Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just in time for the holidays, Apple and Starbucks have partnered up for a (Product) Red gift card combo. When you buy the $15 iTunes + $15 Starbucks gift card both companies together will contribute 5% to the Global Fund to help fund AIDS research.
Give a gift that gives back this holiday season with Starbucks iTunes (RED)(TM) eGift basket. You can send loved ones a thoughtful gift of two digital eGifts--$15 eGift to Starbucks and $15 eGift to iTunes--for $30. Plus, for every gift sold, Starbucks and iTunes will together contribute 5% of the purchase price to the Global Fund to help deliver an AIDS free generation by 2015. With the convenience of a Starbucks Card, Starbucks Card eGifts can be used for purchases in-store at participating company-owned and licensed stores in the U.S. and online. This unique and meaningful eGift basket can be purchased at www.starbucks.com/REDeGift.
Screen-Shot-2012-11-29-at-5.34.51-PM.png
Apple has long been a supporter of the (Product) Red campaign, selling red iPod nano models, iPad Smart Cases and Smart Covers. Most recently, Apple released a (Product) Red bumper for the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4. At an Apple town hall meeting in February, Tim Cook mentioned that Apple (Product) Red products have generated over $50 million to help fund AIDS research. The gift card combo can be purchased at this website.

Article Link: Apple and Starbucks Partner for (Product) Red Gift Cards

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Two great companies partnering for a great cause. I like. :)

And the ability to give $15 at iTunes and $15 at Starbucks with only one gift card is rather clever somehow; it makes for a nice pair.

TeachMeiOS.com

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I like it when good companies give back!

There is a debate out there about whether or not a company should give back to social causes. To me, I think regardless of what side of the debate you land on, it is admirable when big corporations make an effort like this to make a difference in society. So, good work Apple and Starbucks. Keep this pattern up!

----------

Two great companies partnering for a great cause. I like. :)

And the ability to give $15 at iTunes and $15 at Starbucks with only one gift card is rather clever somehow; it makes for a nice pair.

This is a good pairing! Why not grab a cup of coffee and download a few apps - perfect!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
There is a debate out there about whether or not a company should give back to social causes. To me, I think regardless of what side of the debate you land on, it is admirable when big corporations make an effort like this to make a difference in society. So, good work Apple and Starbucks. Keep this pattern up!

Yes - Although a lot of the reason for them doing this would be for promotional reasons, it doesn't really matter why the money is donated, as long as it is :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It’s weird how Apple sometimes tucks the Red color of a product away from the rest of the product info. Look at the iPod Touch site: it says there are 5 colors and shows 5 swatches... but in reality there are 6! And the red is the nicest one—they shouldn’t hide it down at the bottom! (I wish it were red and black, not white, though.) Same for the other iPods.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
It’s weird how Apple sometimes tucks the Red color of a product away from the rest of the product info. Look at the iPod Touch site: it says there are 5 colors and shows 5 swatches... but in reality there are 6! And the red is the nicest one—they shouldn’t hide it down at the bottom! (I wish it were red and black, not white, though.)

There is a high level anti-red conspiracy in the West. From flags to corporate logos, colors are used (or not) for their historic and psychological symbolism.

You may buy a red iPod... The gods "allow" it.

It's keen that you picked up on that. Smart man.

trevorep

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
I love that they're contributing some of the money to charity but 5%? That's weak.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
WOW, how generous for two multi-billion dollar companies to donate a tiny 5% after making broke consumers spend $30. Yup, they sure are helping alot... *rolls eyes*

To hell with Apple and Starbucks.... Greedy bastards.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I love that they're contributing some of the money to charity but 5%? That's weak.

5% may seem slim but just remember that for Apple gets 30% of every $1 of iTunes revenue. From the 30 cents it has to run the entire iTunes ecosystem (data centers, bandwidth, financial transaction to credit cards, marketing, referrals, legal, etc).
It's estimated in 2010 that *over* 2/3rds of the 30 cents went to running iTunes. if that's true that leaves Apple with a most 10 cents per dollar.

So 5% may seem weak, but I'd say 9-11% is about as high can go without risking losing money on product Red currently. (I'm sure Apple is hoping to make alot more on their iTunes side, since the Appstore is growing real fast)

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
WOW, how generous for two multi-billion dollar companies to donate a tiny 5% after making broke consumers spend $30. Yup, they sure are helping alot... *rolls eyes*

To hell with Apple and Starbucks.... Greedy bastards.

I don't think that it is greed. If someone was going to buy anyway those 2 cards, he now has the opportunity to indirectly cause a donation. Better than no donation at all.
Also a side effect of this promotion is the raising awareness of this charity. I 'd guess that more people know now (or remembered ) of this charity. So they can donate directly without buying gift cards.

Tiggerz

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2004
Scotland
I'm afraid it will take more than this token gesture in the UK to rehabilitate Starbucks. I am one of the many people who is now boycotting them over the aggressive tax avoidance they have been practicing in the UK. Starbucks are a parasitic organisation here: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19967397

If they donated 5% of the tax they have avoided paying that really would make a difference. :-/

Last edited:

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Watch the documentary called Pink Ribbons, Inc. and decide for yourself on corporations using causes for profit.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I'm afraid it will take more than this token gesture in the UK to rehabilitate Starbucks. I am one of the many people who is now boycotting them over the aggressive tax avoidance they have been practicing in the UK. Starbucks are a parasitic organisation here: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19967397

If they donated 5% of the tax they have avoided paying that really would make a difference. :-/

Same here. They won't see another penny from me.

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
now this may be a daft question, but can this be purchased at a brick-and-mortar store? for even with gift cards, I do like to get a small box and wrap it up.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012

I agree. My friends and I have stopped going there.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
That Product RED crap only donates 1% to charity, 99% of the rest is expenses and executive pay.

I am amazed people still buy this RED BS faux charity.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I think it's a great product and would like it to be available in the UK.

As for the tax avoidance issue, if corporation tax wasn't so high in the UK perhaps companies would pay it. I'd rather get 10% tax from a large company than none. We should be encouraging businesses to operate in the UK by giving them incentives, not punishments. No way can the government interfere with the way a US company is run, all we can do is tempted them with a better offer than their home countries and tax haven countries.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
No offense....

But what do I get out of buying the gift card? If I have cash, I can buy stuff on itunes (through my debit card) or at Starbucks or anywhere else. If I buy a gift card, I can then only spend that cash at that merchant, including ones that will donate more than the 5% to charity.

Additionally, if the company that issued the gift card goes out of business, you lose that money in most cases. I know that's not likely with Apple or Starbucks, but you get the idea.

How is buying a gift card a good value, unless it gives ME something of value in return? For example, offering you 15% more than you paid for the gift card.

As for tax avoidance, well, I have to say that government (at least in the U.S.) gets so much of our money, that if there are legal ways to avoid giving them anything extra, I don't blame anyone for taking them. They found a creative and legal way around the system, don't blame Starbucks for that, blame the tax laws that make it possible. There is a very simple fix, all the governments need to do is simply abandon all income based taxes and switch to a sales tax only system, then there is no evading taxes, no tax returns, everything becomes much simpler. I think that the sales tax should be no higher than 10% for all state, federal & local taxes combined and all other taxes should be eliminated. This would mean that essentially no one person would ever pay more than 10% of their income in taxes. The government could operate on less, because they would need as many tax enforcement agencies, etc.

ArthurWellsley

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
London

I am also a previous Starbucks customer, now boycotting them for their unethical tax avoidance in the UK. I urge anyone on this forum to boycott Starbucks until their pay their tax in the UK in an ethical manner. Mayor Boris Johnson is right.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I am also a previous Starbucks customer, now boycotting them for their unethical tax avoidance in the UK. I urge anyone on this forum to boycott Starbucks until their pay their tax in the UK in an ethical manner. Mayor Boris Johnson is right.

And are you happy paying your 40% income tax to pay for the dole scum who get free houses, money to spend on sky TV and not do a day's work in their lives? The tax system in the Uk is screwed up, I don't blame starbucks one bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.