Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
I can confirm that a simple mobile sim DOES display 'simple mobile' when you put in a Verizon iPhone 5. The sim was bought on eBay and not activated.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
It will still show the Tmobile service even if the sim has not been activated. If you attempt to make a call it will direct you to customer service.

Does it only happen with those carriers then? Because I tried with a not activated AT&T sim and it showed no service

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I wanna test if my new iPhone 5 is in fact unlocked now, and the best way to do that is to simply put a different carrier's sim card, such as T-mobile..
The thing is that I need it to be unlocked to use it internationally with foreign carriers, so I don't have any T-mobile plans, and don't plan on having one.

They sell really cheap sim cards that I'm thinking about buying it just to find that out, but they come unactivated. Will my iPhone recognize the unactivated sim card and show T-mobile on the top corner, or do I need to like activate it with a cheap plan, or prepaid plan in order for that to work? And remember that I just wanna do that to find if my iphone is unlocked now, i don't have any intentions in use that sim card for other than that!:apple:

http://iphoneimei.info/

----------

Does it only happen with those carriers then? Because I tried with a not activated AT&T sim and it showed no service

I tried an unactivated T-Mobile SIM card on an iPhone 5 and the only thing it showed was 4-5 bars and it said T-Mobile. No edge or 3G. It redirects you to customer care on how to activate the SIM.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Are you doing your test in an area that gets good AT&T cell signal?

Yes! But it could be maybe because I'm testing with an AT&T sim deactivated?
I used to use that one and them I cancelled my plan that I had with that sim

ayberk

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
My question might be irrelevant, but still i think it is fine to ask here.

Right now I have a t-mobile sim, but it is not nano. Can I get a nano-sim without losing my number and current plan? Or do I have to cut it?

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I can confirm that a simple mobile sim DOES display 'simple mobile' when you put in a Verizon iPhone 5. The sim was bought on eBay and not activated.

You're totally right! I just got a simple mobile sim and it showed "simple mobile" on the top left corner!!! :D

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
http://iphoneimei.info/

----------

I tried an unactivated T-Mobile SIM card on an iPhone 5 and the only thing it showed was 4-5 bars and it said T-Mobile. No edge or 3G. It redirects you to customer care on how to activate the SIM.

Same here.
I was wondering why it didn't show 3G or edge.
Now it makes sense.
I just bought the simple mobile nano sim to test out unlocks.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012

Right now I have a t-mobile sim, but it is not nano. Can I get a nano-sim without losing my number and current plan? Or do I have to cut it?

I heard you can just go to T-mobile with your regular sim card and they will give you a nano with your number and everything for free, but I'm my sure, you should go there and check!

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Go to a T-mobile corporate store and ask for a "free" nano Sim if you are on a post paid contract. They will help you to transfer your contacts etc. Non corporate stores can charge anywhere from $10 to $20. In that case you can order a free nano sim online and call T-mobile with that to register the new SIM on your existing phone number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.