Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
As stated earlier in this discussion the same things that you call strengths some people call weaknesses. As for smoothness, what you seem to be failing to realize is that ANDROID IS NOT A PHONE, ANDROID IS AN OS that is on different phones. Every android phone does not lag, and every android phone is not smooth. I gave you an example of a phone that definitely gives the iphone 4 a run for it's money in the Nexus S. If you want to make a comparison don't compare a phone to an OS, compare a phone to a phone. We were having a discussion earlier where you we were talking weakness and strengths, but didn't get any further responses lol. But yeah believe it or not, there are phones that are on par or beyond the iPhone 4. What you have to understand is the iphone wasn't designed to be a world beater. It was designed to be a phone with general smartphone features and a simplified interface that wouldn't take much savvy to operate. For what it was designed to do, it does well (hence the smoothness, it only really does one function at a time..so it should be smooth), however it is not the end all be all of phones..nor was it designed to be.

If someone calls the things I call strengths as weaknesses than they are probably biased.

If someone has less of a capacity to appreciate the merits of something, it does not make them equal to me.

If someone doesn't see the genius in something it doesn't mean its less genius.

Not everyone is equipped or has enough marketing perspective to be a reviewer. You can share your opinions, but they are hardly well rounded, developed, and mass-appealing.

It was designed to be a world beater because it invented a whole new paradigm, and even its imitators, though they have a working example of perfection (as far as response and behavior) they still cant, after 5 years, isolate exactly what consumers love about the product and reproduce it.

If and when they do, I will let you know.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I agree with the concept, just the wording that's a bit of an issue. I view people who are very passionate about a product as enthusiasts, such as myself. They are eager to have intelligent conversations without the insults and name calling that are part and parcel of every fanboys negative attitude and eagerness to attack.

In my postings I never call people names or assault their favorite device. There is no perfect phone and that's the good news. If there were it would be awfully boring.

It's their outlandish claims, usually made from a position of ignorance (or outright desire to insult), not first hand knowledge and experience that sets them apart from true enthusiasts that appreciate the different devices with there own set of pros and cons.

+1

I consider myself an Apple enthusiast - I like some of their products very much (iPhone, Mac Pro, iPod), others not so much (iMac, MBP with glossy screens, etc), and I've become really irritated with their mantra of "Look how thin and beautiful it is...magical!"

Sure they make nice-looking products, but it's very telling that they're catering more towards the "form over function" people - "Well no, it's NOT very ergonomic...but look how gorgeous it is!"

I, for one, like the competition that Android and Windows provide - look how big of an improvement we're getting in iOS 5 with the notification system, thanks to Android.

By the same token, thanks to OS X, Windows finally has a very useable (probably Spotlight-inspired) search bar, where you can actually search for things very easily...something you really couldn't do until Vista came out.

I still hope for the day when Microsoft will take the ultimate step for its users and switch to a kernel with true UNIX underpinnings. That may be the only way to significantly reduce the occurance of viruses and malware (see OS X as a perfect example.)

I love OS X, but I love the advancement of technology more.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
If someone calls the things I call strengths as weaknesses than they are probably biased.

If someone has less of a capacity to appreciate the merits of something, it does not make them equal to me.

Not everyone is equipped or has enough marketing perspective to be a reviewer. You can share your opinions, but they are hardly well rounded, developed, and mass-appealing.

It was designed to be a world beater because it invented a whole new paradigm, and even its imitators, though they have a working example of perfection (as far as response and behavior) they still cant, after 5 years, isolate exactly what consumers love about the product and reproduce it.

+1
LOL I love the part in red. Real slick comeback!:D:D

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Well thats why I had said youre charging your battery. lol lol lol

you gotta be more careful before you dig yourself into a trap. ;)

Lol I dont even have to do anything against these people, I just give them rope and let them hang themselves.. then just Kick the chair from underneath them... wow.

Is this your way of saying that he's right, your iPhone cant do those things so you'll go on attack mode and say it wears down the battery?

Sure looks like it :rolleyes: I see no victory for you here at all mainly because you dont know what your talking about on this matter.

I also think its appropriate you used XB360 to my PS3 because its indicative of the subtle differences. PS3 has the best exclusive games with better graphics than 360 (not on titles that are multi-platform but the exclusives at least :) ) it has the better build quality (no 60% chance of Red Ring) and it also has better hardware that plays bluray etc.

Just because YOU like something better does not make it fact that it is better. Glad you like your P23. There is no red ring problem anymore on the XB 360 and the PS3 is more expensive......and imo its ok but it isnt as good and i have no need to have both.

That said...who really cares? Why does it bother you so much that people like different things than what you have or use?

Finally, Riptide is more comparable to the Real Racings and the Need for Speeds and kart games that all trump that little turd-gem. I said Infinity Blade. Riptide is not quite as revolutionary is it?

I dont play games on my phone so for me, this is a non issue. Didnt on my iPhone either. However, im sure i could find some games that would be just fine. I did try out Gangstar which is an HD game by Gameloft or something like that that is a Grand theft auto clone . Got it free. Looked grat but i dont play those things much so i deleted it after giving it a go. Point is, if you want them, you can get them and you dont have to wait for it to be in iTunes like you do.

How many years or months did it take them, to get Angry Birds? Cut the rope JUST came out?! I beat that game like a year ago.

Everybody knows the iPhone has a two year head start on all this stuff so you saying stuff like this is just a weak argument on your part. Two year head start and Android is already passing Apple up. Weak sauce.

And how will this bode for the future? How long will everything be 2nd rate? 2nd Place?

When Steve decides to let you have what you have been asking for, for some time now. But dont hold your breath. It only took two years to get MMS and copy and paste. It might come around and maybe a couple more years you will get Swype...or not.

Last edited:

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011

Actually what I posted was quite detailed (moreso than the vague generalities you posted). You attempted to counter (unsuccessfully might I add), then was countered back with yet another very detailed response, and to that you had nothing to say. You have a very pretentious tone about you, and your level of arrogance is nauseating at best. You are so intent on only seeing things one way, that when someone actually brought legitimate points to you, you instead chose to stick your head and the sand and pretend it's not there and continue to spew your ridiculous bias to others.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
As these discussions happen keep in mind that all these comparisons are apples to apples comparisons that allows the merits of each OS to have a fair vs competition.

Dont ever forget that there is a lot more that makes the iPhone the #1 consumer choice.

If we are comparing from the perspective of the consumer, the iPhone packs on way more pros if we take it to the macro level.

These comparisons are just exhibition matches.

It takes way more than winning any 1 category, to topple this eco-system. But thats the sad thing, even with other aspects handicapped on the Apple side by not taking into account the elements, Android cant even reach even ground on that pretend level because it cant overcome that brick wall in its way called "smoothness"

There is nothing on earth that compares to the Apple eco-system and these discussions are just for the sake of semantics, thats why when you guys try to use phrases that imply we are on equal footing and that we are being biased for thinking we are better, our reaction can only be that you are misrepresenting the reality of the way things are in 2011.

When the facts change, I will be glad to update my attitude accordingly but until then:

iPhone 4 > all.

LMAO....Keep trying. :D

[/COLOR][/I]

+1
LOL I love the part in red. Real slick comeback!:D:D

Its really too bad that Bobby and most of you dont know that Apple Did Not make the first touch screen phone but continue to claim they started it all and everyone followed them. I really hate to say things against the iPhone and Apple. I think their stuff is good...way over priced but good but some of you are just un-informed.

Last edited:

al1cre

macrumors member
May 31, 2008

Wow, you're really full of yourself to make yourself THE judge of what's biased and declare that what you see as strengths are the TRUE strengths.

Flipped around, if you don't see the true genius of Android, does that make it less genius? If you don't see the strengths it means you're as biased as anyone else. If you can't see that then it's not possible to have a rational conversation with you.

It's just a phone/gadget. It has little rectangles with pictures on them that represent apps. Touch one, it runs the app. It has fewer options than other phones so it's easier to use. Everyone has their own line as to what's the right mix of options/ease of use. You aren't the universal judge of such things.

I don't understand why some have this insistence on stating best as an absolute. It's not. Why not just say the iPhone is a great phone? Why do some people add "Android sucks," or "Anyone that doesn't think the way I do is biased!" Don't you realize how absurd that sounds?

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007
If you notice in this thread it's the same usual suspects too.

Its obvious what their hidden agenda is.

Undercover Apple haters.

Some guy with a 3GS just tried to say someone didn't know first hand whatever they were talking about when he has 2 year old tech. Sure if you got the old screen and slower phone you think Android has caught up. Haha.

Man these threads are so indicative of jealousy.

People can't handle that everything is not equal. In life and in phones.

Ugly people always try to say looks don't matter and good looking people just ignore them.

If people honestly think nobody is better or superior than anyone else than they are living in a very sad, very fake, very insecure reality.

You guys are racing around the track and iPhone is already at the finish line.

:rolleyes: lol - i haven't been on here a while but the WUMing in this post was worth it for the laughter! Wish I could get a dual OS phone (vs dual SIM) myself - like a real PC not a lcoked down mac :D - still love my ipod touch though !

Last edited:

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
iPhone fans should be more united like the Android fans.

Your thoughts?

My thought:
I don't care. I don't have the feeling to join the group of iPhone owners. Of course, I do have an iPhone. But I don't have the feeling to protect the piece of technology I own. I am happy with it as it is and no dissonance feelings will interrupt me. from feeling so. :)

If somebody needs to defend his/her decision of purchasing an iPhone or an Android, please do so. I don't.

Cheers

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
And remember, the last two iPhones had a plastic back that many were complaining about getting stress cracks so please stop with the elegant comments. It looked nice but it was plastic too!!! The first one (the best built one imo) had aluminum and was very slippery. I had to get a case on that one pronto!

I will not trust Apple with plastic anymore. It's not just their previous phones that the plastic cracks from stress. They're macbooks do too (Every single person I knew with one had issues with cracks on the palm rests and when I read elsewhere too I looked and sure enough, there was a crack coming from an airvent in back).

Which is why I like my glass phone. WIth a case on it seems to withstand drops and i have more chance of it making it to 2 years without getting a crack on it as long as I care for it than I did with their plastic phone cause even if you cared for it for whatever reason Apple + plastic = cracks (I don't know if it is their designs put stress on points on the plastic or if they use crappy plastic).

Granted I suppose it would also be fixed by going Android but honestly, I like my iphone *shrug*. I don't care that Android has bigger screens (don't want a bigger screen honestly) or faster processors (unless the games move over to Android cause of better processors) or more customization. Those things aren't important enough for me to want to risk getting a phone I dont know if I will like over a phone I do know I like. Apple would probably have to mess something up majorly to get me to switch (biggest thing that could convince me is if htey lose developer support so that there aren't many apps made for it anymore and some other phone gets all the developer attention).

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Granted I suppose it would also be fixed by going Android but honestly, I like my iphone *shrug*. I don't care that Android has bigger screens (don't want a bigger screen honestly)

I'd like a bigger screen, but without physically making the phone any larger.

Seems they might be headed that direction if rumors come true about them getting rid of the home button and making it gesture-only (also avoids the problem of the home button getting worn out.) Maybe we could get a bit extra screen real estate that way...

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly,it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate crap it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through the comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine,what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.

Anything is possible when you cut and paste.

I'm on a computer

hahaha i hope i'm not the only one that gets this...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Lol I saved that picture by the way its amazingly hilarious.

You know what else is amazingly hilarious?
You're defending iOS on an Apple forum and you think you are right ... while everyone else and your post ratings clearly disagree.

No one likes fanboys. Even if you are defending a brand on it's own forum.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
You know what else is amazingly hilarious?
You're defending iOS on an Apple forum and you think you are right ... while everyone else and your post ratings clearly disagree.

No one likes fanboys. Even if you are defending a brand on it's own forum.

He is getting negative post feedback because he is full of himself and acts like a dumbass.:D

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
He is getting negative post feedback because he is full of himself and acts like a dumbass.:D

*not because I'm wrong

And I'm not a fanboy ppl know that. Ive never waited in a product release line in my life. It's just a last resort tactic to call me that to avoid the actual debate topics.

Last edited:

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
I'd like a bigger screen, but without physically making the phone any larger.

Seems they might be headed that direction if rumors come true about them getting rid of the home button and making it gesture-only (also avoids the problem of the home button getting worn out.) Maybe we could get a bit extra screen real estate that way...

They can easily make the screen larger without increasing the size of the phone any significant amount. For one, the home button could be made much smaller (compare it to the size of the capacitive buttons on other phones and it is HUGE). Second the iPhone 4 wastes a lot of space on the bezel. Look at the HTC Sensation, that phone has a 4.3" screen and the phone size is barely larger than the iPhone 4....and that's almost a full inch larger screen. That being said, they should be able to fit a 4" screen in there without having to increase the phone size much at all.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
*not because I'm wrong

And I'm not a fanboy ppl know that. Ive never waited in a product release line in my life. It's just a last resort tactic to call me that to avoid the actual debate topics.

waiting in line is not what what determines if you are a fanboy or not.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
They can easily make the screen larger without increasing the size of the phone any significant amount. For one, the home button could be made much smaller (compare it to the size of the capacitive buttons on other phones and it is HUGE). Second the iPhone 4 wastes a lot of space on the bezel. Look at the HTC Sensation, that phone has a 4.3" screen and the phone size is barely larger than the iPhone 4....and that's almost a full inch larger screen. That being said, they should be able to fit a 4" screen in there without having to increase the phone size much at all.

You dont know that. If the screen is bigger, im sure the battery would have to be bigger. The screen takes the most amount of power. Its easy to say they can increase the screen and they have room to do it but you have no idea how the phone is made and what room they need to make that happen. Im sure if they make the screen bigger, the whole phone will have to be a little bigger and thats ok.

My Vibrant is bigger than the iPhone and i can still use one hand to work it and i dont have the biggest hands.

waiting in line is not what what determines if you are a fanboy or not.

True that. Obviously Bobby is still confused.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
*not because I'm wrong

I have read a bunch of your posts, and I would say that if you were to lookup "Apple Fanboy" on wikipedia, your picture would be on there.

Apples stock has made me a lot of money, so if anything I should be a huge fanboy.

I do love Apple products, but would not put myself in the Fanboy class.
Are Apple products perfect? No
Do they suite my needs better than anything else I've tried? Yes
Did my profits from my Apple stock buy every Apple product I own? Hell Yeah they did! :D

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
You dont know that. If the screen is bigger, im sure the battery would have to be bigger. The screen takes the most amount of power. Its easy to say they can increase the screen and they have room to do it but you have no idea how the phone is made and what room they need to make that happen. Im sure if they make the screen bigger, the whole phone will have to be a little bigger and thats ok.

My Vibrant is bigger than the iPhone and i can still use one hand to work it and i dont have the biggest hands.

True that. Obviously Bobby is still confused.

My sentence said "They can easily make the screen larger without increasing the size of the phone ANY SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT". I never said they wouldn't have to increase the size. What I said was the size increase would not have to be significant. I used the HTC Sensation as an example because it is a phone who's screen is .8 inches larger but yet the phone itself is only slightly larger than the iphone 4.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I have read a bunch of your posts, and I would say that if you were to lookup "Apple Fanboy" on wikipedia, your picture would be on there.

Apples stock has made me a lot of money, so if anything I should be a huge fanboy.

I do love Apple products, but would not put myself in the Fanboy class.
Are Apple products perfect? No
Do they suite my needs better than anything else I've tried? Yes
Did my profits from my Apple stock buy every Apple product I own? Hell Yeah they did! :D

Me too me too I'm not a fanboy, I'm just a guy who appreciates nice things

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Well said. I do like Android hardware in some aspects. However things like this is are a problem:
Just How Many Android Tablet Apps Are There?

Too much mystery in the Android world.

1: What apps run on which devices
2: Which devices run which OS
3: Which devices will get the latest OS updates
4: Which devices will not get the latest updates
5: Which carrier's are slow with OS updates
6: Which carrier's over-layed their own interface, and what the ramifications are.
7: Which apps are Honeycomb optimized

When you buy an Android device, you know what you have in your hand at the moment, but you are not always sure what you will have in the future. Even Google recognizes this, a quick search yields these results:
Google to tighten control on Android
If updates really are a concern, get a Nexus. I use both a ZTE Blade and Nexus S and application compbatibility is fantastic considering the bump in specifications between both devices. This is my genuine experience on the platformwhich I find impressive myself.

When it comes to honeycomb apps, the vast majority of them work at the Xoom's native resolution for me (only those with 2d assets are generally upscaled). As the OS is designed for multiple resolutions, things do scale well.

Games like Raging Thunder which is a phone game is able to render at the native Res, unlike phone games on the iPad which are pixel doubled and all native Android UI elements are availiable to the non-honeycomb optimised apps (no upscaled, stretched iPhone keyboard assets like using an iPhone app on the iPad.)

The question on how many Honeycomb apps can either be answered as apps designed for the specific API level, or apps designed for older api's which work fine on larger screens.

mrmacosx

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Bobby Corwen said:
mrmacosx said:
So playing video games is all you can do on the iPhone?

Hanging yourself ftw. (and "...wow.")

As the poster above me said, the screen accounts for the majority of power usage. That said, even if widgets did use more juice I wouldn't mind- information at a glance over a sea of icons any day. Let me also say here that you would have to launch an app to get the same amount of info I can get from my widgets, which I bet uses up more power than all my widgets do combined.

By the way, Infinity Blade is quite a repetitive game. If you want to talk about good games with great graphics, perhaps Dungeon Defenders is a better comparison, which is available on both iOS and Android. Looks far better on my GSII than my iPhone imo simply due to the larger screen and more vibrant colors.

Oh and normally I'm a PS3 fanboy but your post was nothing short of weird.

What was weird about the PS3 analogy? God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, there is no equivalent critically or graphically on 360. All of those titles have graphics that are a notch above because they take advantage of the superior hardware. Everybody knows the XB360 was notorious for breaking and laser burning disks and it was like a critical problem for years to the point where low key there should have been a recall because of the horrible way they designed their hardware and the way the placed the drive to make it prone to laser burn disks. On the other hand, I still have my original 60GB PS3 working flawlessly.

So I dont see what was weird. Sony is to Apple what Microsoft is to Android.

So yes, all you can do on an iPhone is play games, with your fingers covering up half the screen to use the virtual D-pad and buttons.

Okay then. What you're saying is, iOS is useless for anyone over 14. (&imo it isn't, but what you're saying certainly implies this)

"Oh hi iPhone, I'm checking out Flash web pages, Swyping text into a Word document and navigating for free with live traffic and street view. What are you doing? (playing video games and playing video games lol)"

wordoflife said:
Wow, Bobby is so incredibly wrong.
You're like a superiphonefanboyextremist.

I like iOS a lot ... but you're just wrong. Wow.

This thread kind of reminds me of this picture
Not going to show the image because I'll probably get banned :rolleyes:

He seems to think that his opinion is a fact lol.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.