Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I'm afraid the 'web' pretty much took over digital content long ago. Am I interested in digital books? Yes, very much so. But for 'magazines' or 'news'... I already have an endless supply of free (ad sponsored) resources on the 'web' I'm already comfortable with. Digital magazines and newspapers may just be a non-starter - I'm afraid they're way too late to the party, that ship has sailed.

I think you might be right there.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
news flash Rupert:

most iphone / ipad users are democrats. We tend to not gravitate towards FOX.

That's a very interesting statement you made there.. So are Republicans Android users? Come on... Get off the political junk.. Apple products are owned by everyone. Including independents.... Lol

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
news flash Rupert:

News flash: where did you get this dubious statistic. Or is it just based on some ludicrous stereotype that right-of-center people don't use technology because it's all modern and stuff.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Why pay for news that you can get for free somewhere else.

Because eventually we won't be able to get news at all. At least not news that doesn't involve celebrities or sports. Oh well.

I subscribed for a year, then didn't renew. It didn't work that great on my iPad 1 as the processing power wasn't really there yet for a mag that was devoted to so many pictures. I also didn't like that it couldn't be set to upload automatically. So if I wanted to read it, I had to launch the app, then wait for it to download. If it had downloaded every night so it was ready to go in the morning, it would have been a lot nicer. All newspapers on the iPad have this problem (it is Apple's fault for not supporting this feature) but the Daily never seemed to download as fast as the NYTimes or the WSJournal. Maybe because those are more text based papers. I subscribe to those and so I'm still supporting journalism. I guess that is all that I will do.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Nope not putting any more money into right wing propagandas pocket.

----------

I was/am a subscriber. Mainly, because i wanted to support the concept. The publication is enjoyable but truly i probably only read about 20% of the issues, even in part.

Its hard to compete with free as everyone points out, regardless of the quality, at least as it pertains to many categories of products.

Media/Content companies have to adapt to a world where paper will continue to trend down until its boutique only. They have to put out quality content based on a much lower cost structure and where the business model is about advertising, edutainment, product placement, advertainment etc.

This means lower compensation across the industry, outsourcing, freelancing, less management, less vice presidents, less vanity spending by a business that has a history of controlling access to information and the benefits that once came from that.

The problem is to get the stories you need the journalists and the money to support them getting the full story. The news you get on the internet isnt free. The money had to come from somewhere. I hate this trend of business types who have no talents of their own undervaluing the talents of others so they can make a buck while doing very little to earn a buck.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Nope not putting any more money into right wing propagandas pocket.

----------

The problem is to get the stories you need the journalists and the money to support them getting the full story.

What is a "living wage" for a journalist and those that manage and support them? Now examine that against the expense structures of so called old media companies.

----------

Agreed! We should silence all publications that do not align 100% with your world view!

Lol - That is a great response.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
What is a "living wage" for a journalist and those that manage and support them? Now examine that against the expense structures of so called old media companies.

----------

Lol - That is a great response.

Some world views are based on facts. Not all world views are equivalent and based on their intellectual merit. Its not a good response to the valid criticism.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Time are changing. Publishers need to get rid of their old ideologies and instead, find new ways to generate revenue.
The Internet is filled with information, most of it available for free.
Why pay for something that is available for free?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Time are changing. Publishers need to get rid of their old ideologies and instead, find new ways to generate revenue.
The Internet is filled with information, most of it available for free.
Why pay for something that is available for free?

How about upper management take a pay cut and investors take a pay cut first? Just because you didnt pay for the news or the journalism doesnt mean someone didnt have to pay for it be it advertisers or consumers...but in this case the damaged image of fox news and Newscorp in general definitely played a part in the daily's demise.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Agreed! We should silence all publications that do not align 100% with your world view!

Not the reason why they should be destroyed but I'm sure you believe that's why I think they should be gone. MSNBC should be taken along with them.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Awww, damn. I was hoping they were shutting down because Rupert and friends were headed to the slammer.

I at least hope that The Daily left a sizable hole in their budget.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
How about upper management take a pay cut and investors take a pay cut first? Just because you didnt pay for the news or the journalism doesnt mean someone didnt have to pay for it be it advertisers or consumers...but in this case e damaged image of fox news and Newscorp in general definitely played a part in the daily's demise.

Agree with you on expense structures but asking investors to take a cut, is akin to asking people for charity. Better yet, taxes can support unbiased journalism ala BBC or Public Television but that's hard to do when you your country is swimming in a budget deficit.

ChrisNH

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
southern New Hampshire
Message to all media people...

Get this clear: people HATE media. Newspapers, weekly magazines, local 'TeeVee Nooze.' We hate them all. If you're going to bludgeon us with advertising, commercials and lie about your political slant, we'll bludgeon you right back by ignoring your offerings.

ronaldhennessy

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
The idea of a daily, iPad-only newspaper sounded good in theory, but News Corp simply could not make this publication compelling enough for people to pay for it. When you're cranking out news on the level of McPaper USA Today and expect people to pay for it in this day and age, you deserve to fail.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
news flash Rupert:

I work in NYC, surrounded by major financial institutions and wall street banks, and I can tell you my friends at Moody's, Credit Suisse, NYSE Euronext and othersuch firms are using iPhones and iPads, and they are dyed in the wool conservatives.

Apple is agnostic when it comes to politics. Full stop.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think the 100 million iPads out there are in the hands of more than just liberals. Rush Limbaugh hands them out to his listeners like candy.

I'm not saying that only liberals have iPads. I'm saying that as a demographic, iPad owners will tend to be younger and more tech savvy, which makes them more likely to be Democrats. There may be a big enough market for a conservative iPad news publication. However, Fox Group/News Corp's TV and publications tend to appeal to an older, less tech savvy audience (the WSJ is a notable exception and it does well). They aren't likely to be buying iPads and subscribing to the Daily.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I'm not saying that only liberals have iPads. I'm saying that as a demographic, iPad owners will tend to be younger and more tech savvy, which makes them more likely to be Democrats. There may be a big enough market for a conservative iPad news publication. However, Fox Group/News Corp's TV and publications tend to appeal to an older, less tech savvy audience (the WSJ is a notable exception and it does well). They aren't likely to be buying iPads and subscribing to the Daily.

Again, wrong.

iPads especially are finding their way into the hands of an older demographic who simply want something to surf the web and check their email on.

Furthermore, compared to all other tablets, iPad owners tend to be wealthier and older.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
This wasn't suprising.

Take a look at 'The Economist'. You can subscribe to print only, online only or all. The content is top class, the apps on all platforms are amazing - particularly the iphone and ipad. You get the 'magazine' on thursday evenings; a day before it arrives in shops. The magazine itself is not just png images and huge (like the unwieldy GQ app), but compressed and using resizable text in the companies own font.

The bottom line is, people are willing to be for something they can't get elsewhere - intelligent, curated commentary. Economist, Financial Times etc.

Tattle, crappy interview, technology 'news' is available everywhere. What exactly is 'the Daily's' market?

In the end the most popular newspapers will survive from online advertising (Daily Mail in the UK and increasingly in the USA), or being free-sheets distributed on metro systems and busses for quick easy news.

Those that are not mass market and do not have premium content, will fall.

Hoping The Guardian finds a way around this.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008

Romney Bears Loss Behind Closed Doors: http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20121203/NEWS03/312039947/1006/NEWS

"Romney hangs around the house, sometimes alone, pecking away at his iPad and emailing his CEO buddies"

drudus

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Now if I could just disable the Newsstand app :/. I can't even put it into a folder to "hide" it.

This, so much. And that goes for any Apple app. I get it, Apple wants to include in-house apps on their platform, that's fine. Weather, Clock, Stocks... it would be nice if I could choose for these to remain in iTunes or have on my phone, as there are much better alternatives out there. As for Newsstand, let me at least put the damn thing in a folder!

Can't you? Maybe they since fixed the exploit, but you used to be able to move it in right when a new folder was created or something like that. But don't try opening it or springboard (the iOS home screen application) crashes.

If you want live outside Apple's box … jailbreak, or quit complaining about the silly limitations you accept by using iOS & move to Android instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.