Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Hi Everyone,

I would greatly appreciate any help / advice with the following issue if possible:

I little while ago my wife inserted a (new, non-damaged) DVD into her 2007 MacBook and since then we have not been able to get it out. I have read through forums, etc. and tried everything short of a physical operation (which I began until I realized just how many screws I had to unscrew just to get the case off). The key combinations at start up, etc. do not help...

Is it time to open it up myself / take it to the shop, or is there something less extreme that I can do?

And why on earth did Apple do away with the "paperclip hole" for just this purpose on previous models?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If the drive does not eject discs using the F12 or eject key on the keyboard.

If the disc will not eject try dragging the disc icon to the trash.

If the disc will still not eject, holding down the trackpad or mouse button after restarting the computer should also eject a disc.

If the disc continues not to eject, reset the Power Manager (PMU) or System Management Controller (SMC) and try steps 1-4 again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2801

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
It could be a couple of things - most likely is the letterbox inside the casing is squashed and it is not able to eject

Does the disk show on the desktop ?

Can you hear any noises that sound like the MacBook is trying to eject the disk ?

stev3n

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
I had a cd stuck in my optical drive before and couldn't get it out no matter what I tried. So I decided to take apart my MacBook (OG MacBook) and open up the optical drive. Once you remove the optical drive, it's very easy to open and take the cd out. I did have a little trouble when I was putting everything back together trying to make sure that the optical drive is properly aligned. I used iFixit: The free repair manual to help guide me along the way. Be careful though, you could mess up or break the MacBook. You could also try taking it to the Apple Store. My friend had the same issue with his MBP so he took it to the Apple Store on 5th Ave in NY at 3am and they removed the cd for free. His warranty was expired. Force Eject a Stuck CD or DVD - Mac Guides Good luck!

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I inserted a business card, and the DVD popped right out. I learnt about that trick here on MR, I believe.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have tried everything that you suggested short of opening the optical drive, so I guess this is the next step...

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
you could try this first, while holding you mac with the disc slot pointing to the floor, hold the eject button and gently rock the mac up and down. :eek:

i know this sounds crazy, but it worked for me and a couple of my friends too. ;)

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have tried everything that you suggested short of opening the optical drive, so I guess this is the next step...

Bummer....I have had success holding down the eject button as I power down the computer, and the disc pops right out. I would at least give that a shot before taking the computer apart.

Good luck!

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
you could try this first, while holding you mac with the disc slot pointing to the floor, hold the eject button and gently rock the mac up and down. :eek:

i know this sounds crazy, but it worked for me and a couple of my friends too. ;)

This works if the reason the disc is stuck is because it came off the spindle inside the drive. If the frame is bent so that it is obstructing the slot, then the only way to get the disc out will be to take apart the computer, get the drive out of the slot, boot the computer and eject the disc while it's pointed above the frame. If something is wrong with the optical drive itself, you're probably screwed.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Yes - we need to know whether the dvd is showing on the desktop or not....

If not the optical drive is probably toast (as iThinkergoiMac suggests)

If it is showing on the desktop then it it probably a physical problem...

Amy noises ?????

bribri0424

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2012
Thanks

Who Ever said to hold down the mouse button or who ever said to hold the eject button on start up, it worked....I couldn't access my cd for about 5 days and my mac kept making weird sounds but I don't know which one worked because I did both on start up:)
Thanks again
-Brian

oscas

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
Business Card

I inserted a business card, and the DVD popped right out. I learnt about that trick here on MR, I believe.

I tried everything to get a stuck DVD out but to no avail. Can't believe this business card trick worked - I just wiggled it around a bit as the DVD was trying to eject and it came out! Thank you!!!

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I tried everything to get a stuck DVD out but to no avail. Can't believe this business card trick worked - I just wiggled it around a bit as the DVD was trying to eject and it came out! Thank you!!!

You're welcome -- I played it forward :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.