Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
After reading this thread : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1491664/ it got me thinking about my situation coming up...

I live in NC currently and am studying abroad in London from January to June and I have an iPhone 5 on Verizon, and do not know what to do for a phone while I'm in the UK......

I know that just using my phone normally will be RIDICULOUSLY expensive so I am gonna try to stick to using it in airplane mode and only use wifi for stuff like imessage and apps and what not.

But I am asking if I can put in an international sim card (which one would be best?) and use it for local texting and calls where imessage wouldn't be usable.

Otherwise I could just use my iP5 as a glorified iPod touch and get a pay as you go phone (which has been recommended to me by a few people)

thanks in advance and sorry in advance if this has been asked a bunch before.

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
I like Three's All-In-one plan which costs £15 and gives you 300 min, 3000 texts and unlimited data when I visit the UK. It's a PAYG plan so no contracts to sign.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
The verizon iphone is unlocked. As long as you can find a nanosim over there, you will be good to go.

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
I like Three's All-In-one plan which costs £15 and gives you 300 min, 3000 texts and unlimited data when I visit the UK. It's a PAYG plan so no contracts to sign.

that sounds like an awesome plan! Is this a whole phone device or a sim to put in my current phone?

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
that sounds like an awesome plan! Is this a whole phone device or a sim to put in my current phone?

Its a SIM card you simply insert into the iPhone 5. As soon as you land, pop into your local Carphone Warehouse, and explain the situation to them they will sort you out!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Each Network provides pay as you go nano sims in the Uk which are normally free if you order one online or call in to a network shop.

A network like 02 will ask you to put £10 onto the card before you leave the shop. This is then used as credit on the sim.

Ask whoever you know where your going to be in the Uk which network provides the strongest signal , as a really good bundle is useless without good signal !

Obviously ensure your iphone 5 will accept another networks sim too.

Lastly enjoy your stay here.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
OP have you thought about ringing up your current provider to see if you can 'freeze' your current contract?

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
OP have you thought about ringing up your current provider to see if you can 'freeze' your current contract?

I was about to say that... OP you can put your line on hold for free online that way you don't get charge. If you dont know how to do it, call and have the rep guide you... other wise Verizon charge $15 to do it over the phone.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Can you actually use that phone in the UK? It was my understanding that it is a CDMA model, so it won't work on UK 3G GSM networks.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Can you actually use that phone in the UK? It was my understanding that it is a CDMA model, so it won't work on UK 3G GSM networks.

From Apple site:

GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

GSM model A1429*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)

Looks like it's only LTE which won't be available, and let's face it, that's not much of a loss at this point!

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
Order a GiffGaff sim before you go.

I know this thread is kinda dead but I just now looked into GiffGaff, how is the service on them? The £12 a month unlimited web, texts and 250 talk minutes sounds like my kind of plan exactly, but if service is ****** then I wont even bother....

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012

Your "understanding" shows a complete lack of "understanding".

Ever since the 4S, the Verizon and Sprint versions have had GSM capability as well.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I know this thread is kinda dead but I just now looked into GiffGaff, how is the service on them? The £12 a month unlimited web, texts and 250 talk minutes sounds like my kind of plan exactly, but if service is ****** then I wont even bother....

Why not order a free giff gaff SIM card from their home page.

Put a £10 on not to activate it and give it a go for a period of say a week where you reside and work.

Then if alls ok commit.

If you have friends or family on that network and then ask them and also take an look at the forums giff gaff users are talking in.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

It's on the O2 network, so one of the larger mobile networks.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

Hey mate.

I've been on O2 for 4 years, the network service is fine, but got messed around by their customer services badly, so recently decided to leave.

I've just moved to GiffGaff, and have the £12 a month deal. Really impressed, much cheaper than O2 and it uses their network anyway. The Unlimited Data is a killer feature.

Got sent a free nanosim for my iPhone 5. Can fully recommend.

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
Hey mate.

I've been on O2 for 4 years, the network service is fine, but got messed around by their customer services badly, so recently decided to leave.

I've just moved to GiffGaff, and have the £12 a month deal. Really impressed, much cheaper than O2 and it uses their network anyway. The Unlimited Data is a killer feature.

Got sent a free nanosim for my iPhone 5. Can fully recommend.

Sweet! Yeah I think I'm gonna do that, I move in around january 15ish so as soon as I get my apartment I will order it, I really didn't want to get another phone so this is awesome.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Sweet! Yeah I think I'm gonna do that, I move in around january 15ish so as soon as I get my apartment I will order it, I really didn't want to get another phone so this is awesome.

No problem! Good luck with the move man!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
From Apple site:

Looks like it's only LTE which won't be available, and let's face it, that's not much of a loss at this point!

The Verizon iPhone 5 is the same as the UK iPhone 5 (just the UK version has CDMA disabled).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.