Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.

I use mine with one hand all the time. I can reach anywhere on the screen with my thumb.

So, no, we didn't fall for marketing. Sorry you have small hands.

And to the others who are saying educate yourself on Android - I just came from the Galaxy S3. Android does suck. It sucks hardcore. But, that's my opinion.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I would really like to see them utilize similar basic phone dimensions to the 5 but just make a phone a tad wider and use more of the dead space at the top and bottom of phone to keep a 16:9 ratio, thus providing a slightly larger screen size. I almost always type in portrait with two hands and still feel a bit squeezed with the width when I type, read emails, news, etc. I don't want to carry around a giant phablet, though!:eek: The 5 was a move in the right direction but I do wish it was just a tad wider.

The other thing I have noticed with the 5 that I've found somewhat hard to get used to is that the screen feels further away from my fingers when I hold it in portrait and type (if this makes sense). Landscape typing seems easier, though, and more natural. I think my problem with portrait typing on the 5 is because it's thinner and my fingers/hands are so accustomed to typing on the old 4 form factor.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Maybe you should get a 4.1 inch android phone might be better for your eyes. Lol jk jk

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I have average, or maybe slightly larger hands than average. I have had the S3 and Gnex, and they are both easily navigated with one hand. It takes minimal effort and .2 seconds to adjust your phone in your hand(using only that same hand) to pull down the notification center at the top of the screen. I mean how lazy are people? :rolleyes:

All this two handed talk to use a 4.7" is a joke, i tons and tons of girls at work using the S3 all the time, none of them are bitching about the size.

I will say though ALL of these issues for the people that do have issues could easily be resolved if they JUST PUT THE DAMN CONTROLS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN INSTEAD. Its a simple fix...

Put the notification at the bottom, swipe up to get it, put all menu buttons, or any buttons at the bottom..easy again. There would be ZERO reasons to reach to the top of the screen then, unless you want to click a link or something maybe, but then all you gotta do anyway is scroll down a little to avoid that...who knows though, that may be to much work for some people :rolleyes:

I agree having buttons on the bottom is really convenient, but I see so many people shifting their S3s in their hand as they try to reach to the top of the screen. With the iPhone 5, you have to do this too but to a lesser degree and also it's easier to hold to boot because of the width. The S3 is "manageable" but I feel I have to be ever so cautious because the weight is balanced weirdly when holding it.

On another note, I really wish Apple uses those thin bezel LCDs soon so they can make the screen wider without sacrificing their touted one handed usage. The glass bezel on the left and right of the screen has been the same width since 2007! The only thing they changed is the body of the phone and removed the metal bezel like on the 3GS to make the phone thinner.

wwwwww

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.

I easily type this whole message with one hand

Last edited by a moderator:

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I easily type this whole message with one hand

Typing on the keyboard and reaching for the upper corners are two different things. I agree, the 4.0 is not nearly as easy to use one handed. I have to adjust the phone to reach the upper corners. I can still use it one handed but not nearly as easy. I'd just rather have a larger screen and be done with it. 4.3 would be my pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
OP should have gone to Spec Savers.

Seriously, though, I too wish the iPhone had a larger display. Frankly it is because I do have to go to Spec Savers. Being visually impaired, it could care less about retina display resolution. I need contrast and larger text size. Perhaps with the recent shakeup at Apple, they'll pull their thumb out and realize that the iPhone is an information manager. They'd realize then that the iPhone small screen makes as much sense as the small screen on the original Mac - it's good for the first few iterations, but in the long run people want more of their retina stimulated.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I passed on the iPhone 5 because I know Apple is going to keep that 4" display and resolution for at least 2 to 3 years while Android makes 1920x1080p standard across many sizes.

Why not just put a 4k display in phones? Not like you can see a difference past the resolution the iPhone 5 has anyway, but why not increase the cost of just the screen by double?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Okay do u think if they made it a little wider you couldn't do it?

Keep the height the same but wider...

YES U CAM DO IT,!,!,!,,!,,

if they made a edge to edge bezel that would be incredible, the phone feels really comfortable to hold as it is any wider would start messing that feel up.. but if they made a edge to edge screen that would be so nice.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
OP should have gone to Spec Savers.

Seriously, though, I too wish the iPhone had a larger display. Frankly it is because I do have to go to Spec Savers. Being visually impaired, it could care less about retina display resolution. I need contrast and larger text size. Perhaps with the recent shakeup at Apple, they'll pull their thumb out and realize that the iPhone is an information manager. They'd realize then that the iPhone small screen makes as much sense as the small screen on the original Mac - it's good for the first few iterations, but in the long run people want more of their retina stimulated.

Wasn't it just last year that everyone was saying they wanted a 4" screen and complained when didn't get one. Now that they got that it isn't good enough for them. If you don't like it then their are plenty of alternatives

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I thought 4" would be perfect, but I'm really craving 4.5-4.7" now. I think Apple will do it eventually, and they'll do it without really changing the dimensions of the phone too much.

benjalamelami

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012

I can use it only with one hand. No problem. BUT only when I have to. But you can use it with only one hand.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Yes, blame Apple, it's entirely their fault that you purchased something that doesn't suit your needs/preference.

Where the heck did accountability in consumerism go? This is a perfect case of - the customer is not always right.

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
While I love my iPhone 5, I kind of miss the ability to play any video format out of the box which I enjoyed on my GS3 and Note 2.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I thought 4" would be perfect, but I'm really craving 4.5-4.7" now. I think Apple will do it eventually, and they'll do it without really changing the dimensions of the phone too much.

You're probably right. But adding half an inch to the screen diagonally isn't going to all of a sudden make it easier to read on.

Phones are good for short bursts on the go and things like that. If you're going to do a lot of browsing on a mobile device you really need an iPad (or a tablet of some sort depending on what brand you prefer).

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Wasn't it just last year that everyone was saying they wanted a 4" screen and complained when didn't get one. Now that they got that it isn't good enough for them. If you don't like it then their are plenty of alternatives

Android? :eek: Seriously, though, I don't think 4" is the sweat spot, for the phone needs to be wider. Seriously, why should a phone adopt the aspect ratio of a movie screen? It just makes little sense to me....

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ah!

the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I'm very late in my fourth decade and not getting any younger and my eyes have always had a terrible eyeglass prescription.

But, I like the iPhone5 screen a lot.

I would have a serious problem going to another type of phone because that retina display really should be marketed as "so clearly legible that even aliensporebomb's horribly defective eyes can view the screen clearly in a variety of conditions".

Shrug.

----------

As bad as my eyesight is, I have huge hands. Ask any guitar player - I can play the spider finger Allan Holdsworth knuckle busting chords with ease.

If I hold the iphone5 with its bottom at the base of my palm it ends and I still have two knuckles to go. In fact, if I curl my middle finger over the top it ends at the far right side of the phone.

I'm a freak, I know. Maybe one of those droids would be more appropriate for my sasquatch hand size.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
You're probably right. But adding half an inch to the screen diagonally isn't going to all of a sudden make it easier to read on.

Phones are good for short bursts on the go and things like that. If you're going to do a lot of browsing on a mobile device you really need an iPad (or a tablet of some sort depending on what brand you prefer).

Adding half an inch or more makes a dramatic difference. And if the iPad has proven anything, it's that bigger looks better. Movies, photos, web pages, games, everything looks nicer.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Adding half an inch or more makes a dramatic difference. And if the iPad has proven anything, it's that bigger looks better. Movies, photos, web pages, games, everything looks nicer.

iPhones 5-inch will definitely cannibalize the sales of ipad mini... but on the positive note, apple will be able to sell more of the 9.7" retina ipad, which is more expensive...

win-win for consumers and apple

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
iPhones 5-inch will definitely cannibalize the sales of ipad mini... but on the positive note, apple will be able to sell more of the 9.7" retina ipad, which is more expensive...

win-win for consumers and apple

Five inches is too big, hah

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Five inches is too big, hah

it'd be nice though...
htc-one-x-5.jpg

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
it'd be nice though...

I feel beyond 4.7 is getting unwieldy, and is crossing into phablet territory. A 4.7" screen with similar dimensions to the iPhone 5 (probably a little wider) would arguably be the sweet spot for most users. Who knows, with the rate things are going, the sweet spot might be 5.x inches in a year or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.