Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
No more than any other illegal activity in any other country.

The Chinese government takes child labor laws very seriously.

You are misinformed if you believe otherwise.

Sent from my iPad, from Suzhou, China

I think you need to read some of the non Chinese censored reports.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
No, just saying that is what's on the books - it's ironic the United States has a lot of loop holes in it's own child labour laws...i.e. kids as young as 12 years old work 10+ hours a day on farms:

http://www.hrw.org/support-care

Youth of any age may work at any time in any job on a farm owned or operated by their parent.

It's farm life. Not a a factory. Huge difference. Under 16 can work no more than 18 hours a week in a normal, non-ag job.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I spend half my year in China, every year, in the high tech manufacturing sector. My observations are personal, not scrubbed or biased.

Did you miss the report 2 months ago of an Apple supplier using child labor and keeping these kids out of school in order to work on the line? The government only stepped in after a HR org reported it.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Did you miss the report 2 months ago of an Apple supplier using child labor and keeping these kids out of school in order to work on the line? The government only stepped in after a HR org reported it.

Yes, there are problems in China - not surprising considering the speed at which the country is growing and changing. But things are 100x better now than a couple decades ago. Things will only improve.

Child labour is an anomaly and not the norm in China.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

Of course not.

I also know this is not common.

I would bet money that in the last year there have been child laborers in the US as well - who have not been reported and not made news because its not sensational to people who hate the Chinese.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
It'll never happen....

Everyone knows that Foxconn pays their employees literally pennies on the dollar for wages. and everyone also knows we as (sometimes lazy) Americans have been spoiled in to thinking we deserve a much higher pay grade than what our actual skill levels show or prove.

that being that, how can Apple produce the same product here in the US that they produce in China w/o cutting in to their profits when it comes to paying higher American wages?

once again, it'll never happen......................

american lockpi

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
I've avoided Apple products since 06(used a Mac computer with OS10 in Desktop Publishing...) because of the whole China origin thing also the Foxxcon suicides didn't help it either... I happened to catch the interview on TV last night about Macs being made in USA and I'm looking forward to getting one for my next computer next year. :)

I was looking at Japanese made Panasonic Toughbook but whats cooler than a Mac. :) Also they should consider bring the Ipad here so I can switch from my Korean made Samsungs. :)

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
It's a pretty safe bet. It'd be a suicide mission for a company as high profile as Apple or Foxconn to set up any kind of substantial manufacturing facility outside of a right to work state.

----------

Americans have worked various shifts at manufacturing and distribution facilities for as long as these businesses have been in operation. Most of these kinds of facilities are open 24/7, it's nothing new. People get hired for a particular shift and work those hours.

Really, I'm explaining the concept of shift work to someone? What are you 12 years old?

That's why I didn't care to explain things to people. There are too many people here on the forums, that aren't American, that don't realize that we can and already do work shifts close to these already. We have multiple places close to my hometown that have people working these shifts. I have a good friend that does it already.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
No more than any other illegal activity in any other country.

The Chinese government takes child labor laws very seriously.

You are misinformed if you believe otherwise.

Sent from my iPad, from Suzhou, China

Where did you hear this?

Last edited:

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
Just like Tim Cook claimed credit for Samsung USA made chips, Apple is going to claim credit for Foxconn investment in USA by throwing 100 Mil into it.

Lot of Chinese hardware sellers like Hauwei face ban from US Federal contracts, so this Foxconn gig may be a work around to get US Federal Govt contracts.

Every chinese vendor who wants to sell to Feds can make some it US of A to quell security concerns.

And by making few high end iMacs and MacBook Pros in same factory, Apple can do a masterful PR spin as always.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Oh The Irony

Apple used to make all the Macs here and they were built by robots. Jobs so hated the American worker that he wasn't satisfied with 97% of the factory being robots so he moved all production to China. The irony is that Foxconn, a Chinese company and not Apple, will be bringing the production and jobs back to America. It will be a Foxconn factory and the American workers will be working for a Chinese company.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
So mostly illegal immigrant Hispanics would take factory jobs for Apple? I find this hard to believe.

Please read again, where does it say illegal immigrants in my post?

Don't think a company like Apple linked via FoxConn would get away with that!

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Please read again, where does it say illegal immigrants in my post?

Don't think a company like Apple linked via FoxConn would get away with that!

You said that Hispanics would be good at those jobs but not Americans, which includes Hispanic Americans. So non-American citizens who are in America (illegal immigrants).

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
You said that Hispanics would be good at those jobs but not Americans, which includes Hispanic Americans. So non-American citizens who are in America (illegal immigrants).

You don't get it!

There are a lot of legal non-American Hispanics in this country. It is not necessary to take on American citizenship to be here legally.
(I am not American, but here legally)

And again: Apple/FoxConn being scrutinized at every step by the press would not get away with hiring illegal immigrants of any kind.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Where did you here this?

The internet

----------

Of course not.

I also know this is not common.

I would bet money that in the last year there have been child laborers in the US as well - who have not been reported and not made news because its not sensational to people who hate the Chinese.

Wait...so you are saying that in America we don't report child labor and we only report about child labor in China because we hate the Chinese?

:confused:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Wait...so you are saying that in America we don't report child labor and we only report about child labor in China because we hate the Chinese?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Child labor law violations by a US company are not news.

Those same violations by those nasty, heathen Chinese who are taking all of our jobs, is sensationalized news.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Child labor law violations by a US company are not news.

Those same violations by those nasty, heathen Chinese who are taking all of our jobs, is sensationalized news.

Wow. I guess there is no point in trying to continue an intelligent conversation with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.