot of copying Apple's ideas but recently that's been a two-way street.

I have this kind of negative sentiment toward Microsoft & MS Windows after years of frustration with crapware and at times in my career being forced to use Windows at work. Also Microsoft's practices have stifled progress with products like IE.

But no one is forced to use Apple products afaik. Apple keeps pushing technology to the next level rather than stifling progress. The competition between Android and iOS is healthy for users. I'm glad there's both. We're also *NIX cousins.

I think we should all join hands and go back to hating Microsoft ;-)

Last edited:

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK

Agreed. I still go there just for the entertainment value but its amazing how ignorant some of the posters on there are. As for Tallest Skil, he's the only forum moderator I know of on any forums that is allowed to personally attack other posters and blatantly lies to refute arguments (and then refuses to accept he lied in the face of insurmountable evidence). Again, I just read his posts for pure comedic and entertainment purposes. And as for his ready made list of retorts against anyone that dare disagree with him, its a bit like debating with a three year old.

I think MR is one of the more balanced forums when it comes to the Apple/Android debate (especially since the introduction of this iOS Alternatives section). Yes, there are extremists on both sides, but the vast majority are open to an honest debate without resorting to name calling and stereotyping. Unlike AI where a balanced view from most of the regulars just isn't going to happen.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Holy crap. You just brought back a bunch of memories! The Commodore 64 was awesome. Used to make side scrolling games with text code.

I collected data for my PhD on the C64 (the game ports were tailored made to collect analog and digital inputs in real time). Great little machine....

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Ha, I call BS on that. You say that your Evo fits you better than the iPhone, yet in the same paragraph you state that you miss your iPhone and will be getting one in the future....

Haha, make up your mind.
You do know it's possible to like different aspects of two opposing things, right? I'm not a fan of iOS in the slightest, and I love my Palm Pixi with webOS. But I do miss my iPhone simply for the sheer number of the apps on the platform.

Go to AppleInsider and try to say anything negative about Apple. It will be censored and/or deleted within mnutes. there is a mod there named Talest Skil that is an utter tool.
That guy used to hang around here a couple years back... and there's reasons he's no longer around. :p

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
As for Tallest Skil, he's the only forum moderator I know of on any forums that is allowed to personally attack other posters and blatantly lies to refute arguments (and then refuses to accept he lied in the face of insurmountable evidence). Again, I just read his posts for pure comedic and entertainment purposes. And as for his ready made list of retorts against anyone that dare disagree with him, its a bit like debating with a three year old.

Well, considering he was banned from MR, not terribly surprising.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.

So expensive that it can be obtained for the insanely high price of $49.99! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I think these guys are just tired of iOS and want something new, to be honest out the box iOS is just way superior.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think these guys are just tired of iOS and want something new, to be honest out the box iOS is just way superior.

Patently false.

Unless by superior, you mean slightly easier to use. And even that is debatable. It's not that hard to figure out smartphones these days. To get to some of the more indepth features of Android, sure, there are learning curves.

----------

I think these guys are just tired of iOS and want something new.

True, to some degree. But you make it sound as if people are switching to Android just for the sake of something different.

It's that, but I think people are switching mainly because it does more things, and does more things better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.