Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AriGold

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
First of all, sorry if this seems a bit repetitive. I have been reading the forums thoroughly but would like some specific advice.

I am in the US for 9 months of the year and back in the UK for 3 months. I have a vodafone contract with my current iphone in the UK which I use here on an AT&T pay and go sim.

Basically I am looking at which are the best options for me to buy an iphone 5. I visited apple today and they were more than happy to sell me a full price iP5 but only had 16gb.

I am not overly concerned about LTE at the moment as it doesn't look like I can get it here in US with my current circumstances.

My questions are;

1. Which iP5 model will support 3G on Vodafone UK network? ( I know, no LTE)
2. If either, which carrier would you recommend? (can of worms I know)
3. Is it best to buy the phone full price to allow change of sims between US and UK?
4. Is there a plan that would be ideal and get LTE service in the US?

Many thanks in advance.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
First of all, sorry if this seems a bit repetitive. I have been reading the forums thoroughly but would like some specific advice.

I am in the US for 9 months of the year and back in the UK for 3 months. I have a vodafone contract with my current iphone in the UK which I use here on an AT&T pay and go sim.

Basically I am looking at which are the best options for me to buy an iphone 5. I visited apple today and they were more than happy to sell me a full price iP5 but only had 16gb.

I am not overly concerned about LTE at the moment as it doesn't look like I can get it here in US with my current circumstances.

My questions are;

1. Which iP5 model will support 3G on Vodafone UK network? ( I know, no LTE)
2. If either, which carrier would you recommend? (can of worms I know)
3. Is it best to buy the phone full price to allow change of sims between US and UK?
4. Is there a plan that would be ideal and get LTE service in the US?

Many thanks in advance.

Verizon iPhone 5 is factory unlocked and will work in the US and UK. So no need to pay full price.

Verizon's iPhone 5 will work with LTE if you have EE in UK, otherwise, it will be 3G or the fake 4G.

Plus Verizon is the most reliable in the United States. Vodafone owns part of Verizon.

AriGold

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Verizon iPhone 5 is factory unlocked and will work in the US and UK. So no need to pay full price.

Verizon's iPhone 5 will work with LTE if you have EE in UK, otherwise, it will be 3G or the fake 4G.

Plus Verizon is the most reliable in the United States. Vodafone owns part of Verizon.

What plan would you suggest? Obviously I don't want to be tied into a 2 year contract. There is a month to month option with share everything on verizon but its rather expensive!

My girlfriend is on a family plan with her family. She said I could go on that but don't really want to be paying money to her dad!

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada

I don't know if that's true homie. Pretty sure there's a Voda SIM in the tray when you buy one from Verizon but they don't SIM unlock unless you've got one on contract for like ~3 months I believe.

If you get one on contract with Verizon it may or may not work in the UK under Vodafone.

phil1995

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
I don't know if that's true homie. Pretty sure there's a Voda SIM in the tray when you buy one from Verizon but they don't SIM unlock unless you've got one on contract for like ~3 months I believe.

If you get one on contract with Verizon it may or may not work in the UK under Vodafone.

I just returned from the UK with my Verizon Iphone 5. It is most definately unlocked right out of the box.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
There is a month to month option with share everything on verizon but its rather expensive!
Verizon plans tend to be more expensive. Sometimes they're cheaper though.
If you don't want to be stuck on a 2 yr contract, you might be better off getting an unlocked 5; it won't work with verizon. This way, you can stick with one of the pre-paid options.

:rolleyes: Nope. It's been confirmed on MR for some time that the verizon 5 is unlocked out of the box.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
If you know you're going to be doing this every year, definitely get an unlocked iPhone 5. You could get on a month-to-month plan in the US since you bought the phone outright, and reduce the plan when you go to the UK to pay the minimum amount per month, assuming you're in the UK for a consecutive three months? Then just get a prepaid sim while in the UK.

AriGold

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
It seems like the pre-paid at&t plans seem to be better. Plus I get 3g data with them at the moment, would this work with the 5 too?

Can someone please confirm which model iphone will work with vodafone 3G. I know they have different bands etc and want to make sure they are compatible.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
:rolleyes: Nope. It's been confirmed on MR for some time that the verizon 5 is unlocked out of the box.

Good to know. I don't have the time to come on here much anymore. Hard to stay up to date on certain things. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.