Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
I'm extremely glad they didn't make the iPhone 5 any bigger, I want a phone I can slip easily into a jeans pocket and operate with one hand, not a mini tablet!

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
"Very rare." A little exaggerated, don't you think? Anyone older than 26 y.o. uses it with one hand.

new-apple-iphonejpg-282f2c28f9ce5838_large.jpg

BrokeTechLover

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
For me the 3.5" screen is perfect. I hate big phones & think I'd look stupid carrying a 4"+ phone around. If apple continued to make screen sizes bigger,I may never get a phone newer than the 4S :(

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
It's a slippery slope. Options are cool however do we want to see apple turn into Samsung where they have 7 or 8 different versions of the galaxy

If anyone remembers one of the things that Hurt apple was actually extending their product line to the point where it was confusing

Which was on in the list of many things that nearly killed apple

As iPhone gets thinner 4.5" will be perfect.
iPad 7.9" and iPad 9.7" should disappear for 8.9".

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
I'd enjoy a bigger screen. We shouldn't venture into 5" territory, thats why they made the iPad mini. The 4" was GREAT as an upgrade. I was skeptical at first because it was only .5 and inch but really it was great. However, by failing to expand the width a little bit, typing is a bit difficult. In landscape mode, I get about half and inch of height of text after top borders and bottom keyboard. I'd also really love to see a suggestion bar on top of the keyboard and that would require more space.

Anyway, don't change the height of the phone, it's perfect. Widen it a little bit for more usable functions. Maybe thin out bezels to keep the 16:9 ratio though.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I love my 4" screen. Why do I need a bigger screen? Isn't that what my MBP or iPad is for?

Also do really really need this many threads about the same subject? If you like android and want to bash the iPhone then go to the android forums. They like to do that to make them feel better about themselves.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Larger screen may be advantagious for some things but NOT for others. Its truly a case of personal preference.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I personally think another 0.3" wouldn't hurt one handed usability and would improve usability for all other functions. To be honest, I don't even think the Note 2 is too big. I'd definitely pick up an iPhone of that size.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
As I've said before, I think the Galaxy Note 2 can be bigger. It's normal size for me now and iPhones look like cheap kids toys to me now. I have no doubt that the next Galaxy Note will have a larger screen.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I know the big selling point of the 3.5/4" screen is one-handed use but with Siri and the fact that I dont text-and-drive then I dont find many situations in which I MUST type with one hand. So the iPad Mini has convinced me that a bigger iPhone would work out fine. (Just as long as they keep the smaller ones for those who want it)

Or get a dumb phone and carry around your iPad mini?

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I surfed the web just fine on my 4 and even better on my 5, I like the size of the 5 as it has more screen but is also portable and fits in your pocket an option for a larger phone would be nice though because some people may like that, I feel like that could only increase their sales.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I know i'm in the minority but i have seen someone else mention it on here, but i have switched from android to iphone because i wanted a high end phone that wasnt the size of the s3 or note.

The o/s is less of an issue than it was; the portability of my phone is personally more important than how quick i can type on it.

But that's just me...

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Browsing MacRumors makes it seem like such a huge percentage of iPhone owners want a bigger screen, while that's simply not true... they're just ALL on this forum. If you took a poll of all iPhone users in the country or the world, you'd find that the vast majority do not support a screen increase.

I have never, literally never, met somebody outside of this website who wants a larger screen on the iPhone. And most of my friends have iPhones.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
As I've said before, I think the Galaxy Note 2 can be bigger. It's normal size for me now and iPhones look like cheap kids toys to me now. I have no doubt that the next Galaxy Note will have a larger screen.

I think it depends on what you use your phone for the most. I like using my phone as a way to call other people. Holding something the size of a brick next to my ear is neither comfortable or practical.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Browsing MacRumors makes it seem like such a huge percentage of iPhone owners want a bigger screen, while that's simply not true... they're just ALL on this forum. If you took a poll of all iPhone users in the country or the world, you'd find that the vast majority do not support a screen increase.

I have never, literally never, met somebody outside of this website who wants a larger screen on the iPhone. And most of my friends have iPhones.

Most iPhone users don't even know how to reboot their phone. The knowledgeable power users are the ones that want larger screens and whose opinions matter more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.