Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
I can't believe to what extent some fans defend their precious product no matter what. "of course you can't carry your phone in your jeans pocket and sit down without taking it out",

I can't sit down with mine in my pocket ( front left) as it is uncomfortable. When I get home I take it out and bung it on a table (floor ,chair, cat depending on sort of day and how stressed) and leave it. :D

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
And now you say that you can't sit down with an iPhone 5 in your jeans pocket because it might bend and that people more or less are morons not to understand this?

I can't believe to what extent some fans defend their precious product no matter what.

I'm not defending any one company. If you wear fitted/tailored pants (I'm not even talking about men/women who squeeze themselves into skinny jeans) it is uncomfortable to sit with any phone or wallet in your pockets. It feels uncomfortable and I think "Hey, I'm putting undue stresses on my phone, maybe I should just take it out." I don't like baggy or "relaxed-fit" pants, so I make adjustments. So I don't carry a wallet and my phone has a credit-card case that hold 3 cards (driver's licence, debit, credit card). Keys go in jackets. My car has a keyfob with keyless entry and push-button start and I don't even have my keys on that. When sitting down in a restaurant or in my car, I take the phone out.

So no, I don't expect any manufacture to build me a bend-proof phone. Even if they did I still wouldn't sit with it because it is uncomfortable.

(I like to dress. I'm not a loose jeans and t-shirt dude.)

djdanny

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Until anyone actually does a stress calculation on this, I'm calling all of this highly unlikely. One, how much bending stress could you possibly be putting on an iphone by sitting with it in your front pocket? The pressure is applied evenly through the top surface of the phone, which should distribute it. Unless your thigh is extremely bony and hard, your flesh will absorb some of that pressure by flattening out and so the force pushing back from your thigh would mostly be distributed over a decent sized area as well. Last, the glass screen itself adds structural rigidity to the phone, and glass is by nature much more brittle than it is ductile.

In short, somebody do a stress calculation showing the bending stress on an iPhone to prove that it's even possible to bend an iphone by sitting with it in your pocket. Otherwise, it's just theories (and unreasonable theories at that). At this rate, people could start claiming that if you push the home button too many times your iPhone will become concave.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I just posted this exact same thing on another thread. I don't mean to be redundant, but it got me thinking.

I wonder if some of the very slightly bent phones came that way, not 100% square/straight. Once I started reading all about these bent phones, I put mine on a glass table and I have to admit it is not perfectly flat, maybe a 0.5 mm space between the phone and glass in one corner. There is no detectable bend in the aluminum edge to my naked eye, and I NEVER would have noticed this unless I read all these posts. Maybe a lot are not perfectly manufactured and have ever so slight imperfections. I would be willing to bet my car is not perfectly symmetrical. Just a thought. I still don't believe my phone is bent, I think it probably came that way and I just noticed.

mirekti

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
So, don't buy one. I don't think apple will go out of business if you don't buy one. Others who actually take care of their phones and don't sit on them will make up for you huge decision..

Correct, but Apple is also removing posts of their hardvare section in discussion forum when scuffs and bending are mentioned.
I've been having a black version in a silicone case for two days and it is fine, for now. A bit affraid of the front pocket stories. Where else should I keep my phone at?
Still, I really dislike the way they are trying to hide flaws the phone has.
Kind of dissapointed in Apple.

Last edited:

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Correct, but Apple is also removing all posts of their hardvare section in discussion forum when scuffs and bending are mentioned.
I've been having a black version in a silicone case for two days and it is fine, for now. A bit affraid of the front pocket stories. Where else should I keep my phone at?
Still, I really dislike the way they are trying to hide flaws the phone has.
Kind of dissapointed in Apple.

That's a 100% lie. They remove DUPLICATE posts (the same users who cry over and over because they either sat on their phone or are trying to create more buzz around a non-issue (perhaps even non-iPhone users! the shock!)).

Just because there aren't tons of posts doesn't mean they are deleting them. It could even more easily indicate there is NO problem. A simple explanation or a wild conspiracy theory... hmmmm???

It's more likely than a phone spontaneously bending I suppose... but that's about all...

mirekti

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Ok, I exaggerated. I guess they remove duplicate only.
I was just too quick on the trigger. I feel quite bad that I bought a product that must be taken special care of if it's in a front pocket and you have to pick up something from the ground... ...cos it migh bend. Are we talking about the most expencive and advanced cell phone at the moment?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I was just too quick on the trigger. I feel quite bad that I bought a product that must be taken special care of if it's in a front pocket and you have to pick up something from the ground... ...cos it migh bend. Are we talking about the most expencive and advanced cell phone at the moment?

It is not like this for everyone. Since I believe skinny jeans are a hideous creation anyway, these seem to be the main cause of why the iPhone may bend in the front pocket. Normal and loose fitting jeans are not causing problems, at least not for me. Thanks to this thread, I was freaking out on my motorcycle again the other day. Rode over 6 hours on the bike in two days on my sport bike all hunched over and still no bending.

This is what leads me to believe people are doing something else to their phones and not knowing about it or lying about it.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I finally was able to test out the bendiness of an iPhone 5 yesterday. I went into a reseller and saw a slate iPhone 5 (along with iPad Mini). I first tried to bend the Mini. It was fairly easy to bend about 1 cm corner to corner (non-diagonal). What I did was hold one hand on the top end, the other hand on the connection end. I used about 50% of force to do that (I didn't want to buy a broken iPad Mini). When I let go it sprang back. I didn't check if it was perfectly flat (the glass).

Next I went to the iPhone 5 tried the same thing (twisting motion). About 50% of force I am capable of. After I let go, I notice that when you look at the glass from the edge, one corner straight, other corner I could see it was bent about 1 mm. So I think what is happening is that the Aluminum memorized the last bent and is holding one corner of the glass a little higher (just 1 mm).

Now, I was actually surprised at the strength of the aluminum, until I realized that the integrity is actually coming from glass and the battery, motherboard and other things inside. Everything is fairly airtight inside, so when I was bending I was trying to bend the insides as well (remember, no air gap). But I think the glass is 1mm off either because the aluminum memorized and held it higher, or the battery or other components inside were twisted and held the glass higher. That is up to debate.

So all those pictures of the Aluminum coming off? The rest of the inside is probably stiff and straight, but the aluminum just memorized where it was bent to and stayed in that shape!

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Lol. and they just watched idly by as you vandalised their property?

Yep. I specifically said that I heard they bend easily, and, as a salesman, he ends up saying how strong they are naturally to try to sell them to me. So I tried to bend them in front of him.:)

Note: From this exercise I think people should note one thing... the iPhone 5 is AIRTIGHT! If you are sitting on it, it is probably going to be the battery and the glass holding your body up. Combined they are thicker than the aluminum. I think with just the shell of aluminum it would be weaker than the strength of the glass and the battery (motherboard, etc etc). So however this fits into the equation of bent iPhone 5, it is fairly important. Although some pictures show only aluminum is bent.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Lol. and they just watched idly by as you vandalised their property?

My thoughts exactly.

Your experiment is still invalid to the rest of us. No video? No pictures afterwards. What constitutes 50% strength for you? What is that in foot pounds? That was a very unscientific method you took to try and prove your point. Go find someone with real test equipment and try again on your own phone instead of destroying a phone in a store that someone may buy, because they will eventually come to macrumors and post about how they bought a bent iPhone from a store.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
That's a 100% lie. They remove DUPLICATE posts (the same users who cry over and over because they either sat on their phone or are trying to create more buzz around a non-issue (perhaps even non-iPhone users! the shock!)).

Just because there aren't tons of posts doesn't mean they are deleting them. It could even more easily indicate there is NO problem. A simple explanation or a wild conspiracy theory... hmmmm???

It's more likely than a phone spontaneously bending I suppose... but that's about all...
So, you've decided it's a non-issue because it doesn't affect you personally? Got it. The internet can go home now.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I finally was able to test out the bendiness of an iPhone 5 yesterday. I went into a reseller and saw a slate iPhone 5 (along with iPad Mini). I first tried to bend the Mini. It was fairly easy to bend about 1 cm corner to corner (non-diagonal). What I did was hold one hand on the top end, the other hand on the connection end. I used about 50% of force to do that (I didn't want to buy a broken iPad Mini). When I let go it sprang back. I didn't check if it was perfectly flat (the glass).

Next I went to the iPhone 5 tried the same thing (twisting motion). About 50% of force I am capable of. After I let go, I notice that when you look at the glass from the edge, one corner straight, other corner I could see it was bent about 1 mm. So I think what is happening is that the Aluminum memorized the last bent and is holding one corner of the glass a little higher (just 1 mm).

Now, I was actually surprised at the strength of the aluminum, until I realized that the integrity is actually coming from glass and the battery, motherboard and other things inside. Everything is fairly airtight inside, so when I was bending I was trying to bend the insides as well (remember, no air gap). But I think the glass is 1mm off either because the aluminum memorized and held it higher, or the battery or other components inside were twisted and held the glass higher. That is up to debate.

So all those pictures of the Aluminum coming off? The rest of the inside is probably stiff and straight, but the aluminum just memorized where it was bent to and stayed in that shape!

:speechless: :facepalm: :certifiable: :crankapalooza:

budman1961

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2010
Really?

Aren't you supposed to bend at the knees anyway?

I think if you continue to "exaggerate" falsehoods, most things you post will be ignored......

I had a 3, 3gs, 4, and now a 5, I really dont understand how abusive people can be with their expensive electronics. Ive never had to replace a screen (no screen protector ever), or a high impact case, like Otterbox.

Maybe this should be called "Exaggerate-gate".......it REAL!

Axelander

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Hooke's law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young%27s_modulus

maybe this can put the technical part of this ideologically loaded discussion to an end :)

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
I came back and read this again but I still can't work out which side you are agreeing with.

iPhone go bendy or no go bendy?

That's all we want to know.

I'm fairly certain EngineeringProf is staring at the OP going *facepalm*
He's just trying to be more diplomatic about it then Radiating.

The only credible thing I've heard VinegerTasters say is that you can't bent the LiquidMetal SIM ejector thingie. And he's right. It'll snap in half.

Personally, I think this thread is troll comedy gold.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Don't know. It's kinda poky so I didn't sit on it. It was a white unicorn and I was looking for a black one with 64 legs so I returned it.

There's talk almost all unicorns are coming with scratches right out of fairy tale land. Apparently the fairies don't get paid enough to care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.