Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
I've had the original iphone, and lots of androids, nexus S, galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, and now iPhone 5.

I love the clarity of the retina but still feels that it's too small as well.

The resolution is great, I can still see pages in portrait mode, but fk the words and buttons are too tiny to press without having to pinch and pull them.

My other pet peeve is the fkn aspect ratio will give black bars no matter what type of video you play, which makes it less ideal for videos or youtube, oh yeah let me tell you about the youtube app, it's fkn ridiculous, the videos will go all blurry even if the bandwidth is good...

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I've had the original iphone, and lots of androids, nexus S, galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, and now iPhone 5.

The resolution is great, I can still see pages in portrait mode, but fk the words and buttons are too tiny to press without having to pinch and pull them.

My other pet peeve is the fkn aspect ratio will give black bars no matter what type of video you play, which makes it less ideal for videos or youtube, oh yeah let me tell you about the youtube app, it's fkn ridiculous, the videos will go all blurry even if the bandwidth is good...
iPhone 5 is 16:9. All 16:9 video is full screen.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
yes, and I am larger than average.

Unless you are an NBA player, you are still using two hands many times.

I am 5'9" with medium sized hands and I can still use it with one hand even with a large otterbox case. Maybe you are using it with two due to preference not because you can't do one hand. For example I can type with one hand if I want but I use two since it is much faster. I have no problem reaching anywhere on my iPhone 5 with one hand if I have too

----------

Then call google and tell them to update YouTube for the iPhone 5. That issue is with the developer not Apple.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Frankly, passbook is one of my reasons for living.

That makes no sense, if you are leaving the iPhone because of an app you don't like and won't use then you really shouldn't go to an android phone because that bloat ware is ridiculous!

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Yeah, same.

I want a crappy little 3.5" screen that makes your lovely photos look tiny and my videos to look out of sorts.

Why on earth would I want the extra screen size to make web browsing beautiful and videos to run in their native 16:9 format.

Bad move Apple, bad move.

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I agree with what a couple others have said on this point. Neither the iP5 nor ANY phone on the market is designed for long-term web browsing. Heck I've got a 15" laptop that isn't the best at long-term web browsing - or reviewing documents, records, etc. (thank aging for that).

Surely you don't actually believe that jumping up to a 4.5-4.8" screen will be the cure-all for this issue. There's a reason that iPads and tablets are selling like hotcakes. They are better suited for web browsing but would make horrible phones. I mean, have we forgotten that these are PHONES?! I enjoy occasionally surfing the web and doing stuff OTHER than making calls on my iP5, but it is, after all, a device designed to make/receive phone calls. We have other items that serve a web browsing purpose. Even if you insist on using your phone for all your personal computing needs, I dare say you'd have a hard time finding one that WOULDN'T hurt your eyes with prolonged exposure to small print on a small, backlit screen.

You can also pinch to zoom.;)

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I agree with what a couple others have said on this point. Neither the iP5 nor ANY phone on the market is designed for long-term web browsing. Heck I've got a 15" laptop that isn't the best at long-term web browsing - or reviewing documents, records, etc. (thank aging for that).

Surely you don't actually believe that jumping up to a 4.5-4.8" screen will be the cure-all for this issue. There's a reason that iPads and tablets are selling like hotcakes. They are better suited for web browsing but would make horrible phones. I mean, have we forgotten that these are PHONES?! I enjoy occasionally surfing the web and doing stuff OTHER than making calls on my iP5, but it is, after all, a device designed to make/receive phone calls. We have other items that serve a web browsing purpose. Even if you insist on using your phone for all your personal computing needs, I dare say you'd have a hard time finding one that WOULDN'T hurt your eyes with prolonged exposure to small print on a small, backlit screen.

You can also pinch to zoom.;)

Well said!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Frankly, passbook is one of my reasons for living.

To be clear, aren't you one of the reasons for Passbook living? Regardless, I find the whole thing a bit ridiculous, just because I have a 42" TV in my living room it doesn't make the 32" one in my bedroom unwatchable, it's just adjusting between two things. Once you've watched a movie on an iMax is that the only screen you can ever watch a movie on again? Clearly not...

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I still think 4" is too small. When I had my 4.65" Nexus, I thought the screen size was nice. The S3 4.8" doesn't even seem as big in person as people make it out to be...maybe because the phone is thin. But, I'm still hoping for a larger screen iPhone. Maybe in 2014.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
Dude its not that bad. Im just glad its larger then before. Of course bigger would be better but Im thankful for even this incrememntal upgrade

coolhands

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
I see absolutely zero reason for this thread...You don't like the screen size...okay:confused::confused:?? Thanks for telling us??

vaio1990

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Used to have S3, but the phone is very sluggish and switched to iphone 5.... Im starting to notice that the screen is too small as well

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Dude its not that bad. Im just glad its larger then before. Of course bigger would be better but Im thankful for even this incrememntal upgrade

why we have to be thankful, if it's not a significant upgrade then you don't have to buy...

honestly coming from android I had my qualms about going back to a miniscule screen (today's standards at least for android)

It's good enough for now, but I do hope they make it a bigger again either with the 5S or 6.

The screen on my Galaxy Note was gorgeous but the damn phone was just too big to carry around conveniently...

I'd love something bigger but not Galaxy Note big...

I may have to go back to android next round when the next gen of phones come out and see...

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Since when has the measurement about how good a phone is, has become the screen size?

If you don't like it then there are plenty of alternatives out there.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
its sad that form almost always takes precendence on peoples purchasing opinions. I have an iPhone because I like the way it works. Smaller screen, bigger screen, etc thats an aside. I like the function of the device. Its why I dont have an android, I simply dont like the user experience. Does that make android bad? No, it just makes it not for me. I wish people saw the iDevices that way. So you dont like the size, thats fine, your opinion isnt everyones opinion. Dont like the screen on the new iPad mini? So what, others do. neither device will fail because of its screen size.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
You've got it totally backwards. I want to switch to Android, but on AT&T there are no reasonably sized Android phones. They are all freaking ENORMOUS. Verizon has the DROID RAZR M.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Get an iPad with cellular service or get glasses to magnify the iPhone. The flesh is never satisfied!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.