Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Does anybody know, whether the Fusion Drive's HD part runs at 7,200 rpm in the 27 iMac?

Thank you

wdowell

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
FR
Doubt it. After all from what I understand. most the time the data comes off the 'ssd' bit anyway.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I think it's safe to assume that it is, in fact, 7200rpm. The specs list the non-Fusion HDs as 7200rpm. I seriously doubt they'd pull a switcheroo and use different, slower drives for the Fusion options, given that the upgrade cost to Fusion is the same $250 as it is for all the 21" iMac and Mac mini configurations for which it's available.

Another reason: the reason Mac mini and 21" iMac use 5400rpm drives is because they're using 2.5" laptop drives in those. The 27" is using 3.5" drives (the existence of a 3 TB option proves this) and with 3.5" drives there's no real cost saving in using a 5400rpm.

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Doubt it. After all from what I understand. most the time the data comes off the 'ssd' bit anyway.

Yeah, I was just wondering because of bootcamp, where the SSD of the Fusion doesn't work.

----------

http://youtu.be/qhlvC9kOOuk?hd=1
Check this out, I don't know if they got paid...

Thanks, but it doesn't really answer the question, or did I miss something in the video?

----------

I think it's safe to assume that it is, in fact, 7200rpm. The specs list the non-Fusion HDs as 7200rpm. I seriously doubt they'd pull a switcheroo and use different, slower drives for the Fusion options, given that the upgrade cost to Fusion is the same $250 as it is for all the 21" iMac and Mac mini configurations for which it's available.

Another reason: the reason Mac mini and 21" iMac use 5400rpm drives is because they're using 2.5" laptop drives in those. The 27" is using 3.5" drives (the existence of a 3 TB option proves this) and with 3.5" drives there's no real cost saving in using a 5400rpm.

Thank you, sounds very reasonable, hope you're right for the sake of Bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.