Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Either I am just blind or Apple doesn't use the products they create because I cannot figure this out. Let's say in Mail I open a message to read it, there is no way to close it. No buttons, no cancel, nothing. The only way I have found is by chosing reply or forward then hitting cancel.

Is this right? Has Apple really left such a basic action out or am I over looking it?

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Either I am just blind or Apple doesn't use the products they create because I cannot figure this out. Let's say in Mail I open a message to read it, there is no way to close it. No buttons, no cancel, nothing. The only way I have found is by chosing reply or forward then hitting cancel.

Is this right? Has Apple really left such a basic action out or am I over looking it?

Hit the red traffic light button in the upper left hand corner, or press command-W.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Are you in full-screen mode. (which I never use, by the way -- 27" monitor, who needs full-screen for that?) If so, the traffic light goes away in that mode, but is replaced by a "done" cmdbutton.

If not fullscreen, sounds like something you might find in general system preferences, or maybe local mail app preferences. Bn

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Are you in full-screen mode. (which I never use, by the way -- 27" monitor, who needs full-screen for that?) If so, the traffic light goes away in that mode, but is replaced by a "done" cmdbutton.

If not fullscreen, sounds like something you might find in general system preferences, or maybe local mail app preferences. Bn

Yep, full screen mode. Old eyes and a 15 inch laptop requires it! Appreciate the help. I do not recall seeing a done option, but let me look again and or try cmd-w.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
So I confirmed it; while in full screen mode, double click a message to open it, there is no way (at least on my computer) to close the message. No red/yellow/green buttons, no done button, nothing. Command-W works, but that is not intuative at all. In regualr screen mode it works as normal.

So before I go off on a rant about how could Apple over look such a basic function and how recently an ever increasing number of features or functions are missing, do not work or only work part way, which seems to me to be a sign of laziness and lack of quality work; is this unique to me, or are others seeing this same problem in full screen mode of mail?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
You could always just use the menu bar at the top. File > Close?

Nope when a message is open in full screen the menu barn is not available. You cannot do anything except replying or forward. Its like Apple forgot people may want to close an open message.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Nope when a message is open in full screen the menu barn is not available. You cannot do anything except replying or forward. Its like Apple forgot people may want to close an open message.

Is the menu bar hidden or just completely inaccessible? I just tried it and I'm able to get the menu bar...

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Is the menu bar hidden or just completely inaccessible? I just tried it and I'm able to get the menu bar...

Really? How? So you have a list if messages in full screen mode. You double click one and it opens in a window, behind it you can see the mail app and you can access the menu bar?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Really? How? So you have a list if messages in full screen mode. You double click one and it opens in a window, behind it you can see the mail app and you can access the menu bar?

I think so, I'm at work atm and I remember I was in fullscreen mode in Mail earlier this morning and I opened up a message in my inbox and I didn't use any keyboard shortcuts to close it. I used the menu bar. Once I get off work, I'll reproduce it and screenshot or screencast it.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I think so, I'm at work atm and I remember I was in fullscreen mode in Mail earlier this morning and I opened up a message in my inbox and I didn't use any keyboard shortcuts to close it. I used the menu bar. Once I get off work, I'll reproduce it and screenshot or screencast it.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 4.54.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 4.54.29 AM.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 4.54.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 4.54.30 AM.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 94

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
In full screen mode, I have both: a Done button and access to the File menu if I hover the cursor at the top of the screen. What version of Mail do you have? Mine is 6.2 and I'm running ML.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.