Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leonw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
at home
Coming from ipad 1, I'm considering the mini. The display won't be a big deal for me, not used to retina. I'm more bothered by the 512mb RAM. My ipad1 with only 256mb is crashing quite a lot lately,Opening apps take more and more time, not to mention the constant reloading of safari tabs. I won't use the mini for gaming but some iMovie editing might be to heavy on the RAM maybe as well? And how is the reloading of tabs in Safari on the mini and opening of apps?
Now that the mini is out for some time, how are your experiences?
Thanks

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
My ipad mini reloads safari tabs quite a bit sometimes, depending on the amount of apps opened.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I love my iPad mini and glad I switched from the IPad 2, I think you'll enjoy it as well.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Since no one is answering directly. I have an iPad 2, with the older CPU, and its fine. It doesn't crash but the tabs reload sometimes. In real world usage it's been fine.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Well I haven't had any tabs reload on me yet using Mercury browser. That was one of the things I was most concerned about coming from an ipad 3. I have 5 tabs open ATM and none of them are refreshing when I switch tabs. That doesn't directly answer the tab thing in Safari, and perhaps 5 tabs aren't enough for someone who multitask a lot but it works for me. Apple needs to address the font size to get me to go back to Safari.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Well I haven't had any tabs reload on me yet using Mercury browser. That was one of the things I was most concerned about coming from an ipad 3. I have 5 tabs open ATM and none of them are refreshing when I switch tabs. That doesn't directly answer the tab thing in Safari, and perhaps 5 tabs aren't enough for someone who multitask a lot but it works for me. Apple needs to address the font size to get me to go back to Safari.

I agree with the font thing 100%. I am using mercury browser right now

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I have Safari with eight tabs, and none are reloading when I switch between them.

This is with seven apps open including Line2, Mail, and Pandora playing in the background.

I'm not saying Safari never reloads tabs. Just that I've never had it be problem.

leonw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
at home
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the reloading of tabs isn't a big issue at least. Wondered how apps heavy on RAM, like iMovie f.e., behave: crashing, slow??
About the font size in Safari: there is a bookmarklet that allows you to change fontsize. Works great. Found it in some thread on this forum. Can't remember which one but here is the link to the bookmarklet:

http://marcos.kirsch.com.mx/2012/04/29/font-size-bookmarklets/

tsd71

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Coming from ipad 1, I'm considering the mini. The display won't be a big deal for me, not used to retina. I'm more bothered by the 512mb RAM. My ipad1 with only 256mb is crashing quite a lot lately,Opening apps take more and more time, not to mention the constant reloading of safari tabs. I won't use the mini for gaming but some iMovie editing might be to heavy on the RAM maybe as well? And how is the reloading of tabs in Safari on the mini and opening of apps?
Now that the mini is out for some time, how are your experiences?
Thanks

I also came from iPad1 and have absolutely no problem with the 512, I play graphic intensive games without a hitch, I love my mini so much I just bought one for the wife for Christmas...You will love it

yourmother

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Japan
I came from an ipad 1 too. My mini feels worlds better with the extra ram. Sure i wish i had more but with the first ipad i couldnt have 2 tabs open and switch to a different app and then switch back without the tabs reloading. Sure i always want more ram but i think this is great.

j.benj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Hasn't been an issue for me on my mini at all. I've noticed Safari reloads tabs sometimes but that about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.