Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
Very interesting. Wonder if they'll begin as Verizon did; selling WiFi-capable iPads at first with mifi devices.

Or will they jump in with both feet with supported devices; i.e., iPads and iPhones.

Here a statement per dowjones.com:

"T-Mobile USA's CEO John Legere said that it will be a "different and unique product" and that all analyst reports on T-Mobile USA's adaption of the iPhone "have been wrong." Still, it will take several months until Apple products will be launched, Legere also said at the Bonn event.
T-Mobile is the only major U.S. wireless carrier that doesn't offer the iPhone, and its executives have cited that omission as a key reason T-Mobile continues to lose hundreds of thousands of valuable contract customers to competitors. "

So this doesn't sound like there will be any US T-mobile iPhone any time soon. Wonder if they'll have the new Blackberry. I've been a loyal t-mobile customer since the Voicestream times. And I need a new phone soon since the screen on my BB is on its way out. I don't want one of those gigantic Samsung phones or so. The iPhone 5 is already too big I find. So let's see what actually happens but it looks more like some t-mobile branded tablet or so.

Last edited:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
T-Mobile's best deals are their pay-as-you-go plans - it'll be interesting to see what they do with the iPhone though. But guys like me that don't make lots of voice calls are a lot better off paying full price for the phone and going with one of their lower-cost plans.

----------

I think that $30/month plan is a value plan, which requires you to pay full price for your phone anyway.

Exactly right... it's the plan I'm on, actually.

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
You think this will affect pricing for Att/Verizon customers in the future? I mean sprint already has a great deal on plans but lets face it, their network sucks. If tmobile make's their LTE in the same class as ATT/Verizon and get people to switch there, I'm hoping Att will provide cheaper plans since I'm stuck for another 2 years with 5 iphones :( As you can imagine, ETF for 5 iphones would be insane :eek:

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Here a statement per dowjones.com:

"T-Mobile USA's CEO John Legere said that it will be a "different and unique product" and that all analyst reports on T-Mobile USA's adaption of the iPhone "have been wrong." Still, it will take several months until Apple products will be launched, Legere also said at the Bonn event.
T-Mobile is the only major U.S. wireless carrier that doesn't offer the iPhone, and its executives have cited that omission as a key reason T-Mobile continues to lose hundreds of thousands of valuable contract customers to competitors. "

So this doesn't sound like there will be any US T-mobile iPhone any time soon. Wonder if they'll have the new Blackberry. I've been a loyal t-mobile customer since the Voicestream times. And I need a new phone soon since the screen on my BB is on its way out. I don't want one of those gigantic Samsung phones or so. The iPhone 5 is already too big I find. So let's see what actually happens but it looks more like some t-mobile branded tablet or so.

What other kind of product, other than a phone/handset, would a Telecom based company be inclined to sell? In fact, there's only two products that Apple sells that could possibly fit into that category -- iPhones and iPads. I find it difficult to believe that T-Mobile would find it strategically advantageous to start carrying cellular iPads before carrying (now very much compatible) iPhone 4,4S, and 5.

You shouldn't read too much into it.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
T-Mobile's best deals are their pay-as-you-go plans - it'll be interesting to see what they do with the iPhone though.

I beg to differ lol. Then again, I'm not sure if my current rate plan will stick, however it looks ridiculously cheap. :D

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
No they're not. Unless they suddenly steal all of AT&T or Verizon Wireless' market share, why would they cap their data? Sprint and T-Mobile, due to their lower subscriber rates, can afford to offer unlimited data plans. ATT/VZ, on the other hand, have so many subscribers that it has become cost-ineffective to offer everyone unlimited data -- especially considering how many people would easily take advantage of that using far more data than they're really paying for.

All four of the big carriers in the U.S. realize their strengths and weaknesses - they're going to capitalize on them, NOT shoot themselves in the foot.

I'm going to assume that many former t-mobile consumers will jump right back in to tmobile... and you'll know the rest.

p.s. i would love to see that pink chick with tmobile riding that bike say..."oh crap, i've been throttled..." :D

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
This is exciting news for T-mobile customers, including me! However I don't see a release happening until late Summer or Fall 2013.

destroysall.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
You think this will affect pricing for Att/Verizon customers in the future? I mean sprint already has a great deal on plans but lets face it, their network sucks. If tmobile make's their LTE in the same class as ATT/Verizon and get people to switch there, I'm hoping Att will provide cheaper plans since I'm stuck for another 2 years with 5 iphones :( As you can imagine, ETF for 5 iphones would be insane :eek:

Is that a joke? Their 3G isn't even par.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Is there any news if this will be using T-Mobiles current 3G 1700/2100mhz network?

That would be absolutely fantastic as Wind Mobile customers in Canada (500,000+) could also take advantage of having the iPhone. My sister has been bugging me about getting an iPhone but its not available on the Wind Mobile Network.

Last edited:

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
This is great news. In the past I've had Cingular, ATT, and Verizon plans. By far, the best value and fit for me has been my current $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan.

i'm on the same plan, only my area doesn't get 3G/4G... and edge sucks. here's to hoping they speed up the upgrade.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
This is great news. In the past I've had Cingular, ATT, and Verizon plans. By far, the best value and fit for me has been my current $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan.

I have this plan as well but I'm pretty sure they will be doing away with it in 2013 when the iPhone officially comes on board. I highly doubt they will grandfather anyone in with the cheap prepaid plans.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
What other kind of product, other than a phone/handset, would a Telecom based company be inclined to sell? In fact, there's only two products that Apple sells that could possibly fit into that category -- iPhones and iPads. I find it difficult to believe that T-Mobile would find it strategically advantageous to start carrying cellular iPads before carrying (now very much compatible) iPhone 4,4S, and 5.

You shouldn't read too much into it.

I don't know what's there to read into it. He says it pretty clearly. An iPad would make sense because they could support that with their current technology. I don't think the iPhone would work yet given Apple's unique expectations and restrictions. For most part it sounds like you'd be on EDGE speed with those and that's slower than my 3G Blackberry. Who wants to put up with that?

I'm more curious if this will all lead to a potential takeover in the end. Very speculative of course but Apple investing into communication infrastructure kind of makes sense. Their not selling services and I don't think you can maintain being the biggest tech company and all you do is sell gadgets with now a side business of selling computers. That can't be sustainable. While Facebook is selling hot air others have diversified as a long term strategy - see google or amazon. Apple needs to quickly come up with something and investors won't like it if they keep sitting on unimaginable wads of cash.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
No way they'll allow the $30 Walmart plan to work with iPhones. They'll either raise the price or block it from getting high speed data if you are using an iPhone

This is 100 percent correct. I have the $30 plan right now and I fully expect T-Mobile to take it away from everyone when the iPhone officially comes on board.

----------

I work for TMO and we've received chargers and i5 cases already. Since last week. Just saying.

So T-Mobile will be carrying the iPhone 5 in early 2013 and won't have to wait for the 4S?

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
YES! My contract with 1/2 of the greedy duopoly (AT&T) ends on January 2013.

Wishing for a better and much improved T-Mobile in 2013. I was a happy & satisfied customer for several years on TMo before I did the AT&T iPhone switch.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I only see a $45 plan (500 mins + 2GB data + per message text costs), which is the same price as StraightTalk, but with less texting privileges.

$45 with straight talk is unlimited text, talk, and data

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
$30/month no contract for TMO includes 100 mins, unlimited text & unlimited web w/ 5GB of 4G speeds.

The point is that this plan will not be available anymore when the iPhone officially comes to T-Mobile.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
I'm going to assume that many former t-mobile consumers will jump right back in to tmobile... and you'll know the rest.

p.s. i would love to see that pink chick with tmobile riding that bike say..."oh crap, i've been throttled..." :D

I am a former T-Mo customer and I'll definitely get 'em again.

Let's hope for the best for T-Mo in 2013 and leave those greedy, price duopoly bastards (A & V).

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
No way they'll allow the $30 Walmart plan to work with iPhones. They'll either raise the price or block it from getting high speed data if you are using an iPhone

from the Walmart website

"The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com."

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Of courrrrrrrssssee!!

Again, this AFTER I activate my iPhone 5 and I begin a new two year contract with AT&T. :mad:

Oh well, I suppose AT&T will really have to offer me a sweet deal to stick with them in two years. Competition is a great thing! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.