Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BBC's iPlayer app has been updated for the iPhone 5, bringing full 16:9 viewing to the app -- a welcome addition for UK television watchers. The BBC iPlayer for iPhone launched last December, bringing Live TV and Radio along with catch-up TV over Wi-Fi and cellular to the device.

NewImage7.png
One feature still missing is full support for AirPlay, though users can use AirPlay mirroring to send programs to the Apple TV.
What's New in Version 2.0.2

Huge thanks for all of your feedback on our last update. The team at BBC HQ have been busy preparing this shiny new release. We really hope that you like it.

Updates include:

- Support for iPhone 5 - a full screen of BBC iPlayer goodness and no more black bars!

- Watching programmes on the iPad has had a facelift. Check out what's behind the "More" and "Live Channels" buttons.

- It's already available on the iPad, and now you can plug your phone into your telly.

- Feedback on the BBC iPlayer downloads feature has been great. We've fixed a number of bugs to hopefully make it even better!
BBC iPlayer is a free download for users in the UK. [Direct Link]

Article Link: BBC iPlayer Updated for iPhone 5 (UK Only)

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
That screen in corner of our lounge definitely a telly, and I'm pretty sure iplayer has had full AirPlay support for a while. Certainly has with new app.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I love the word telly.

Telly! Telly! Telly! Telly!

That screen in corner of our lounge definitely a telly, [….]

Come on now everyone, if someone doesn't like people saying 'Telly' we shouldn't keep saying 'Telly' at them purely because they don't like people saying 'Telly'.

BTW, does anyone remember what that actor was in the TV (not Telly) show Kojak? Terence… Todd… Terry?! No, it's gone from my memory, never mind.

Last edited:

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
At least AirPlay mirroring works with the BBC iPlayer from iOS devices - unlike Channel 4's 4OD app which displays a placeholder image on the TV screen instead of the video. :rolleyes:

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
BTW, does anyone remember what that actor was in the TV (not Telly) show Kojak? Terence… Todd… Terry?! No, it's gone from my memory, never mind.

I like your style! :D

This App came in very handy in the summer for watching GB gold medals while I was on the train to the Olympic Park, so I welcome the updates.

PS - Telly Savalas, for the benefit of anyone who wasn't even born then!

solusoracle

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2007
I think that Airplay works!

Double Tap Home Button > Swipe Left 2 times > Select Airplay Button > Select Apple TV and then I can see what I want on my big screen via my ATV3.

Is anyone getting different results?

iknowitall

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
At least AirPlay mirroring works with the BBC iPlayer from iOS devices - unlike Channel 4's 4OD app which displays a placeholder image on the TV screen instead of the video. :rolleyes:

AirPlay (video) does work for 4OD app, I use it all the time as does iPlayer. iTV and Channel5 app doesn't.

Last edited:

Roger47

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
AirPlay works just fine on iPlayer. 4OD works for some content, but not others depending on their license agreements I think.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
"Your mother is so fat when she fell down the stairs I thought Eastenders was going off"

Last edited:

yogi477

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
England
I've been able to get airplay to work for a while. Maybe the article means there is no airplay button in the app itself, such as there is when you have on screen controls for a video from the store.

What I can't get to work is watching the iPlayer desktop app from my MacBook Air using Airplay - I don't get any sound. Anyone got this to work?

adm.hpe

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Ah… it must be the content I'm choosing then.
I think it may have been episodes of Homeland or possibly Friday Night Dinner that wouldn't AirPlay…

I'm glad this works via AirPlay through Apple TV. 4OD doesn't, but watching that darn thing is so frustrating anyway, SO MANY ADVERTS.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I think that Airplay works!

Double Tap Home Button > Swipe Left 2 times > Select Airplay Button > Select Apple TV and then I can see what I want on my big screen via my ATV3.

Is anyone getting different results?
Unless anything's changed, you're quite right. Not sure what they're on about.

(edit: yes it still works fine)

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
I'm glad this works via AirPlay through Apple TV. 4OD doesn't, but watching that darn thing is so frustrating anyway, SO MANY ADVERTS.

But it also seems quite intelligent. I've been getting frustrated with the ads, but last night I started watching Homeland at 12.30 (a.m.) and there was only one short ad at the beginning. They've got some clever stuff going on which seems to deliver different ads and different quantities at different times...

Tiptopp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.