Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I'm a first time Mac owner so was a lil bit confused but decided to go for the Trackpad. I figured hell a mouse is a mouse can just get one later. Hopefully didnt make the wrong decision.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I'm a first time Mac owner so was a lil bit confused but decided to go for the Trackpad. I figured hell a mouse is a mouse can just get one later. Hopefully didnt make the wrong decision.

You made the right decision, IMHO. I love my trackpad but the magic mouse is horribly uncomfortable to me, and the touch gestures on it aren't what they're cracked up to be. Gestures on the magic trackpad are awesome!

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004

Apple mice universally suck, and the new OS is built around gestures. You made the right choice getting the trackpad.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I just ordered mine about 2 hours ago. Went with the trackpad. I love that trackpad. It takes a few days to get used to it, once you do, you'll find that moving a mouse around is awful. Plus there is an awesome program (sorry, I mean App), that can allow for custom gestures to be added to it. 4 finger taps and swipes and pinches and what not. They can then be mapped to a shortcut or command within another program or app. It's awesome.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Def. made right call. Mouses -- all of them are last century. The track pad might take some getting use to, but you will eventually love it to death. I know I could never go back to a mouse or track ball. Keep a cheap corded pointing device of some kind handy though for emergencies.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
It comes down to personal preference, but I went Trackpad, as I have used a laptop for years, and have spare mice for when I need it. Never really liked trying to gesture on the Magic Mice at the stores.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012

I thought exactly the same as you, so I did the same.

Plus I really like the trackpad on my macbook pro.

Whatsit

Suspended
Sep 21, 2012
Columbus, OH
Trackpad. After over a year of using my MBP, I have trouble even remembering how to navigate on computers without gestures. Two-finger scroll or death! (Well, not really. Still, though, two-finger scroll is pretty great.)

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Trackpad is the future for Macs. The OS is being built around gestures now since the vast majority of Macs sold are laptops. You made the right decision. I love my Magic Trackpad!

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012

Oh my God I've decided to select the magic mouse instead of the trckpad because I was not sure if i could get used to it :( Do you think I was wrong then?

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Oh my God I've decided to select the magic mouse instead of the trckpad because I was not sure if i could get used to it :( Do you think I was wrong then?

I also selected the magic mouse. A friend told me that the track pad is awful as it takes twice as long to do everything so if kind of counter productive.

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
I enjoy using my trackpad on my macbook pro, but when I'm at home (I'm a college student) I pair it with my magic mouse.

I put my laptop on a higher desk level for better viewing, and then I use my bluetooth keyboard/mouse for better access. But sometimes using a mouse is just a better experience for me like when I'm in photoshop -- it's really just preference in my opinion.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Why don't people go into a store and try this stuff out first? I'll never understand it (unless you don't live near an Apple Store).

I think the Magic Mouse is great... I rarely use the gestures, but when I do they're really nice.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I just left it at the standard wireless keyboard + magic mouse since I don't intend to use either. I have a Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard and the Logitech Performance MX instead.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The Magic Trackpad is great. The Magic mouse is horrible, and just so unbelievably uncomfortable for regular use and gestures.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Trackpad is awesome.

The Magic Mouse is nice, but transitioning to it requires getting your hand accurately placed on it (thumb on left side, ring finger on right side, can't be off from those edges at all), as contrasted with a trackpad where you just kinda brush it anywhere on a several-inch surface.

Mouse may be more suited for some applications, but for general & programming use the trackpad wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.